• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, I found an old pair of pro design titanium frames that I'm thinking of re-lensing. They're in pretty good shape aside from a small paint chip on the edge. Do you think it would be alright to reuse a frame, because a lot of opticians suggest getting new frames.
Also is it better to go to a high end store to get lenses, or would a BJs or Walmart optician produce a similar quality? My eyesight is pretty bad and I would def opt for the 1.74 high index. Please advise, thanks.
Edit: more questions for the expert. I have prescription sunglasses with polarized lenses, which I get a lot of compliments on, but the sides are super duper thick which makes me self conscious. Granted, theyre blacked out a little with some sort of paint, but it's pretty obvious they're thick. I was told that that.s the best that can be done, other than getting a narrower lens, but why can't they make sunglasses lenses with high index?
Ad what can of nose piece do you recommend people buy with oily complexions? My glasses start to slide down my face towards the middle of the day, so I find my self washing the nose pads frequently. Is there a stickier nose pad out there that I don't know about?
Lastly, what kind of frame would you recommend for someone with visible bags? I love the trendy nerd glasses, but it would just expose my bags totally. Should I get a chunky frame, or a more attention grabbing pattern to distract from my luggage?
Sorry for all the questions,

1. You can re-use any frame you want. But considering you are dropping quite a bit of money on 1.74 lenses, they may be telling you to get a frame in your best interest. Is it worth spending $200+ on lenses into a wrecked frame that looks like it's going to break soon? That's up to you to decide.

2. Your sunglasses may be thick because a 1.67 is the thinnest material for a tintable lens or polarized lens. Find a thicker dark colored lens and that should hide some more thickness.

3. Nose pads: Silicone. They will still slide down though. The weight of your lenses will be towards the front of the frame making them front heavy.

4.visible bags: something that cuts down a bit lower or try getting a frame where the bottom of the lens is on the line of where your bags are. With a larger frame, technically you may be able to hide them more but keep in mind that the bigger your frame, the heavier the lenses.

Hope that helps!

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some old Tag frames where the metal finish has come off a bit - I was thinking about using some oven cleaner or something to take off the rest of the finish and have a set of bare aluminum frames.

Any reason not to do this?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would suggest a metal frame. A frame with pad arms will greatly increase the comfort level of any frame. Generally the larger the bridge the larger the eysize so I hope you have a large head too. If you don't, not to worry, you should still be able to find a frame with pad arms and a relatively wide bridge. Most bridges are 18-20 or so but I'm sure you could find some in a 22. Not common, but not impossible.
As well, look for a frame with a high top brow bar with the bridge that is at the very top of the lens shape. It would sit much better and look much better on you.
Good luck!

I have a rather narrow head. Anyway thanks, I''l keep a look out in the hope of a find.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it worth to upgrade from 1.6 to 1.67 index for 35? Also, I haven't heard much positive comments on coatings, any idea if it's actually a good idea to get coatings like anti-glare, anti-scratch, UV, and easyclean?

1.6 is rare. Nobody really uses it. How much are you paying for 1.6? In terms of coating, get anti-reflection(glare), anti scratch and UV. This is an absolute must. It is like buying a Benz and not opting for the power seats. Most good lenses come with the coatings on the lenses now a days now. In terms of easyclean, I wouldn't say that it is necessary but it may be worth it for some people.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have some old Tag frames where the metal finish has come off a bit - I was thinking about using some oven cleaner or something to take off the rest of the finish and have a set of bare aluminum frames.
Any reason not to do this?

Chances are, that it is the paint coming off. I don't know what to use to remove it but there are labs that re-paint frames. They will strip it to the bare metal before painting it. I'm sure they could get it done for you in a more "professional" manner.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a rather narrow head. Anyway thanks, I''l keep a look out in the hope of a find.

Try looking for smaller round frames. Round frames generally have wider bridges if they come in smaller sizes. The lenses will also be thinner.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chances are, that it is the paint coming off. I don't know what to use to remove it but there are labs that re-paint frames. They will strip it to the bare metal before painting it. I'm sure they could get it done for you in a more "professional" manner.

I was actually thinking of stripping it down and sending them off to be ceramic coated in TiN or something like that just for kicks. They are old frames, so I don't really care if they get screwed up too much.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try looking for smaller round frames. Round frames generally have wider bridges if they come in smaller sizes. The lenses will also be thinner.

Thank you, I found out during fitting today my head isn't all that narrow. Only relative to the vertical dimension, apparently.

Last edited:

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was actually thinking of stripping it down and sending them off to be ceramic coated in TiN or something like that just for kicks. They are old frames, so I don't really care if they get screwed up too much.

That's all fine and dandy, but keep in mind that you have to take the lenses out and if they paint too think inside the eyewire, your lenses are garbage because they won't fit. Well, I shouldn't say that...you COULD take it to a shop and ask them to shave it down by hand. But that could be a hit or miss. They may do a good job or they may wreck your lenses.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's all fine and dandy, but keep in mind that you have to take the lenses out and if they paint too think inside the eyewire, your lenses are garbage because they won't fit. Well, I shouldn't say that...you COULD take it to a shop and ask them to shave it down by hand. But that could be a hit or miss. They may do a good job or they may wreck your lenses.

Yeah good point. Ceramic coating is usually done via PVD and is microns thick but tough as hell - motorcycle parts and drill bits are done up that way. Plus the colors are quite nice. TiN is usually gold colored, but other ceramics vary in color. Way overkill for frames, but would be interesting potentially. Not sure if they are potential irritants though, so may have to do a bit of research.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doubt it. Many watches and firearms are also done in various PVD coatings.

dharmach

Reaction score
hi CityConnection,

I am looking for prescription glasses which are light weight, metal (titanium?) and full rimed. I liked some of the frames from Lindberg and Reykjavik but the problem is that they only fit on plastic lenses. I want frames which can fit on glass lenses. Would you please suggest some good quality brands? By the way, I do not need thick glasses for my prescription.

Thanks for your help.

Hi CC, please help me with my above question. Thx.

Reaction score
I'm in the market for some sunglasses right now and I've been looking at wayfarer-type sunglasses. One problem is that when trying on Raybans, the new wayfarers looked much better than the originals so I'm not exactly sure where to start. For your information, I am an Asian male with an oval face. Also, I won't be looking to spend too much.

Also, I did some lurking but what's the difference between polarized and UVA/UVB protection?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you think about wearing Randolph Engineering/AO Pilots as RX-glasses? I already wear them as a pair of sunglasses but I don't know if its foolish to use as eyeglasses. I was interested in the Oliver Peoples Soloist wire frames until I saw the pricetag and was considered others that in the same-ish area.

http://maxcdn.nexternal.com/randolph/images/AF51499_2.jpg

I recently started wearing prescription glasses and used a pair of Randolph Engineering frames which were issued to me back in the '80s when I was a Naval Aviator. I am quite satisfied with them. The frames used for prescription glasses for aircrew were identical to the sunglasses frames.

Last edited:

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Can anybody identify these frames? I think these are the long lost ones I've been looking for. I've found similar with one rectangular rivet, but never two rivets plus the gold band like these have.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads