1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. melbournites

melbournites Active Member

If you are interested I have an extra navy 38 slim straight selvage UNIQLO in original packaging and tags. I clicked buy twice. Good value and perfect for a warmer climate. [​IMG]

2. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

When I was there a few years ago it really struck me as a throwback, they still had the old style glass cases with shirts on display (think they renovated a bit since then). Was a very stiff atmosphere but had a bit of banter with the older guy serving there when I bought a shirt, he was actually talking about the need to modernise, what younger people wanted the the dilemmas of overseas production. Of course I was in full 'don't really give a stuff what you might think of me' mode which helped strike up a conversation. Was less well received at Ede and Revenscroft.

3. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Have you tried on their size 36? I find their jeans quite forgiving.

1 person likes this.
  4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

Like an old bottle of wine, it depends on how it's been stored. Stored in dry, dark places, perfume can last a long time. I have a 100 year old bottle of Jicky that is still quite wearable.

Clear bottles like these are a worry because they will suffer from light strike if left in the open. Opening them and smelling them is the best test, and they were quite OK.

What does happen with most vintage is that they lose complexity over time. Some of the more ephemeral, brighter notes vanish and you're left with the heavier spices, woods, incense and oakmoss. With these two, even though they are supposedly the same scent, the more empty one skips the opening notes and jumps straight to the spices. It's not bad, just not the original design.

5. d4g6k11

d4g6k11 Active Member

Tempting! Are you selling for the ticketed price or did you pick them up on special? Tell me you picked them up on special!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  6. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Even at $60, it's pretty good.

1 person likes this.
  7. melbournites

melbournites Active Member

Paid full price. With larger sizes often by the time they go on sale they quickly go unavailable.

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Well this is typical I go to H&H and find that the Country Check shirts in my size are all sold out. :brick:

On the positive yesterday Mrs GF presented me with a belated birthday present Men and Style: Essays, Interviews and Considerations by David Goggins. Not something to plough through but more of book to dip in and out of over an extended period of leisured time.

Mensbiz discount code for February WZ9H6G

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    3 people like this.
  9. nabilmust

nabilmust Well-Known Member

Yassssss

1 person likes this.
  10. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Yes - although I'm not sure about the "slim straight" fit, but certainly the regular fit is forgiving.

Also, I know that a lot of people recommend going down a size in selvedge denim jeans and then wearing them in as the fabric/waistband will apparently stretch a bit. I'm no denimhead, though, so I'm not sure if that is a fairly universal rule or whether it has limited application.

Interesting - thanks for that, CD.

11. d4g6k11

d4g6k11 Active Member

Who is an Aussie styleforum member denimhead? I'd be keen to PM them some newbie questions.

12. Contango

Contango Well-Known Member

Post here so we can all learn.

Fox "The Fonz" Hound seems like a bit of a denim head.

1 person likes this.
  13. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Well-Known Member

Post here - the collective knowledge should be able to point you in the right direction (and mock each other at the same time).

1 person likes this.
  14. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

I don't know too much about denim, but a rule of thumb, look into whether it's sanforised or unsanforised: http://unsanforized.3sixteen.com/

I remember having to soak my 3sixteen selvedge before wearing it. They're unsanforised, and the jeans mould to my body which is pretty amazing. Also sized down 1 size.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  15. RGLZ

RGLZ Active Member

Godspeed
    Pickings & Parry
    Corlection
    Right Hand Distribution
    Up There Store
    Maple Store
    Blue Works
    The Great Southern Denim Co

16. click here

click here Well-Known Member

Where is the cheapest place to purchase Saphir and get it delivered to Australia?

17. hamtgr

hamtgr Member

Double Monk sells Saphir products both in-store and online at reasonable prices, though can't comment on their shipping costs.

18. click here

click here Well-Known Member

Thanks but I ended up getting it from a uk seller from ebay with the $20 off coupon code which works out to be cheaper than Aussie retailers.

I bought the Saphir shoe care kit which includes Medaille D'or Wax and Cream in black with a polishing cloth, a buffing brush and an applicator brush. Is that all I need to polish my shoes? Do I also need the Saphir Renovateur? Sorry for the newb question, it's my first time polishing

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  19. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

You should get Renovateur and give the shoes a going over before applying wax or cream.

Then, every six months or so give them another hit of Renovateur. That's my approach anyway.

20. Marbles

Marbles Well-Known Member

I'll give a rap to http://www.shoepolish.net.au

Not as cheap as ebay, but don't mind paying a couple of $$$ more for the quicker shipping and Aus based retailer.