1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. eluther

eluther Well-Known Member

I've haunted this thread every year when I get a new pair of glasses, so I figured I'd give back a bit.

For folks in Seattle, Ottica is having a Francis Klein trunk show on March 26. Custom orders available. Everything 20% off.

I'd dismissed the brand as kooky/mid-century try-hard/face furniture, but among the loud femme designs, Francis Klein has some really solid/classic/masculine choices. All of the frames are handmade in France, as well, so it's got that whole artisinal/heritage thing going for it. The two pairs of I handled were exceptionally nice and I'm going to order something at the trunk show. Thinking of a pair of the Ferrys, which are Titmus knockoffs, in a smoke grey acetate.

If you're in Seattle and interested, here are a few of the frames:

2. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Well-Known Member

Matsuda or Masunaga, most likely. Possibly Oliver Peoples.

When I went to their Berlin shop, I found the prices were actually higher than in the U.S. This was before the Euro bombed so hard relative to the USD, though, you might be able to get a relative deal from the exchange rate alone now.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  3. chiggah

chiggah Well-Known Member

4. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Well-Known Member

That's what I'm hoping for at the very least. I'm not entirely excited about spending the $650+ PLUS 10% sales tax again this year. I know I could get a decent deal on some of the ones I've tried on and liked here in the States, but I decided to bite the bullet and go to one of their shops in Berlin that has their entire collection. It's hard enough finding a place that even carries the mylons.

5. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

I'm looking for Rx frames w/ clip-on sunglasses. Something that still looks good without the clips, e.g.

[​IMG]

Any suggestions?

FWIW I currently wear Warby Parker Wilkie and think I look better in a squarer frame due to my round face shape.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  6. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Well-Known Member

Mykita makes a few styles that have clip-on shades. I think they look pretty decent, and Mykita frames are really well made.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Well-Known Member

Dita does a lot of clip-ons, too.

1 person likes this.
  8. David Be

David Be New Member

9. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

anyone know how the hell i can prevent these painful red dimples that form after wearing my sunglasses for a prolonged time?

also - can't that cause cancer?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

A professional could adjust for the tightness on the bridge. However, it's not worth it, because overall the pair is too big for the face.

11. Dean Keaton

Dean Keaton Well-Known Member

Anybody could ID those for me please? Harvey Keitel wore them in Sorrentino's 'Youth' (great film btw)

I've been dying to find any info on those online, but no success. They seem pretty basic, but for me they are a perfect shape - classic aviator without being "fashion".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Chanklebury

Chanklebury Well-Known Member

Any opinion or caution over current Dunhill stuff?

I noticed a few models on sale at Malford of London, some of them sold out now I've procrastinated too long, but there's a couple left supposedly 'made in Japan' which have my eye.

Thanks.

13. nightic

nightic Well-Known Member

Lindberg dealers usually offer the engraving for free.
    The nose-pad choice is also not something that there would typically be an extra charge for (the dealer will often have a bunch of Lindberg consumables available).
    The delivery cost has never been brought up with any European dealers I've used and it would usually be factored in to the frame price from the start.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  14. nightic

nightic Well-Known Member

Quality is commensurate with the price that Malford's is selling at but don't be fooled by Dunhill's MSRP - they are not a top tier product by some distance, despite where they're manufactured.
    For reference, spring-hinges are these days more often a sign of lower quality frames, unless featured on ones with temples made from hard-to-adjust materials (natural Horn or Wood etc.)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  15. plot

plot Well-Known Member

How is Lunor's reputation? I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of A5 215s; they look gorgeous in person, but I'm wondering what SF thinks about them.

[​IMG]

16. Chanklebury

Chanklebury Well-Known Member

17. 1907jb

1907jb Well-Known Member

Could anybody help with what this means?
    [​IMG]

18. Roger la Rock

Roger la Rock Well-Known Member

Beta Titan is a flexible titanium alloy which springs back to its original shape.

1 person likes this.
  19. PattyC

PattyC Well-Known Member

what are my options if I wanted to replace a pair of Safilo made lenses in my YSL sunglasses? I'm pretty sure this model is discontinued, plus their website says that they will flat out ignore messages regarding repairs/space parts.

I'd like to get something as close as possible to the original quality and tint. Should I just take them to an optometrist?

20. WestLinn

WestLinn Active Member

Probably my favorite thread on here. I have worn glasses for over 40 years. I wore mostly contacts, but always wanted glasses that looked stylish when my dry eyes couldn't support glasses. However, about two years ago, I got the best news a 40 year glasses wearing person can get: your cataracts need to be removed. So, that colony of "whatever" that was accumulating in the middle of my vision on my one eye could be removed (it pays to go to a great eye doctor at a teaching hospital, OHSU) and two surgeries over, I can see 20/20 out of my left, 20/30 out of my previously detached retina right without correction. So I now love threads about glasses. They are awesome because I don't need to wear them. No more -10 lenses. No more being blind at night without my glasses. I think I will buy a pair of stylish frames with no correction lenses just for old times sake. LOL.