1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Clearances should be the tailor's job, not yours. Don't force a tailor let them make the call.

2. oman112

oman112 Member

Thanks Patrick. This is for an Indochino suit, so a tailor will not really be involved. Based on my 38" chest measurement, they gave me a jacket that is 41.5" around the chest, which is a little too tight. I was asking more from a knowledge perspective.

3. patrickBOOTH

Basically the answer depends on the style of the cut. There is no rule, some tailors prefer more, some less.

4. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

+1. 3-4" is pretty standard though, so that is well within the realm of reason.

5. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

Is there a name for a wool overcoat with fur-faced lapels?

6. patrickBOOTH

7. mixedmajik

mixedmajik Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the Mr. B's line (from Aldo) Chastin shoes? They look like white bucks and are on sale right now...have a leather sole too...not sure about the brand or this shoe from them in particular...google mr. b chastin and you can find it...in class right now so I can't get too distracted looking for the link.

8. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

Okay, another quickie - is there ever a reason to have the DB buttons on a suit not be ornamental besides some lingering OCD desire to have them do something?

9. s2menon

s2menon New Member

I am planning on getting the Men's Authentic Pea Coat from Sterlingwear but i cant decide between getting the form fitting jacket or sizing up as I don't know how tight the form fitting jacket is going to be. I am planning on wearing light sweaters and t-shirts underneath this coat and on certain events a suit and a shirt as well. So with this information should I get a form fitting jacket or the bigger version?

Also they asked me to take a jacket that fits me well and measure the length from the top edge to the bottom edge of the jacket. Unfortunately I don't own jackets that fits met well in terms of length so i was wondering if there is any other way of me measuring the length?

10. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Well-Known Member

:nodding:

11. rstanton14

rstanton14 Member

Where can I find a quality navy corduroy backpack?

12. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Well-Known Member

So I wanted to replace the crepe soles on a pair of Faconnable shoes with a Vibram mini-lug sole. The catch is that I want white soles, the same as this shoe (yes it is a vibram sole)

[​IMG]

Vibram USA says that they do not have them in the catalogue nor do they supply them and as far as the guy could tell, Vibram Italy doesn't either. I was told that the soles are made in China but China is a big place. I have a buddy that is in Taipei so I guess I have access to items in the Chinese market but I'd rather just hit somebody's website and have them shipped to me.

[​IMG]

13. Chase H

Chase H Well-Known Member

I think that may be the coolest tie I've ever seen.

14. Chase H

Chase H Well-Known Member

Or you could just leave them on top of the radiator for a week. They'll be just as ruined, and it won't cost a dime. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  15. AndrewST

AndrewST Well-Known Member

Two quick cleaning questions:

i) I spilled dark beer on a brand new 100% silk tie. How should I go about repairing it? At this stage, taking it to a cleaner is not an option, because I need to go right back and wear it soon.

ii) What's the best method to clean cashmere socks? They've really picked up an odor after about 5-6 wears. I was thinking of lightly spraying Fabreeze into the air and letting the mist settle on the socks.

TYIA

16. Archimedes

Archimedes Active Member

You can't be serious! Honestly, if you are, please hand wash your socks using a mild wool detergent and let them dry flat. 5-6 weeks? Seriously?

17. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

He said wears, not weeks. And any sock that can't be machine washed is a sock that shouldn't ever be purchased. Socks need to be washed every time you wear them,

As for the tie, tell me you own more than one tie. Because "take it to the cleaners" is the only real option, and even that can be a gamble.

18. Archimedes

Archimedes Active Member

Sorry it was too early forme to register it properly (even though 5 wears is hardly any better). I suggested hand wash since he is obviously reluctant to wash it at all! Hand washing will certainly not harm even the most delicate of cashmere socks, even though machine washing should certainly be an option as well

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  19. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Well-Known Member

My thoughts are the same as mentioned above.
    1- If it's an expensive tie get it to a good dry cleaner ASAP, don't try any magic at home. You can destroy it with too much water.
    2- Drink pilsner!
    3- I'd suggest grabbing another tie or two.
    4- Wash all socks after each wear- they are undergarments that are meant to protect your foot from your shoe as much as protect your shoe from your foot.
    Hand wash your delicates in the sink with some Woolite and lay them flat on a towel to dry, same for linen pocket squares and hankerchiefs, etc. For pocket squares - iron while still a little wet so the wrinkles won't set in.

Good luck with the tie.

20. acedevil

acedevil Member

Hello everybody.
    What do you think about the suit without the tie look?
    How about a suit without the tie but with the pocket square?

Finally, I have a dilemma at my hand. I have to attend a semi-casual party in a short while and I only have my charcoal grey three piece suit with me. (Tuxedo is not an option here) Now with a tie, I look very 'formal' in this suit. So what color shirt should I wear if wearing charcoal grey three piece without a tie? And should I wear a matching pocket square? Or a three piece without a tie is a very bad option?
    Dropping the vest would make the coat appear baggy so I think that wouldn't very bright to do, right?