1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. clayb

clayb Member

Australian people going to the polls:

[​IMG]

I was trying to see, for the first time, what our dear leaders have been wearing without success. None of them seemed to wear a brown or burgundy though.

2. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Well-Known Member

This being scared of what you wear thing is getting old. Has anyone noticed how the people given a hard time about what they wear are generally big personalities/somewhat divisive to begin with? The clothing element is just something obvious and physical to give them a hard time about. How many times have you seen someone quiet, agreeable and timid be roasted behind their back because they are wearing a sock for a tie, or a handkerchief in their pocket, or worse, non-black shoes.

If you're a quiet, agreeable person, you can literally get away with anything. If you are loud, or opinionated, or confident/arrogant (particularly when young) then you will get called on it and people might say things about your shoe collection or ties behind your back that might hurt your feelings. BUT... Guess what, even if you dress in the same Aquilas, stripy windsor knot ties and hot/cold tap cufflinks as everyone else, you're gonna get called on your shit anyway because that's how offices work. They're bitchy hellholes regardless of everyone's shoe choices, so just harden the fuck up and deal with it.

So you may as well just embrace it, wear whatever you wanted to and over time no one will care. Or maybe they still will, in which case it is advantageous to have an easily accessible handkerchief in your pocket to cry into.

4 people like this.
  3. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

I'm quiet and agreeable.

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

So your cranky, outspoken internet persona is just an act, then?

5. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Well-Known Member

Except lazy. Nobody likes that sh#t.

Under caution, maybe.

1 person likes this.
  6. The Ernesto

iSurg wants to buy from Monocle.

Very meta.

4 people like this.
  7. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Amidst all the anxiety over Brexit and the current confusion kver the Australian elections it's important not to be all negative. Something positive has emerged to give us all hope..................... Sophie Mirabella has been firmly rejected twice now.

4 people like this.
  8. Epicure

Epicure Well-Known Member

Clay, for the most part, I agree with the conventional wisdom that has been offered in the thread you quote.

To clarify, I agree that Loake 1880 will "do the job" and in Australia you'll be leagues ahead of most men you meet on a given day with a pair of Loakes. However, upgrading to AS buys a sleeker last with (arguably) a more refined aesthetic. Of course, if you're comparing examples of AS shoes with heavy country styling and Loake shoes for city wear, this doesn't hold true. In addition to the more attractive last shapes on offer, I have found that Herring shoes made by AS have noticeably softer leather that wears more comfortably and looks nicer than Herring's Loake-made shoes. Even though Loake 1880 and the shoes made by Loake for Herring (Premier and Classic range) uses calf leather, I wouldn't say the quality is particularly nice in my experience. They make for good beater shoes, particularly with dainite soles for wear in wet weather, though I make exception against this type of usage for the suede pairs I own. Not because I won't wear suede in the wet, but because I usually won't spend as much on a suede shoe as I will for calf. For me, the rule of diminishing returns kicks in at a lower tier on suede, because my experience has been that cheaper suede shoes generally look better than similarly priced calf shoes (assuming English manufacture and GYW construction are contstants).

As for C&J shoes, you probably won't go too wrong to follow the general consensus iterated many times before. But again, I'll offer a personal perspective on the matter. I have bought C&J shoes only when I visit Melbourne, because I know some C&J lasts tend to run a little narrower compared to English shoes I know fit me well. While I feel the extra money for C&J is generally worth it, getting a pair involves more risk for me if I don't try them on first. Or in other words, I have more shoes from Herring because they're currently the only company that I am completely comfortable buying from online. I will also add that I have a preference for C&J when I want a country style shoe/boot, as the lasts of C&J city shoes are usually styled a little more aggressively than my personal taste will tolerate. For me, AS is stylistically the sweet spot at a price I'm happy to pay. YMMV.

Good luck with your shoe purchase, whatever you decide!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  9. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Well-Known Member

Do American Tailors have a sale on at present?

10. clayb

clayb Member

I lol'ed, but you do have some very good points. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
    What would you think is the sweet spot for suede shoes then? I'm planning to buy a tan suede soon but haven't decided which one to go for yet.

Quote: I totally understand. In fact that's why I have bought my first pair of C&J from Double Monk, I guess that's where you bought your C&J shoes too. However now that I have an idea about which C&J lasts fit my feet, I'm more comfortable with buying these shoes online from the UK. There are threads in SF here comparing C&J lasts so it should not be too bad I hope.

Also after Brexit, the pound is now significantly cheaper comparing to the AUD so we are effectively getting 20% discount from the UK sellers, not to mention the VAT-free price. Double Monk has been very competitive comparing to, say, McCloud, kudo to them for that, but right now you can get a pair of C&J from pediawear at almost $200 cheaper, which is quite hard to resist imo.

11. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

I remembered it as more like 6-9%, so went to look at a graph I made for an article I shall publish shortly based on our data:
    [​IMG]
    Damn, you're right. It is close to 20%. Members still in markets, why would AUD go up on bearish GBP news?

12. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Tailoring wax cotton / altering wax cotton jacket:

Props to Katrina's, took the belstaff to them to be taken in, did an awesome job with it. Stitching looks rock solid def dont feel the water resistance of the jacket has suffered any.

Seemed there was conflicting views on if wax cotton could be altered so thought I would share. They said it took a fair while to do so I imagine not every tailor would do it. Price was quite good as well.

13. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

Plus their VAT/GST is 20% - so its a 40% discount?? That is if they do a direct rate conversion each day - they may just set an Australian price? Or like Loake - just ban shipping to oz by third parties like Herring, Pediwear. You can get around it by posting to a UK address (like my brother*) but then you pay VAT * I then save postage by saying I'll do a bank transfer to him for postage and then "forgetting" to do it. edit:: I can't read you chart - so I dunno what I'm saying

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    2 people like this.
  14. crdb

crdb Well-Known Member

Well, we just do perfumes for now, but this is total price including shipping, and we crawl from Australia so that's the price they'd display to an Australian already.

It appears the total discount is around 20% in this case, but most of the products only dropped around 6-7% (I've taken changes > 20% off this graph):

[​IMG]

I thought 20% was a bit high. On the other hand a lot of products suddenly got cheapest globally from the UK for most destinations (US is the most affected, as US sites used to be cheapest to the US - but for the products in that analysis, the UK is now the majority cheapest origin).

15. fxh

fxh Well-Known Member

clayb - no one has mentioned it - but those of us with problem feet will tell you - try shoes on and stick with brands and lasts that are comfortable.
    Then try and get the best styles etc in that last and brand.
    The spiffiest shoes in the world aren't any good if they hurt.

An extra $200 for shoes you can try on is next to nothing if you save online but they don't fit properly.

As the old cliche goes - the most expensive clothes you will buy are the bargains that sit in the back of the wardrobe and never get worn.

2 people like this.
  16. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Well-Known Member

+1 fxh. I've wasted several hundred dollars in wasted postage, return postage, or reselling at a loss, all because it's nearly impossible to judge what will work without a try-on.

Double Monk know their products well, too. But a shame there isn't one in Brissie.

On the topic, I seem to recall hearing a while back that DM were going to start stocking Carminas. Did that ever happen?

I know American Tailors doesn't anymore, and Henry Buck's only has a single, extremely fugly semi-brogue...

17. clayb

clayb Member

Thanks fxh, I will try to stick with the brands and lasts that fit me well (here C&J and Loake) when buying online.

For those who don't know, PayPal is current having a free return shipping policy which applies to Australia too. So if you buy online, especially with free shipping from sellers like Carmina or Robinsonshoes, the risk is quite low because you practically get free shipping both ways. When I bought my first brown Loaked 1880 pair from Herring, I was prepared to return it (for free) using PayPal service. Thankfully it fits me almost perfectly.

If I don't have this luxury and the risk is high, I will definitely will stick with local shops to be safe though.

The last time I was at DM not too long ago, I asked about Carmina and it seemed they said they've already stocked it but some may be in their warehouse and some more are coming or something. They were not very keen to talk about them, or Alden shoes, which I could see on the shelves, however, and basically said that I should just stick to C&J which provides the best quality/price ratio among the mid-tier shoe brands, which I did at the time :)

I'm trying to take advantage of the 'cheap' pound at the moment to upgrade, or rather, build, my wardrobe, as we don't know how soon it will bounce back. Two equus belts have been ordered, only 3 more pairs of shoes (1 black 1 burgundy 1 suede) and I will be hopefully all set for a very long time.

1 person likes this.
  18. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Well said! Feet have a lot of variation - high/low instep, broad/narrow forefoot or heel, etc. Saying you take a size 9 in Carmina, for example, means very little without more information.

19. Foxhound

Foxhound Well-Known Member

DM stock Carmina, have a decent range, however they're kept out the back. There is only so much display space available.

20. The Ernesto

Have bought heaps of shoes online. Never had a problem.

Then again, have always researched, asked peeps on this forum and emailed retailers for details and other info.

1 person likes this.