1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

Good price. Definitely high quality and made by C&J.

2. jvc44

jvc44 Well-Known Member

As good as Carmina or Alden?

3. Badandy

Badandy Well-Known Member

I was hoping for some input on what my next shoe purchase should be. I wear business casual or suits.

My current (small) rotation:

-AE PA's (black)
    -AE McAllister's (merlot)
    -AE penny loafer (burgundy)

I do not want a monkstrap. Thoughts?

4. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

I would rank C&J above both probably, though I have no first-hand experience with carmina. It looks like you got a nice boot at a good price.

5. jvc44

jvc44 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply , yea $636 plus tax , I dont think is bad price. I just don't really know that much about how they compare to Alden . I've been reading about some nice boots on here!

6. DerHoggz

DerHoggz Member

Is it appropriate to get opinions on how well represented an eBay item was on this forum in general, and more specifically would this be a good thread?

7. jesPak

jesPak Active Member

Has anyone used corporate perks as a means of obtaining a BB corporate membership? Not sure why, but something about the corporate perks site itself seems a bit sketchy.

8. MakingChanges

MakingChanges Well-Known Member

Yes, it worked for me and I've used it numerous times.

9. bnovc

bnovc Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of any books/articles/threads about the psychology of attractiveness of different clothing? e.g. why do we prefer suits (I've heard because of the "V" shape), ties, certain color patterns, etc.

These kind of studies are done for other similar topics like posture, smiling, etc., but I haven't found anything for clothing.

10. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

This is very nice. Where is it from?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  11. MrXavier

MrXavier Well-Known Member

Ha ha

12. MrXavier

MrXavier Well-Known Member

Then I must travel to this marvelous place

13. roquesoon

roquesoon Well-Known Member

Already thinking about spring/summer, as my wardrobe is a little light in that department.

Picturing this jacket with a light blue shirt for (pre/post) my friend's July wedding, and general summer wear:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-1325-CO...SA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item416fcf6895

Very tempted, but worried that the stripes will make it difficult to pair. Thoughts? I have a very difficult time finding 38Ls, so whenever one comes up I am forced to ponder it...

14. TedBaxter

TedBaxter Member

I just bought a vintage tweed jacket similar to this one:

[​IMG]

What do you think: Is it ok to wear (micro) checked shirts under a checked jacket?

15. Badandy

Any help on this? I was thinking a bit more and I have a couple of ideas and wanted to see if they matched up with what some of the members thought.

16. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

Yes, that is the way I obtained my corporate membership card.

Chukkas, longwings, captoe boots, semi-brogues (Strands), plain toe bluchers, venetian loafers, something in suede....

So many choices considering you only have three shoes.

17. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

So share your ideas with us, explaining why you like them, and you'll be more likely to get some feedback.

As posted, you provided so few details as to make a meaningful discussion of your options perhaps an overly broad topic. And indicating that you wear business casual or suits doesn't narrow it down much, either - it covers pretty much everything more dressy than jeans, but less dressy than a tuxedo. From chinos, to tweed sportcoats, to 3-piece Brooks Bros. 1818 suits in charcoal.

The more relevant background information provided, the more likely it is that you'll get good advice. Telling us which choices you favor - and most importantly WHY you like them - is one way to narrow down the possibilities to a manageable size.

18. Badandy

I know I don't have many shoes and the idea was to find what my next one should be. As in, what staple am I missing? I am aware that there are many more which would be nice to have, and I will keep adding over time.

I don't like longwings or monks. Love suede but really looking for that versatile suede shoe before I pull the trigger. I think my small collection could be missing a dark brown cap-toe. A semi-brogue is also a good idea.

Suits: Charcoal/Navy staple suits
    Business Casual (I wear this most of the time): Epaulet trousers in grey, french blue, etc along with an OCBD.

19. Muve

Muve Member

Starting to get into the menswear game, and I'm attempting to purchase my first pair of quality dress shoes. I'm looking at secondhand since I'm not in a position to buy full retail, and I wanted to get your opinion on how fixable or long lasting some creases on these AE Park Ave's are. Is this something I can eventually remove from the shoes with some quality shoe trees, shoe care, and TLC?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. sciphiyem

sciphiyem Well-Known Member

Thoughts on this jacket fit? It's a bit snug in the armholes, especially when I try to reach up above my head or down to my toes, does this mean its too small? It's a 38 and sorry for the crappy picture!

[​IMG]