1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. CarolinaMan

CarolinaMan Active Member

More important than the chassis is the shape of the lens you choose. You see more rimless with larger and more rounded shapes than 10 years ago. The set you have now look fine to me. I would just get an updated lens shape.

2. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I would get a rounded lens shape because it suits the shape of my face. The narrow rectangle lens look never worked for me.

Also, round lenses tend to be more forgiving when the frames are a little off balance. That happens to me a lot having uneven ears.

3. CarolinaMan

CarolinaMan Active Member

Larger and rounder lenses are in shape. If your ears are not even (as is the case with many people) you can have your optician make an adjustment to correct this.

4. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Well-Known Member

Went to a new art exhibit yesterday and it was packed. Noticed a few people with the smaller p3 frames I've been trying to place a brand on. Lots of cool looking frames too.

5. univibe88

univibe88 Well-Known Member

Were they like these P3?

http://www.shuron.com/ronstrong.htm

6. OmniscientCause

7. univibe88

P3 is a lense shape, not a frame style per se. If you look close at the Gregory Peck from OP and the Ronstrong from Shuron, you'll see that the lens shape is the same. But one is a plastic frame with some "horns" and a keyhole bridge, the other is a wire metal frame with nose pads.

8. OmniscientCause

Then to answer your original question no. The ones I think I really want are op Anderson's. I just can't find a place with them or looked briefly but didn't find it so I stopped. There is a great botique on Newbury street but they don't carry op anymore. They do carry BP and I like the Wilmot but those look a little bit too big on my face.

I do really like the fact that the frame can be two toned. I like the clear/honey with tortoise and also saw black with tortoise at the store but not online.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  9. univibe88

Sorry I couldn't help more. P3 horn rims are very cool. And you are right, they seem to be back in fashion these days. There are lots of vintage and current reproduction options out there. I agree that two tones are very cool. Awhile back I was looking at some clear/redwood NOS Tart Arnels. But I put off buying them. They shot up and price and then got sold out. Shame on me for waiting.

Is that Wellesley Optical on Newbury? I walked by there yesterday, but didn't stop in.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  10. JayFS

JayFS Well-Known Member

Are there any linda farrow stockist in ny?

11. OmniscientCause

Yea it was Wellesley. I've lived in the area for a few years but only stopped in once. Great selection of frames though.

12. irishcafe

irishcafe Active Member

Anyone know who makes Alexander McQueen's glasses? How's their quality?

13. FabledGlasses

FabledGlasses New Member

Hey, guys. Wanted to ask for your feedback.

Me and my friend were thinking about making eyeglasses that are not just a functional object, but has an inspiring story behind. I.e. glasses that are designed not only on esthetic basis, but which looks were inspired by a story or some element of life. That might be a special place or moment, a natural wonder or man-made object, a legend, an art movement, a childhood toy or a philosopher’s quote. Whatever.
    I attach an example. My friend is kinda into Samurais' culture so... :)
    (here's a link for bigger picture, also I insert the same at the end of the post)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2tg4ehunvy02d6/Samurai_su_tekstu2.jpg

Also we believe that a good story is a sincerely and uniquely told one. So we want it to be told by different people all around the world, we want it to be told by independent designers. They would suggest concepts, people would evaluate them and we would take care of production. Sort of threadless.com for glasses.

What do tou think? Would you cosider trying such glasses? No way? why?

Sincere feedback is apreciated :)

[​IMG]

14. sm31

sm31 Well-Known Member

Hard to say. Maybe.

The story idea is interesting. But I like to think I care more about substance than marketing. So to the degree there's some vision or story behind the product, I'd like more clear insight into how it actually translates into design and manufacture.

15. zombie

zombie Active Member

^^^ Won't my ears fall off if I put on those frames?

Picked up a pair of O&X frames. Very happy with my purchase, and I wish I could've gotten 3 or 4 more additional pairs of O&X and Kio Yamato, but (1) I already had to pay out of pocket for these since VSP sucks, and (2) I wear contact lenses like 99% of the time.

OT-285
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  16. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Well-Known Member

Does the quality of the lenses differ between retailers, or is it the same whether I buy it from Optician A or Optician B?

Are there other benefits than the thickness between the different types of lenses (1.60 MAR and 1.74 MAR)?

Edit: I read in the thread that CR39 scratches easily. Would CR39 still scratch with anti-scratch coating?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  17. CityConnection

CityConnection Well-Known Member

1.74. In terms of coating, the best that you can afford. The more expensive coating, without being gimmicky, will offer the most benefits. In terms of brands, the top lenses will be similar from brand to brand. It's like a BMW vs. Benz. They will be comparable but slightly different and both companies will claim their lens is better.

18. CityConnection

I can't give you a definite answer because I haven't had any long term experience with Yellow Plus, but Masunagas are well made. They are relatively light for the thickness as well.

19. CityConnection

DO NOT use your tshirt.

Use warm water (not hot) with dishwasher soap. It will remove the grease and clean it right up. Then dry with white paper towel. Simple and cheap. Don't waste money on the "sprays". If the grit doesn't come of the lenses prior to wiping or cleaning, you'll be scratching your lenses.

20. CityConnection

Freeform lenses aren't for everyone though. It's like getting a Ford GT as a daily driver. Maybe be nice at first but once your back starts hurting from the road conditions, you might not think it was the best option. Same with freeform, some people are not use to the curvature and field of vision. A lot comes into play with the lenses, it isn't just a matter of being thick or thin, correct or not. Sometimes, even with the correct rx and best lenses, one may like polycarbonate better. But your local practitioner will know about that.