1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. ryan24

ryan24 Well-Known Member

Maybe get them used on ebay. There is no substitute i found for the statesman, I have it in black and tort, and wear them daily. Previously I wore the OP Ari. and will never go back. The only thing i def recommend on the statesman is to change the nose pads to silicone ones. as for the grand reserve i feel the bridge is to heavy (in appearance not weight)

2. rennavate

rennavate Well-Known Member

CityConnection,

I think I'm going to buy a pair of glasses from framesdirect.com, this Canadian website.

What option should I choose for lens thickness? They offer:

[​IMG]

I'm thinking just going with the recommended Hi Index 1.67 thickness. Is that a good choice?

Also, is anti-reflective coating worth it? It's an extra $44.95.

3. hayzum

hayzum Well-Known Member

^ 1.67 is a good, however this depends on your prescription, if you're under 5.0 then 1.67 will suffice.

I am looking for vintage frames, can someone recommend a brick and mortar store in NYC, where I can find Tart, Pathway, Styl-Rite, Liberty or similar frames?

4. rennavate

My prescription is -3.25 in both eyes.

5. hayzum

hayzum Well-Known Member

^ 1.67 will do the job. I'd go for the coating, because it does make a difference. Perhaps CC can comment.

CC - Where to find two or three tone vintage frames in NYC??

6. rattlesnake

rattlesnake New Member

Anyone have any experience with framesemporium.com? Are they legit? Looking to order some SALT frames.

7. Lafont

Lafont Well-Known Member

Would anyone like to take stab as to when eyewear with P3 design became popular? Late 1930s? Were they around before 1930? Any idea who or where the design came from?

8. teeo

teeo Member

anyone able to point me to a decent place to check out frames in bangkok?

i heard of this one place called niche nation. however, they seem quite expensive. i emailed them about a dita frame and they said it would cost me around 650AUD which is more expensive than here (450AUD).

9. CityConnection

CityConnection Well-Known Member

Out of those options 1.67 is your best bet. CR39 is too thick, poly is terrible, and 1.74 is super overkill for your rx. Get the antireflection coating and scratch although it probably comes with it. If you need to pay additional for the coatings though, that is hardly a good deal. You can find those prices in any B&M store and get it done in 15 minutes while you wait. my 2 cents.

10. rennavate

Yeah, the only thing is I can't find the frames locally, and the website's running a 40% off lenses promotion, so it comes down to $71.40 for the 1.67. I'll take a look around town, though.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  11. CityConnection

$71 is a very competitive price for those lenses. Assuming they are decent quality, that's a great price.

12. NormanF

NormanF Well-Known Member

Its called a heart-shaped face. Wide forehead and small chin. I have the same and its difficult to fit glasses to. In general, oval or an exaggerated oval - latter called P3 shape. An oval eyewear frame works well for this type of face. The glasses Harrison Ford played in the Indy Jones films works perfect on this kind of face available from Berkeley Chase. He wore the Saville Row version in the films.

13. Eupfhoria

Eupfhoria Well-Known Member

what are opinions on these:

http://www.eyeglasses.com/glasses/morel-cottet/1819m.html

not sure of quality, and they seem to run about $200-250. Thing is, I need pretty small frames (48-x-x, or 49 ideally) and these are some of the only ones I've seen in that range.

I have tried them on, and they seemed pretty decent.

14. Panzer

Panzer Active Member

Do black or tortoiseshell glasses work better or worse with certain skin tones? Would you say either are going to be more versatile as they will be my only pair of glasses!

15. Kross

Kross Well-Known Member

What are your favorite frame brands in the 200-300 range CC?

16. CityConnection

The frames are decent quality. I would put them more in the $150-200 range in terms of quality and considering they are not a lisenced brand. But if you are happy with the frame, go for it. You won't find another one that is as nice.

17. CityConnection

Depends on the color of the tort. Sometimes it is more yellowish which doesn't suit asian complexions. But I think that any tort or black could very well be an everyday pair of glasses. I have both and change them between one another (well, I have more like a dozen frames). Personally, I say to buy MORE inexpensive frames and have a bunch to choose from instead of buying a single pair that you can't really afford.

18. CityConnection

Good question. I'll tell you what I think has good bang for the buck in terms of quality, branding, finish and material use.

under $200
    Cheap Monday (Relatively new in the eyeglass game. A lot of the styles are similar to other lines but the price is right vs. quality)
    Paul Frank (made in China but decent quality)
    Modo and ECO (both made by MODO. Fairly good quality for their price point)

$200-300
    O&X (made in Japan with titanium and acetate, $ for $ probably one of the best quality frames on the market)
    Spectacle Eyeworks (Canadian company with frames made of acetate,metal, wood and horn)
    Urband (made in Japan, designed in France, made of b-titanium not surgical steel)

Those are my personal favorites. There may be some that I missed, but off the top of my head these are my favorites at the moment. Ask me again in a few months and I might answer differently. These lines just have very good current models (Spring and Fall 2011) and their quality is always great. Mind you one of these brands could slip off my list (like it matters to anyone...hahaha...) if their quality slips or if their styles fall short of my expectations.

my 2 cents.

1 person likes this.
  19. Kross

Kross Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input CC, I'm also wondering something else. A lot of people on SF seem to love Olivers People frames, what is your opinion on them? Do you think there's a better alternative for the types of frames which they offer?

20. Samir

Samir Well-Known Member

I'm looking to buy my first (yeah yeah, I know haha) pair of sunglasses and have really liked what I've read about Maui Jim. Browsing through their online shop, full frame metal, rimless metal, and rimless nylon all look good - unfortunately, only the latter group fits in my price range. The models I like: Makaha, Kanaha, Breakwall, Lighthouse, Sandy Beach.

Are you familiar with any of those models? Browsing Amazon, they seem to all fall in the $110-140s range depending on specific frame/lens combo you pick. For general use, would neutral grey or HCL bronze be a better choice? Thanks!