1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Naka

Naka Well-Known Member

Any kind of topy should do the trick, but ultimate stealth soles are crepe. Maybe a commando sole would work as well? Depends on the boot.

2. Moogwai

Moogwai Member

Hi its my firts post here ) What shoes do you recommend for this jacket from D&G[​IMG]

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll start with the regulars, I guess...

I believe there's still an orange cashmere hoodie on SW&D B&S.

4. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

Thanks, anyplace you know other than B&S?

5. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Well-Known Member

Is it ok to wear black croc belt with suits in office?

6. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

7. goodlensboy

Good to hear that, just ordered this from Lance (virtual clothes horse) - he's always great to deal with. The buckle is silver, hope the belt is not too much for the office [​IMG]

8. goodlensboy

I'd go with some crisp white sneakers to balance the heaviness of jacket's material and dull gray color, but actually depends what trousers are you wearing with it

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  9. onix

onix Well-Known Member

Is there anyway to brighten up a pair of shoes to its original color (which was darken overtime due to normal polishing) besides natural sunlight or stripping using damaging solutions like acetone?

10. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Well-Known Member

Who is the maker on the shoes? I think a re-crafting service, if available from the maker, would do the trick for you. Other than that, if you haven't used saddle soap to clean off all the wax to take a look at what lie underneath, I'd recommend it and proceed from there.

11. onix

onix Well-Known Member

Regular English shoemakers (EG, C&J). Re-crafting is always an option but too expensive for the value in my case. I don't mind the color, just wonder if there is any cheap/quick fix.

12. Moogwai

Moogwai Member

Iam goin to wear chinos or jeans

13. CDHagg

CDHagg Well-Known Member

How would the warmth of a lambskin jacket like this:

[​IMG]

Compare to the warmth of a down-filled jacket?

14. Bartleby Trout

Bartleby Trout Well-Known Member

Hello all,

So, I was wondering if you could tell me what I could wear with these. They are a reddish/brown pair of loafers. I was told that I cannot wear these with jeans because they are too formal looking. Is this true? Also, what kind of socks would I wear with these?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

15. Chase H

Chase H Well-Known Member

I'd say you can't wear those with jeans because they're too ugly looking. I recommend donating those.

EDIT: I realize that that sounds harsh. I wasn't trying to be offensive, I just think there's a lot of unnecessary stitching that's pretty ugly.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  16. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

You could wear them with most anything from jeans, up through chinos and cords, all the way to wool trousers w/sportcoat.

I'm not one who holds fast to the rule about not wearing loafers with suits, although the loafers in question don't strike me as being a particularly good pairing with most suits.

Well, now you've been told that you can wear them with jeans, and that they're not too formal looking.

Penny loafers and jeans is a very traditional combination. Not everybody cares for it, and presumably the person who told you your loafers were too formal to wear with jeans doesn't care for it. But it's been a widely accepted pairing for 60+ years now.

You could opt not to wear socks with them. (Not my favorite look, but I'm not terribly offended by it during the warm weather months.) Plenty of men opt for solid color socks. (JFK often wore them this way.) I not infrequently wear mine with argyles. (The picture, below, shows James Dean wearing argyle socks with his penny loafers..)

[​IMG]

--
    Michael

1 person likes this.
  17. funcrew

funcrew New Member

Do Allen Edmunds shoes ever go on sale? I've never owned nice shoes. Am looking at a pair of New Orleans for $345 - Can wait if they or their retailers discount them periodically. Please advise - Thanks

18. Lucan

Lucan Well-Known Member

I was mulling over getting this grey tie to wear with a grey suit (prob. mid-grey worsted, but also have dark grey flannel) and a white shirt. Would this be the very stylish and modern look I have in my mind's eye, or a dull disaster?
    [​IMG]

19. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

20. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

jeans. i think they are ok...

1 person likes this.