1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. akclothpooper

akclothpooper Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I got from the rosenrot article, if anything I thought the title was just there to garner attention while it seems the article discusses 'the myth of fashion as a pure form of self expression, and why thinking it is may be misguided.'

2. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

I think people who are really conscious of dressing are basically playing a version of dress ups mixed with that scene in the Matrix where Morpheus talks about Neo looking like his own mental image.

Like I said, I am not agreeing with the article - to be honest I didn't read all of it because it wasn't really that interesting to me, but since it came up I thought I'd throw it up and see what happened.

3. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Well-Known Member

2012 called.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

LM

Fashion is a product with a commercial objective. Its not just about clothing it is applicable to language social trends, dogs and so forth. Fashion is all pervasive in its commercial application and is dependent upon individual lack and desire. Fashion in terms of clothing is based on trickle down ideas which originate in couture and the catwalks and are espoused by a interconnected network of commercial interests whose objective is to make as much money as they can during the current season. Couture designers garner ideas from a variety of sources form past collections and the milieu they live in. Street styles, underground sub cultures are all sought out to harvest ideas from. I think the term is still in use 'cool hunters' or trend spotters are active in commercial terms to keep their clients one step ahead of the curve.

Fashion is a industry and this is the nature of the world we live in. Stye transcends fashion and Is timeless, why? Because it can be worn year in and year out and does not look dated. Style visually represents ideas about taste and culture as personified by the way the individual presents themselves to the world. Fashion is a game where the key players are always trying to stay one step a head of the curve and by the time the mass consumerist market catches up with the current trend the players have moved on.

Bowie says it all.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  5. ASpark

ASpark Well-Known Member

I still hear it occasionally. One of the pokie venues in Geelong is appropriately named Buckleys.

6. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Probably named after William Buckley, with a nice double entendre for no extra cost.

7. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

Buckley's Chance is a nice cafe in Sorrento, where William Buckley lived.

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Yes, have been there quite a few times.

Can you imagine living in those caves on the beach?

9. Epicure

Epicure Well-Known Member

Thanks again to Cox and PoP for the advice offered regarding my hat purchase. In the end, PoP's perspective was the decider for me, along with some advice from the three assistants I spoke with over the course of three visits to the hat store. I decided against a second earth toned hat in the end. Mainly because the lighter coloured Hampton did wash me out a bit and iI couldn't imagine an outfit I own that wouldn't work as well or better with my chocolate brown Stylemaster versus the Hampton. While the shape of the Hampton suited ok, I feel the Stylemaster trumped it, as did all three assistants. Having faffed around enough, I opted to buy a second Stylemaster in grey for wear with more urban looks, or any blue/grey cloth for that matter, regardless of 'heritage'. Will keep wearing my dark brown Stylemaster with tweeds and a healthy dose of attitude. Ribbon versus leather band? Who really cares? It was pause for thought, and I'm glad I did ask here, but don't feel the presence of a ribbon band should actually deter me from defiling the coherence of an otherwise country fit. Brim too wide for a country jacket - again, be damned, I thought it better sense to choose the hat that suited my broader proportions. Compared with my frame, the Stylemaster is not a particularly wide brim, and the Hampton ran the risk of being slightly too stingey, giving consideration to my height. Besides the occasional iGent in the wild, who could possibly call me out on this? Oh, wait, I'm here on a forum with all you iGents...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

There's actually two chances of me living in one of those caves - Buckley's and Nunn.

1 person likes this.
  11. Geoffrey Firmin

Preferred Real Estate Agents?

12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

Actually a Melbourne haberdasher! And possibly the origin of the "Buckley's chance" idiom...

13. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if Buckley lived in a cafe in Sorrento

1 person likes this.
  14. ASpark

ASpark Well-Known Member

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't named for him.

I've only ever seen that version of the origin on the Wikipedia entry for William Buckley, who is another plausible inspiration.

I doubt he'd be welcome in the area with his criminal background.

15. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I always assumed that "Buckley's chance" came from Buckley & Nunn.

A little bit like "keen as mustard". Keen's Mustard. Geddit?

1 person likes this.
  16. Geoffrey Firmin

Or Furphy for an improbable story or rumour. The term originated/adopted at Gallipoli where troops would gather at the Furphy and Sons water tankers to exchange gossip.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  17. thebrownman

thebrownman Well-Known Member

I'm in the market for a new/used car - 25-30K. Something that's as comfortable on the open road as it is getting about the inner city. Recommendations?

18. sliq

sliq Well-Known Member

mercedes E series 4th gen? i'd go with a diesel

19. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

brand new toyota corolla. One of my friend just purchased the 2016 model(23.5K SX)- its simply beautiful. Interior is really cool. review
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/359981/2016-toyota-corolla-zr-review/

1 person likes this.
  20. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Older merc with high ks is like asking for trouble. Parts/service $$ is outrageous. Plus the pain in @** factor .

1 person likes this.