1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Was really lusting after this wingtip and was looking for a more midrange shoes (C&J or Carmina are at American Tailors) so yeah :)
    P.S.
    I think this guy is an owner(s) of Double Monk (last sentence).

2. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

3. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Well-Known Member

TB, I have the same issue with my feet. They are 12.5cm wide, but average length. In other words I am a 9 - 9.5 in length, but need an 11EEE for width. There are three things you can do. Firstly, accept you just need to wear longer shoes than is ideal and get used to it. Secondly, have your shoes made for you - cheapest way to do this with acceptable results is a business like Zees in Hong Kong. Or you can look to the US makers like Alden, which (with the size of their market) have some very non-standard lasts available (the only problem being these last can produce shoe of truly majestic ugliness ...though some are okay - have look on their site).

If your feet are flat and you need a special foot bed, Option three above might be your best bet.

4. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Bunny - don't end up like that unshaven stitches bloke with 37,000 posts and either never listen or absorb any advice.

I don't want to be rude, but I and others always have the same message, if your feet are in any way a bit hard to fit in grown ups shoes - don't order online - go and get fitted - in a low to mid range shoe first and then SEE HOW IT GOES before you buy more on that same last or brand or online or in shop.

There are plenty of good brogues in Loakes lines. Sure you won't get a picture you can post on WTFexpensiveshoesI'mWearingToday but you will have some high quality shoes that will look good, wear well and fit you.

5. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

More Double Monk pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

Still not open afaik. They will stock EG too.

7. joiji

joiji Well-Known Member

That ladder doesn't fit their aesthetic at all.

8. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

looks similar to the carmina store in paris

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

I thought it was interior design sprezzatura.

10. Plestor

Plestor Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone who turned up to the Brisbane meet, it was delightful. A special shoutout to Windowpane1967 for the organising the meet.

Elvish, I'm somewhat keen for the breakfast if you and or others are still interested.

On double monk have we heard anything on prices?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  11. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Store looks nice. Not sure if it's been mentioned by anyone else but I'm really not sold on the name. It's shoe relavant, but too relavant to the present fashion. And what I mean s in 10 years time double monks will most likely have come and gone and wont be remotely #menswear anymore and the name will be useless.

12. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Well-Known Member

Brisbane Gents,
    Before it closed, Shades in Queen st Mall, Brisbane stocked IMO a great of spec's and sunglasses. More to the point however l believe a SF'er did work there... Mahogany brogued derby's off memory! Concur anyone? And are you lurking?
    To the cricket - Johnson made an impressive return! Starc what a GUN!

13. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

RE Shoes and odd sizes, I often plump them up on here but... Allen Edmonds have a huge range of shoes made on a wide variety of lasts, many made in sizes A to EEE, and can be had shipped to Aus for <$250 at times from large US stores with fast shipping and liberal return policies

They should be at least on par with and likely better than Loakes in the mid to upper end shoe discussion.

They should be your first port of call if you have a narrow foot.

14. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Geoffrey what size are you? I have some brown suede C&J Kent that I don't wear any more. Size UK 11E.

15. aKula

aKula Well-Known Member

"Elegance is refusal"

16. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Well-Known Member

Yes has been embarked upon previously at Top End functions. May have to be this time also. I not be succumbing to this concept that is Territory Rig. I will however report back upon learning what is actually is.

17. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Well-Known Member

Was a pleasure Plestor. For someone who is still new here and still learning a lot, todays catchup was yet another learning experience.

Look forward to the next one.

18. aKula

aKula Well-Known Member

If you don't know your size in a last buy your shoes in a store if it's going to make you anxious. Have a scotch and relax, I suggest the Laphroaig.

19. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Thursday was a 38 degree day here in Melbourne which meant it was still pretty warm by the time we got to the bar. When I got there, CheckStar and Lennier were already well into it. Eventually, we were joined by Appolyon, Akula, California Dreamer (good to see the shoulder has healed) and Aaron from Herringbone. All very good company and the drinks flowed. The talk went all over the place from food to matters sartorial to Appolyon's previous track record at The Aylesbury [​IMG]

The night passed pretty quickly in a blur of alcohol and banter and Appolyon and I stayed on for a few drinks after that.

I wish more people could have turned up. Still, it was a pretty decent crowd and a great night.

Thanks to CheckStar for organising it!

20. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

Good to hear that everything worked well GN!

A guy from work made this Click Frenzy parody using the Hitler scenario:

Enjoy :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.