1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Well-Known Member

On a similar issue have had one of these for some years now, in fact have had three, left one in hotel, one dropped on the floor and recently purchased the replacement. They are essential pieces of kit for all of us. If there is one pet hate besides women's peep toed shoes, its men with hairy ears and noses - THERE IS NO EXCUSE!!. For $19 from Harvey (the greatest online own goal) Norman, bargain!!.

[​IMG]

This was me before the trimmer

[​IMG]

This is me now!!

[​IMG]

Do yourselves a favor if you not already owners of one. It always amazes me that women continue to wear peep toed shoes (WTF) and men dont see their hairy ears and noses.

2. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

^ You got collar gap like Clooney?

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Yeah once you hit 30 the old nose hair is a never ending battle...

4. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Henry Bucks

5. Windowpane1967

Yeah, grows faster than on my head!!! What the hells that about?

6. Windowpane1967

I had no idea. Thanks for that. I frequent the Collins St store whenever I am there, for some reason have never noticed ETRO. Thanks again.

7. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Just my observation from thrifting the Bone stuff but the shirts and ties were much better about 5 years ago IMO. I was wearing a very nice Bone tie I thrifted and the silk Made in Italy quality was like a hand made job with robust silk.

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

WP1967, I don't know if it is still stocked there, but Mitchell Ogilvie used to have some more casual Etro gear - mainly shirts and odd jackets - in stock when they were nearer the bottom of the Mall on Edward St. I haven't been in there since they moved further down Edward St about a year ago and so am not sure if they still have any Etro stock.

9. Windowpane1967

I did have a look at Ogilvie's, nothing in the Edward Street or the Emporium stores. Just regret not buying a couple of pieces when I was in HK - talk about reverse buyers remorse!!

10. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

5 years ago, ties were still made in Como, Italy. When they shifted production to Tunisia, I kept an open mind, hoping that things wouldn't change.

Unfortunately, quality took a turn for the worse, and now we have woven ties that do not last (the stitching on mine came loose after about 5 wears) and print ties that coil up like slinkies when unfurled to full length (as if the thread holding the tie together is somehow too short and tight). :paranoia:

11. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  12. Windowpane1967

Just saw that....hahah! Trust you to notice that fine detail.

13. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Australia!
    You're standing in it.

1 person likes this.
  14. Windowpane1967

Geesh this makes me laugh. What a circus. Seems the in patients at the institutions have been let loose, including those form DJs. As an exercise in project management and stockholder value creation, this is a FAIL. What a laughing stock this has been. Harvey (online own goal) Norman... whats left to say really.

15. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

I wrote an analyst report on HVN back in June/July when it was trading at 1.96. What a joke of a company. Old management stuck in the 20th century. It was hard finding anything good that warranted an investment in the company. It was trading at book value. I am suprised no one has bought it out and just sold the assets? Now it is down at $1.815.

16. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Well-Known Member

Poor project management at it's best. How they failed to predictive model the effect increased traffic would have on their servers is beyond me. Whichever company ran Click Frenzy really needs to either; hire people with IT strategy/database management and sysadmin skills or contract it out to Consultants if they want to continue trading as a going concern.

The sad thing is that a company probably exists which would effectively run a very successful Click Frenzy campaign but won't get the opportunity as retailers are even more jaded than before.

17. thebrownman

fxh's gag about the hand ... job was well played. Really well played. LOL.

18. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Michael - as you know HN - well Gerry Harvey -( I don't know their exact structure - I suspect Gerry and his missus have neatly put the solid assets in their name and the liabilities in the shareholders name) - is slightly valuable because of the land and buildings. Mostly in good big box areas. But the whole franchise model is very rickety and his retail model is more old skool than Myers etc. Its only a matter of time.

If Bunnings/Officeworks move into big box household - and it would be an easy move - he'll be talking* to KordaMentha before you can say dodgy racing industry or import tax.

edit:: and bleating all over a compliant media about unfair treatment - GST/imports customers, government etc

19. thebrownman

LOL I was just shit stirring.. Collar gap seems to be one of those things that will happen to everyone at some point or another.

A bit like this gem from Oscar Wilde: "No object is so beautiful that, under certain conditions, it will not look ugly."

20. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.