1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

I'm also mindful that fragrances reacts differently to people's skins, so JM is right, it's subjective. I found that Tuscan leather is barely detectable by the end of the day. I can see why she thinks it smells like a chesterfield factory - however I find the scent of raspberries more prominent than the leather.

1 person likes this.
  2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

I'll add a few to the list there...

For leather, try Hermessence cuir d'ange (Hermes store), Dior Cuir Canage (Dior Boutiques), Tom Ford Ombre Leather (David Jones), Le Labo Cuir 46 (selected Mecca's) and if you're in Syd/Melb then go to Men's Biz.

For pine - Tom Ford Italian Cypress (if you can still find it), Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles (Mecca)

And along the lines of burned wood, leather, pine, etc check out the various Comme Des Garcons and a bunch of the Amouage line. Oh and that whole new green series from Fords line too.

1 person likes this.
  3. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

I'm busy Wednesday but free Friday next week, does that suit the four of us?

Otherwise, let's default to Thursday and hope the elder fox is available.

As for location - somewhere near Kingston on the water, I don't know where's good or average, so looking to you fellas for advice.

4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Well, a big thanks to everyone for the scent advice. Lots of options and opinions. Appreciate the input.

Keen to try Norne solely because of Seb's very evocative description!

5. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Not an issue, happy to help.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. The Ernesto

Where would we be without you, foxy...

2 people like this.
  7. Bravo Sierra

Bravo Sierra Well-Known Member

Morning all,

Trawling through the trash online I came across this article re The Six Essential Shoes every man should own.

It's the last paragraph referring to Chelsea boots that got me (I chose to ignore the rest). The line about RM Williams now being a luxury boot maker....
    So much for that blue collar / farmer heritage.

Thoughts?

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Seeing as I've been reading some hardcore Marxist theory this week I would say it's a simple fetishising and fabricated desire based on the romanticised myth of the outback that the band possesses in the popular urbane imigination. And the exploitation of this by the LVMH Group to increase sales based on exclusivity. From there it's a simple matter of absence & desire on the part of the surplused monied consumer who is seeking to fill a void in the banality of their existence. I also would venture that in the workers milieu that both their cultural capital and symbolic power would rise amongst their peers by their ownership of a custom made pair of Emu/Crocodile skin CV RM boots.

Disclaimer I do own four pairs of RM boots varying from 25 to 10 years old.

9. acinod

acinod Well-Known Member

Gents,

Suitsupply suit just arrived and I need a tailor. Used to go to Sam and Feys near Docklands but seems like the man's retired.

Any suggestions?

10. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

I think he might have move - he has quite a few fans here who will remind you.

I use Chronic Fix on Greville - but mostly for jeans etc these days - the woman there who owns it is really good.

11. Bravo Sierra

Firstly allow me to salute this beautiful response [​IMG]

Second, given the age of your collection, you certainly meet the 'exception to the rule' threshold.

And last, I always wanted a pair myself and should have bought these long before the LVMH investment thus avoiding the now $595 price tag.
    Still, there are options online (Nungar trading etc.)

GF - Any recommendations in terms of the models?
    (Definitely not suede.)

P.S. I'm a 12H if anyone hears of any steals..

12. Geoffrey Firmin

Comfort Craftsman in Roo? PoP has a pair in Camel I think. Nungar is where I got mine.

13. Bravo Sierra

To all,

I've been trialling a new BO buster / anti odurant which seems to be a locally produced all natural product.

Paying premium prices for others like the Baxter range (via a great discount thanks to GF) is still a little too much on the hip pocket, and following a bit of research I came across this - nopong

It's cheap ($5.95 a tin ex shipping) and seems to do the job. I've been using it for the most part of a week now and it holds up to the daily sweats and toils of an office/deadlines, trudging through the 40+ degree heat to and from public transport in your best threads (without any damage to them....so far) and seems to hold through the night if I omit the odd night shower during the really hot evenings.

The smell: Citrus (Orange/Lime) meets a whiff of cedarwood, coconut, bergamot, lemongrass. After 7hrs of wear you can still smell the lime with a hint of coconut. It's not over-powering unless you douse yourself in it. Definitely a summery smell.

Ingredients (from back of tin): Coconut Oil, Sodium Bicarbonate, Zea Mays (Corn), Starch, Cera Alba (Beeswax), all naural fragrance (proprietary blend of 100% pure certified organic essential oils - Orange Sweet, Vanilla, Lemongrass, Cedarwood Atlas, Bergamot, Lime, Frankincense, Ylang Ylang and Geranium)

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with this company, product or staff.

I may keep this as a go to everyday-er for the warm/hot months. Give it a go and let me know your thoughts.

B.

4 people like this.
  14. Bravo Sierra

Just the very same one I was thinking of.

Do you have any experience with their Dynamic Flex sole?

15. Petepan

Petepan Well-Known Member

The Dynamic Flex sole feels like you are wearing sneakers. Very comfy.

16. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Sam is still in operation. He has moved to 10 Guest Lane. His phone number is (03) 9642-7442.

17. The Ernesto

Have been looking at products like this, so just bought a tin. Thanks!

18. Marbles

Marbles Well-Known Member

I'm tied up on Thursday until about 7, Friday definitely a no-go for me. I'll get there when I can if you go ahead with Thurs.

The Dock, and Walt and Burley are pretty good pub-style venues, but probably busy. Food at W&B is average in my opinion but there are plenty of other places down that way if you decide to have a proper meal.

19. Geoffrey Firmin

I use a French alum block, brand name Alepia as a non scented and non staining deodorant also useful for slight shaving nicks to stop bleeding.

20. d4g6k11

d4g6k11 Active Member

Nungar is where I ordered mine too. It's taking an age for my order to be filled though. I went with kangaroo.

EDIT: No doubt the wait is not Nungar's fault.