1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. Arethusa

Arethusa Well-Known Member

In case anyone was wondering, I contacted ic Berlin! about replacing nosepads. Apparently there's an older design that used silicone tubing, but the current design is just rubbery injection molded plastic, and both are replaceable. They were really easy people to deal with.

2. CityConnection

CityConnection Well-Known Member

City,

Thanks for the nosepads info!

Also, your experience with Prodesign glasses? My current pair is Prodesign, and I like them so far. As far as quality, and longevity of the frame, are they well made, etc. I noticed my pair (plastic frame) is made in japan, but Prodesign is based out of Denmark.

Prodesign is a very good brand. The distribution is one of the greatest you can find. It is a small company that replies on its great products and great customer service to stay in business. It is the kind of company that you can call in and get into contact with anyone, including the president of the company. Well, in Canada at least. The quality of the frames are some of the best. You will probably find them in boutiques but as their lower lines.

In terms of breakage, it is rare that you will have breakage. I still see old (5yrs+) frames come back in. In my opinion, they are all around great frames.

3. CityConnection

Dear City,

I posted a question on Sunday but have not received an answer. It was regarding a pair of sunglasses in the movie called Zoolander. You seem to know a great deal more about sunglasses than most, so it's possible you haven't answered because my question was too inane. For whatever reason, if you can help me identify the glasses, I would really appreciate it.

Sorry for not responding. I tried looking for pics, but I couldnt find any. I can only see youtube clips that are fuzzy. And who is the guy? There are 4 guys wearing sunglasses. Post up some pics and I'm sure that if I dont know what brand they are, someone else on the forum will know. Some people on SF identity sunglasses like they own them [​IMG]

4. CityConnection

In case anyone was wondering, I contacted ic Berlin! about replacing nosepads. Apparently there's an older design that used silicone tubing, but the current design is just rubbery injection molded plastic, and both are replaceable. They were really easy people to deal with.

Yes, I actually found this afternoon also that they should be replaceable. Thanks for verifying for us. [​IMG]

5. nanny

nanny Member

[​IMG]

Dear City,

Here is a picture, but it is not the best quality. Meekus is the blonde with the white glasses. Not a good enough view to identify I'm guessing. I have seen the gasoline fight clip on YouTube and it is not very clear. I have the DVD at home and that is the best view. Hopefully, someone at SF will also be a Ben Stiller fan and know the glasses from watching the movie (crossing fingers)!

Thanks for your help,

Nanny

6. CityConnection

[​IMG]

Dear City,

Here is a picture, but it is not the best quality. Meekus is the blonde with the white glasses. Not a good enough view to identify I'm guessing. I have seen the gasoline fight clip on YouTube and it is not very clear. I have the DVD at home and that is the best view. Hopefully, someone at SF will also be a Ben Stiller fan and know the glasses from watching the movie (crossing fingers)!

Thanks for your help,

Nanny

Pic is not working.

7. nanny

nanny Member

[​IMG]

Sorry!! I hope it works this time as I am fairly computer-illiterate. I mostly stumble around trying to figure things out.

8. CityConnection

[​IMG] Sorry!! I hope it works this time as I am fairly computer-illiterate. I mostly stumble around trying to figure things out.
    They kind of look like the older Oakley Minutes. It was available in that color with a blueish hue with light blue lenses... They also cut up but maybe not as much as the ones that he is wearing. Try to find some online...

9. nanny

nanny Member

Awesome! Thank you City, I will try online, maybe EBay.

10. CityConnection

Awesome! Thank you City, I will try online, maybe EBay.

No problem. Look at different sites to see if they are the correct ones. Oakley also has another ones that is a bit smaller and a bit closer to what you are looking for. I just dont remember the name of the frame.

11. nanny

nanny Member

Thanks City! I appreciate all of your help.

12. danilo

danilo Well-Known Member

City, I'm looking for a pair of aviators. I've heard some people recommend me American Optical. I took a look at these and they seem to be nice for the price. [​IMG] I very much like these Tom Fords but they are quite a bit high on the price range... anything else you could recommend along the lines of these two? [​IMG]

13. Arethusa

The James Bond Tom Fords were based on the Oliver Peoples Airman, but the price is about the same (and I think the Airman might be discontinued).

14. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

those tom fords were going for like $130 at the bluebee sale a few weeks ago.

almost picked up, but I have commanders already

15. danilo

danilo Well-Known Member

those tom fords were going for like $130 at the bluebee sale a few weeks ago.

almost picked up, but I have commanders already

That makes me feel [​IMG]

16. nanny

nanny Member

Dear City,

You have a very good eye. I went to the source and called Oakley (coincidentally, the headquarters in Foothill Ranch are only 15 minutes from my house in Laguna Hills). They confirmed the glasses are Original Minute Oakleys. Now comes the hard part, they have been discontinued and I don't know where to begin looking, any suggestions? I really only want them in white!!

17. Arethusa

Dear City,

You have a very good eye. I went to the source and called Oakley (coincidentally, the headquarters in Foothill Ranch are only 15 minutes from my house in Laguna Hills). They confirmed the glasses are Original Minute Oakleys. Now comes the hard part, they have been discontinued and I don't know where to begin looking, any suggestions? I really only want them in white!!

Seriously. You are a disappointment to your parents.

18. CityConnection

Dear City,

If they are discontinued, your best bet would be to get them on Ebay or something. I doubt anyone will have the original minutes anymore. I had them MANY years ago in a goldish color and then now I have it in a cloud blue. Good luck on your journey to find them! The harder to find, the better you will feel when you find them. [​IMG]

19. danilo

danilo Well-Known Member

any answer to my question above City?

20. CityConnection

any answer to my question above City?

Sorry, I thought that others had already answered.

In any case, in that style of Aviator, there are a lot of options. If you are looking for something similar to the Tom Fords, the only 1 that I can think of is a sample of Von Dutch that I have in gold.

But just about anything aviator that you find will be less expensive than Tom Fords. I have said it before and I will say it again... The styles are nice, but forgettable (nothing will be a staple piece, in terms of eyewear) and the price point is a bit high for most. There are tons that are less expensive like all the names listed in previous posts. Hugo Boss, Prada, Diesel, Maui Jim, RayBans and many more.

Sorry that I cant help out more, its just that aviators are known as a shape now. So it is like asking for a square-ish shape. Tons of brands make them. But if you ask me for a certain material or style feature, I might be able to help out more.