1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Well-Known Member

Is "free Polish" a euphemism for something?

2. blahman

blahman Well-Known Member

what what what what what what what what

3. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

I've seen a pair of triple monks from Bontoni - at the same Tassels store. It looked a little ghastly to me. Like an extra boob on a woman. Again, purely subjective, of course.

4. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

I think one of the issues underscoring our philisophical misgivings is that while this thread situates itself in 'classic meanswear', a lot of us do not necessarily dress in a 'classic menswear' way, or context, but instead seek to find other Australians with whom we can talk about clothes, shops, life, make friends, be social, etc, etc.

People are right to some extent: sneaker, jeans, etc don't belong here. They are not really appropriate. To that I'd say that the attraction of this thread is that it is a close knit community within a specific area, and I think we all value that aspect of this interaction, and in this way contributions to the thread are always valuable.

That being said, I think that there are two important considerations:
    1) The language of classic menswear (which I think is a much more useful term than 'rules') can teach any male a lot about appropriateness, colour combinations, etc
    2) The way people who consider themselves experts express themselves is often polemic, disrespectful and rude. I really don't think there's any excuse or reason for being venemous.

3 people like this.
  5. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Just watched Django and it was pretty darn good!

1 person likes this.
  6. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

[​IMG] nicely put.

7. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

Yeah, seen the same pair myself. The leather quality/appearance and the build were fantastic though. I can still see it in my mind.

Hehe, the extra boob comment, hehe, I bet you have watched one too many reruns of Total Recall (both versions!!). I would even venture to guess that you flew Cathay Pacific sometime in the past few weeks. [​IMG]

8. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Even though this thread is in the "Classic Menswear" section, I think it should also be used to discuss SW & D that strays into the "Classic Menswear" realm - jeans, nice shorts, clean sneaks, quality t shirts etc. etc. The kind of things you can imagine on JFK, SMcQ and their ilk.

Rick Owens, Junya Wantanabe and the like need not apply.

It would be pointless to have another Australian members specific thread in SW & D - we would all just end up having to check two threads at once.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  9. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Back to the minutiae:

Pleated pants

Who wears them? Do you go forward/reverse, double or single?

Are there any "rules" for pleats i.e. only with belt loops, or only without belt loops & with bracers etc.?

I have ordered some casual cotton/linen pants with single reverse pleats (I know forward is more trad, but it just doesn't look as good to my eye) and belt loops.

I'm considering adding pleats to the second pair of trousers I'll order for my PJ suit with adjusters and internal buttons for bracers (the other pair has belt loops and no pleats - so I think it will be a nice way to differentiate the two).

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I've got a few pairs of RL Polo trousers with pleats, both odd trousers and suit trousers. RL seems to prefer forward pleats, and I find that as long as the trousers are cut fairly generously, that's fine. However, forward pleats seem to have a tendency to flare open more than reverse pleats if trousers aren't well cut.

I've got a couple of pairs of MTO trousers where I specified a single, deep reverse pleat on each side and they are great. Where I have a choice, I favour reverse over forward pleats.

11. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Your avatar would be proud of you!

I procrastinated on buying a pair one night for BIN USD250 nearly brand new and lost out.

BONTONI forever I say!

12. Selvaggio

I think pleated pants without belt loops are grouse.

Back in the day I had a pair with six pleats each side. Oh yeah!

13. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Been biting my tongue on this philosophical discussion, but there is a comment I would like to make.

If Foo or Manton were to relocate to the Arctic Circle or to the Sahara Desert, do you think they would continue to insist on "the rules", or do you reckon they might start to adopt some of the local ways of dressing? I suspect that bespoke Rubinacci suits might fall out of favour pretty darn quick.

My point is that appropriate dress has a cultural and environmental context that the utra-fastidious do not take into account. I do not believe that either Foo or Manton has spent enough time in Australia to warrant them being held up as experts that we must copy.

"The rules", such as they are, seem to be largely derived from the way English people dressed about 100 years ago. The business, social and climatic environment we live in is totally different to that, and sometimes following "the rules" can only lead us into days of massive personal discomfort when dealing with conditions that these gents have probably never had to dress for.

2 people like this.
  14. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Were you previously known as MC Hammer, by any chance??

15. fox81

fox81 Well-Known Member

I second quar's post that the rest of you are small timers :)

1 person likes this.
  16. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

thanks for the essay I have no idea what you are trying to say. I never said to ignore rules yada yada, nor did I say to be half assed - I said to listen, learn, observe etc then dress how you like. That assumes one gathers and understands rules before applying them to one's own wardrobe choices. Using your picasso example - he went through many periods and pushed the envelope of what was acceptable but ultimately painted how he liked based on his influence at the time - not on what was accepted or what was written in books from centuries past.

17. lennier

lennier Well-Known Member

:worship:

18. Selvaggio

Oops!

Actually, mine were a dark grey PoW check - but very full and very pleated. I thought they were the bees' knees.

19. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

Code:

Ha! I take pride in my small-timeredness.

Go play with your flannel, noob.

Harrumph!

20. Markus1984

Markus1984 Well-Known Member

Hi Guys, bout to get started this week in placing a few items for sale on here - but just gauge the interest, any one like:

- pair of Allen Edmond Walnut Strands (size 9) including matching belt - two months old, purchased while in Orlando. http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6105_1_40000000001_-1 quote]

Just letting you know it's up in the For Sale section - regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.