1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

I'm not TBM but I'll respond by saying it depends on the cotton/weave. Some cotton jackets look like sacks, crease like hell and don't hold their shape at all.

Usually I prefer cotton blend jackets where the fabric is blended with wool, cashmere, silk etc. as the fabric tends to hold its shape a bit better while remaining light enough for summer.

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

That's a very nice collection, not least of all because it looks like you actually wear all of your shoes.

3. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Thanks Brownman. Pretty much what I am thinking too, but wanted to get GN's feedback as I know he has shoes from both and can do the comparison.

Think I would really like the Lobb's - http://mostexerent.tumblr.com/post/4244658856/there-are-double-monks-then-there-are-double
    but even if I could afford them (or find them anywhere) I do not think I could justify the cost...I need want some suede loafers too, so think two very good pairs of shoes in the next few months is better for me that one very, very good pair.

In the future (prob years from now) I think I will get a pair of simple black oxfords from Lobb or Edward Green to be my "best" shoe.

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

PS, thebrownman said it better that I could have and I agree with what he's said. I prefer the Simpson last to the 348 for the reasons above. It just looks more elegant to my eyes. Depending on the shape of your foot, you might want to consider the other lasts. I have a pair of double monks on the Inca and they're very comfortable for my borderline-wide feet. If I were to get a pair of calf shoes on the Simpson, I would most likely size up by half a size. If your feet don't have the wideness issue, you may not need to do this. American Tailors has Carminas on this last so you might want to try and get your size that way.

5. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

He would say "Nearly enough" [​IMG]

Seriously, though, I have around 26 pairs not including a pair of sneakers.

6. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Well-Known Member

Hi Journey Man
    What an amazing collection! especially loved the split toe Ferragamo Lavarazione Originale(look similar to the Carmina Simpson split toe derby) and the Edward Green on the 202 (are they cordovan?)
    Now to post your suits and ties [​IMG]

7. Pink Socks

Thanks GN. Might have to go into American Tailors and have a look. My feet (or my right one at least) are very wide at the moment, thanks to an injury in training, it has ballooned to double the size and I am hobbling like something out of Monty Python. Visiting the doctor tomorrow to make sure it is not serious and once it goes down I will visit AT. Appreciate you and thebrownman's sage advice.

In other news, was one of you chaps near Flagstaff this morning in mustard colour trousers, nice shoes (possibly no socks? sorry, fxh) and a blazer. A girl at work told me she spotted someone and originally thought it was me as they were dressed in the same "dapper" (her word) style. Actually, if she mistook them for me it was probably a homeless man or something...

8. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

Very interesting JM, a really varied collection.

9. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Pinky - give some thought to single, black, captoe monks - a better longer term investment than doubles.

On another matter - I think you do a me a disservice and unfairly portray me as a grumpy old fart prejudiced against bare ankles and no socks.

Its just not true - I can see a place for no socks - if you are swimming or on your way to the shower at home, f'rinstance.

There might be others but I'd have to have a long think.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  10. Pink Socks

Not grumpy or old, just prejudiced! Only joking, we all know now the sun is starting to come out you are putting your socks away....

Am not really a fan of standard single monks, to be honest.

I do like the cutaway monk like this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but would want them in suede or brown. My next want/need is another pair of black shoes and I have had my eye on double monks for a while (since spotting them in Bernhard Roetzel Gentleman book about 10 years) and have thought long and hard about them (since I do not have anything serious to do with my time).

11. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Well-Known Member

Could have been me. I was at Flagstaff this morning, say a bit after 8ish. Rocking my new navy Herringbone 'Florentine Weave' jacket (wool, silk and linen blend) that I scored at the recent 30% off sale. Trousers are cotton Khaki but can look mustard in certain lights.

12. Pink Socks

Time sounds about right. Not sure if you should feel complimented (for having "dapper" style) or insulted (for being compared to me).

13. CHECKstar

If your tumblr is anything to go by, I'd take either!

14. Pink Socks

That is just a front I am afraid!

15. Romp

Romp Well-Known Member

My prediction is for black suede single straps to be the next best thing in #menswear world ;)

16. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

Two new developments at Herringbone, neither good:

1) Massimo is gone; he got his walking papers on Monday apparently; and

2) Now that they own Rhodes & Beckett, they've got R&B's design team running the show back at Herringbone!

R&B in charge of design?!?!

That's supposed to be a good thing?!?!

Really?!?!

Van Laack has truly, royally screwed up the brand.

17. JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa Well-Known Member

If I am not mistaken, Herringbone doesn't do a size 36 as well.

So, R&B and Herringbone are owned by the same mob?

18. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

....went thrifting today...and wondered how on earth you guys do it?
    I'm from Melbourne and wandered around in the CBD for a while (no luck) and then moved to South Yarra (no luck) and finally to St Kilda (no luck).
    Maybe it's just where I'm going, but I never find anything good T_T Just wondering where and how you guys thrift in Melbourne?

19. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Well-Known Member

TehBunny,
    Plan B.... Melbourne hosts a significant proportion of Style Forum notables (no names need to be mentioned). With cunning and guile acquire their addresses, perhaps pay a visit, 3am, make your way into the backyard or scale your way to the balcony or roof top if need be, by that stage there will be a clothes line...The rest is up to you.... Desperate Times, Desperate Measures

20. CHECKstar

This is not great news at all. Would have thought it would make better sense to get the Herringbone team to design for R&B.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.