1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

True. I know my 'size'. Sometimes glasses don't suit my face whether they fit me or not.

His wife bought him a green Hermes breast wallet - he's not doing too badly.

2. benf

benf Well-Known Member

Quote: ~$100 including 2-way postage.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  3. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Hopefully that's a joke and no-one would actually, ever, in real life, send their shoes from one city to another so as to have flush toe-taps fitted.

As I mentioned just a few posts back:

Quote:

1 person likes this.
  4. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

I think if someone has spent X hundreds of dollars on their EG's or CJ's, AND they really wanted the look of flush toe taps, they WOULD spend 100 bucks and ship their shoes interstate. It's quite reasonable to get the desired aesthetic, and I don't get what the joke is. The words "cheap and durable" do not factor into the equation, and looking better while achieving desired function is arguably better performance.

Also, can't help but feel that the author of that guardian article on Burton's owner has some element of antisemitism in his writing... Can't quite put my finger on it...

5. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

Don't think I would blow $100 just to get flush taps. If you're ordering new shoes from DM though it's a no brainer.

Tend to agree with iSurg though, if you're spending $1500 on a pair of shoes what's another $100 to protect the (sometimes) fastest wearing part of the shoe.

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Perhaps I was a bit too harsh in my post, but the point that I was making is that, although flush toe-taps do look nicer than the crescent-shaped ones, they don't serve any greater practical purpose over and above the crescent-shaped ones, and what's more, no-one else will see them.

So while they might look nicer, you're the only person that will see them or notice them. Whether that's worth paying $100 and having the hassle of posting your shoes somewhere, as opposed to your regular cobbler fitting the crescent-shaped ones for $10 or $20, is clearly a subjective, value judgement.

1 person likes this.
  7. jrb666

jrb666 Well-Known Member

I met a guy at the Double Monk opening in Sydney who may be able to assist. I'm pretty sure he mentioned that he did flush top taps.

His business card says:

Focusing on By hand
    Shoe Re-Crafting
    Short run Leather Goods
    Esoteric Supplies

Nathan Baxter, Baxter & Black 0414 568 114.

1 person likes this.
  8. iSurg

iSurg Well-Known Member

JM, I get what you are trying to say... but....

Making this my last point:

I guess, with shoes (and life in general), there are many elements which are unseen but are perceived contributors to quality, for those so inclined.

Another good example would be a beveled waist. Again, if you spent X hundreds to get that sexy beveled waist (on a part of a shoe that no one sees but you), why the eff wouldn't you get the flush toe taps? Putting on a plastic crescent tap on that would be an absolute travesty, and I think most would agree with me.

I think most people wear such expensive shoes for themselves and not others, and thus the MOST important person to impress and notice these trivial details is the wearer themselves. Whether or not others notice these details should not factor in the decision-making process.

You also continue to comment that having taps flushed is a subjective value judgement. I argue that you can't assert that unless you coordinate and run some weird #menswear double-blinded RCT. You would HAVE to use some other measurements apart from delayed wear on the sole. I would suggest looking at gait pattern, slip-trip events, scratching of floor surfaces, etc. But, that does sound majorly wanky. However, just because you can't prove effect doesn't mean it ceases to exist. So, I really just had a problem with your concept.

Sorry to keep harping on. Just 2c on sexy shoes that I have never owned and probably never will because I just don't make enough fuk u money.

1 person likes this.
  9. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

And now, these....

[​IMG]

10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Well-Known Member

Just topy the fuckers.

8 people like this.
  11. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Few Loake 1880 boxes at Rekaris. Someone obviously got them in before the ban.

12. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

Berluti?

13. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Thanks FXH. Had some fun at the exhibit. Melbourne is fun.
    Isn't that what you see when you look into someone's eyes?

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

The guy on the other side of the desk often looks at mine.

15. Arch3r

Arch3r Well-Known Member

And so the carousel keeps spinning... [​IMG]

Meccariello. Beautiful shoes if you have the dollars.

16. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

Still pretty decent value for money.

17. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, @Pink Socks , @MrKimber , another friend and myself went for a workshop to learn all about indigo dyeing (shibori). The 5 hour workshop was great fun and I've put some photos up on my blog:
    http://gezzasmenswear.tumblr.com/post/142944198787/at-the-indigo-dyeing-workshop-we-got-a-chance-to
    http://gezzasmenswear.tumblr.com/post/142944076097/i-attended-an-indigo-dyeing-workshop-today-and-it

After the workshop, we all got a chance to dye our own stuff so I dyed a Brooks Brothers OCBD, Sunspel long sleeve polo, French Connection short sleeve polo and a pair of Rivers socks. The first three were white and the last was cream. They now look beautiful and I can't wait to wear them. The six or so women were quite amused with the four of us and how interested we were in the process. @Pink Socks even dyed a cashmere scarf and it looks fantastic.

1 person likes this.
  18. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Talking my language now

I'm guessing Tie Dye will come back in soonish.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  19. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

You know that I put the brand of socks in just for you, right?

20. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

What do you mean back. I see young people wearing it all the time.