• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RustyRyan
CC, does Persol make a bigger size to is 2931 model than 53? I love the shape of these but they are just too small fro me in 53mm. Any help appreciated?

PM me on Monday and I will call it in.

dyzfunctioned

Reaction score
Bit of a stretch here, considering someone would have to have seen the movie to have any idea what I was talking about, but does anyone know what glasses Jim Rash (Bryce Brand's Manager in the Movie) is wearing in The Onion Movie? Couldn't find any pics either... haha. Thanks!

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I posted something like this on my blog. Check it out and if you have any more questions, let me know!
I saw your comments about antiglare coatings attracting dirt and being bad, but was there something else I missed? Just looking for a thorough rundown, I guess.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know, where is are the Geller Marcello frames made in?

Shirt+Pants

Reaction score
Hey CC, I recently got the Ray Ban 1240's but they are very uncomfortable, as they touch my cheeks. What's a model of wayfarer that costs around the same and doesn't do this?

eyetee

Reaction score
First off.....Let's talk lenses...
With your prescription, I would suggest 1.67. I dont think you need 1.74 unless the frames are big on you and the lenses need to be decentered a lot. In terms of lenses, both Nikon and Seiko make good lenses, but I think you are paying a bit much for them. You can probably get a better deal at an independent optical. Another thing is, the Bay and other chains usually only sell name brand lenses or their house brands (which usually suck), BUT they sell them for expensive. Realistically, chances are you wont notice the difference between a name brand and a generic. I would say only 1% of people who have eyewear will ever see the potential of a Nikon lens with seemax coating. (Think: 1% of Porsches seeing a race track) In terms of coating, there are tons and I would say again, only 1% of people will actually see the full potential of their anti scratch coating.

$600 for BCBG and Nikon lenses is a bit much. But I mean, you have to weigh your costs. Sure you can return it and lose $120 but you could probably find something for less than $480. If you like what you bought, dont turn back and wear them and enjoy them. If you are having a lot of doubts about your purchase, return it because youll always feel like you got ripped off.

Hope this helped....

I wanted to say thanks by PM but apparently I need more than 1 post. So thanks - I'm also in TO so I feel dumb comparing the Bay to Macy's.

In either case, I think I'll take your advice and go for the 1.67 seikos and the lesser quality lenses to save a hundred bucks, if I won't even really notice the difference. If I do decide to exchange them, then the restock fee would be cheaper as well!

Cheers

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a pair of Mykita frames the other day and liked them a lot. Are there any other similar Euro titanium brands I should also check out before I pull the trigger on the Mykitas?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ic Berlin is very similar. I really do keep wondering how the nosepads and armpads get changed on ic Berlin frames, though. They seem... permanent.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are SF approved eyewear brands again? Persol, Maui Jim... what else?

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oliver Peoples.

I like the NDG-1 frames, alot.

Would get the matte black, and the tortoise. Maybe more.

Thinking about Wayfarers for work frames. Good price / quality ratio? I need something middle of the road, and rayban is pretty good price on eBay, with authentic sellers. If I go too expensive for work, I'll be pissed if I get them broken in a scuffle.

Damn patients.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
I found a pair of Mykita frames the other day and liked them a lot. Are there any other similar Euro titanium brands I should also check out before I pull the trigger on the Mykitas?

Like someone mentioned, Lindberg and IC! Berlin are good comparable. They are all fat metal that looks thin but still light in weight. Good choices if you have he money. Take a look at all of the collections and see how you like the frame itself and not a line. For exmaple, if a Lindberg Model ABC frame looks good on you but you really like the Mykita brand, I would say still with the Lindberg frame. It's better to have something you like and look good in, rather than a brand you want to be loyal to.... my 2 cents

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
What are SF approved eyewear brands again? Persol, Maui Jim... what else?

A lot of people like Ray-Bans, but other than that Persol, Maui Jim and I like Salt, in terms of sunglasses...

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Do you know if Persol make a bigger size to is 2931 model than 53? I love the shape of these but they are just too small for me in 53mm. Is there any alternatives? Thanks in advance,
RustyRyan

CONFIRMED: They are only available in 52mm and 54mm (in Canada), which probably stands true for the US too.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like someone mentioned, Lindberg and IC! Berlin are good comparable. They are all fat metal that looks thin but still light in weight. Good choices if you have he money. Take a look at all of the collections and see how you like the frame itself and not a line. For exmaple, if a Lindberg Model ABC frame looks good on you but you really like the Mykita brand, I would say still with the Lindberg frame. It's better to have something you like and look good in, rather than a brand you want to be loyal to.... my 2 cents
Is there a way to change out the silicone nosepads and armpads on ic Berlins? It looks possible on Mykitas, but I can't figure out how you'd do it on a pair of ic Berlins (admittedly, for all I know, you can't do it for either brand). Considering the relatively short lifespan of silicone, it seems kind of bad if they're permanent.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Is there a way to change out the silicone nosepads and armpads on ic Berlins? It looks possible on Mykitas, but I can't figure out how you'd do it on a pair of ic Berlins (admittedly, for all I know, you can't do it for either brand). Considering the relatively short lifespan of silicone, it seems kind of bad if they're permanent.
I havent had the chance to inspect them recently. I have only seen their styles and models BUT I have a few different brands that are similar that have removeable pads that are interchangeable like on the Salt Titanium frames. But I believe the ones on the IC! Berlin are not changeable. They may have silicone covers though that may be changeable. But usually if they have rubber or silicone, they are changeable. Next time I see them at a show, I will take note. Actually, Ill just ask them. hahaha....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads