1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

double post

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  2. regularbloke

regularbloke Member

Oh, I wasn't trying to be rude, just asking for clarification on what you meant.
    I do appreciate your feedback :)

3. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Well-Known Member

Can anyone help with overcoat recommendations?

Criteria:
    - $1K or less
    - No synthetic materials
    - Prefer camel, grey also acceptable
    - Does not fit like tent

It appears my coats did not make the move with me, so I am starting from scratch.

4. originalhype

originalhype Member

I have Clarks chukkas, basically same body as DB, The insoles is very thin so instead i bought a better insole and just put it in there and did not have to rip off the insoles that is included in the shoe. It will not be a problem just putting an insoles because CLARKS insoles are very thin and not supportive.

5. Spurious

Spurious Well-Known Member

I agree with what you've been saying, but this statement is not true.
    This might be the case for the US, but not everywhere in the world.
    Cuff links arent that formal in Europe, especially not in the UK.

6. adamt

adamt Well-Known Member

Bump :)

are these converse slim suitable for a 27 y/o's wardrobe?]

[​IMG][​IMG]

http://www.schuh.co.uk/mens-white-converse-slim-mono-ox/3401961070

As i mainly wear dark brown boat shoes for casual wear with jeans/chinos, casual shirts/sweaters, i want to get some footwear to replace my Adidas Stan Smith trainers - a classic plain white shoe

So was wondering what people think of the above converse slim trainers, for weekend/daytime casual wear (shops, cinema, restaurant, town shopping , friends, etc) with denim jeans, chinos, cargos,and sweatpants,

they look quite versatile so could they be worn with a casual shirt, sweater/cardigan as well as a t-shirt & jacket?

- i just need a casual white shoe but not too sporty like trainers/sneakers are

also do they were a size big? e.g. im a size UK 8, so is size UK 9 more suitable?

thanks

7. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

OConnells is nice stuff, but is pretty trad, so it's not going to be the slimmest fitting. However, your tailor should be able to nip in the waist a bit.

8. omgitswes

omgitswes Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I can find a brown suede belt for about 70 or less?
    Can't find any in any department stores around here. (only have Dillards, Belk, and JCP) And the ones I see online are more than I want to spend.
    I'm a size 34 or 36 btw

9. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

http://www.nunescorrea.com/home?LangChange=EN

Email them directly about their belts; great values.

10. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Well-Known Member

Hi, suit and tie experts!

[​IMG]

Do you know if the tie on the left guy is wrong or somehow weird looking?
    If so, why did the director made the tie so "weird"? And what does that tie to the left and right symbolize?

It's for my film and litterature school assignment.

11. jmills

jmills Well-Known Member

The big knot with a narrow spread collar is probably why he looks weird. He would get ribbed if he posted that in some of threads on here. I imagine it has more to do with the big knot being associated with 'big timers', and the collar is more of a blunder than an intentional choice. You might want to do some searching on the crap people write about so called 'power dressing'.

Think about their hair (head and face) and even the fact that he's wearing a three piece suit (and the other guy isn't) as well.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  12. ohyoumad

ohyoumad Well-Known Member

I'm 6'3 170, and have tons of problems finding clothes that I like the fit/look of.

Why do some thermals/t shirts give me the appearance of man boobs, even though I have none? Not every shirt, just every now and then I'll try something on, and boom.

What kind of boxers are best for wearing under skinnier clothes? I recently picked up some Levis 508s (tapered) and I'm still always struggling with my boxer briefs rolling up on the leg and causing discomfort. And when I wear skinny chinos (not too skinny, they fit fine in the waist) some of them still show a dreaded outline even though there's plenty of loose fabric. I'm thinking I need something that keeps me held in better. Any help appreciated. I really think it's a problem with the underwear, since I'm having problems even when wearing 508s. Same problem with my APC NS.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  13. Dodo

Dodo Well-Known Member

I wear Epaulet shirts in size medium, they fit me fine, I'm quite short so i would like to try the j. crew ludlow sportcoat, which size of J. Crew Ludlow sportcoat should fit me? 38s or 40s? anybody wears epaulet shirts and j. crew sportcoat?
    thanks

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

It depends on your chest size. I tried on a 38s Ludlow single breasted 2 button Suit Jacket and it fit fine in the chest, but did not fit correctly in the shoulders.

15. Velazkez

Velazkez Member

Is it a mistake to buy a used bespoke tweed jacket on ebay? The best alternative for me seems to be J. Crew, but I'm having a hard time getting over the narrow lapels since I'm relatively tall. If the measurements are good, is this likely to work, or is there something I'm missing?

16. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

Used jackets often sell very inexpensively on eBay - not infrequently, for less than 1/10 of what a new jacket of comparable quality would cost at retail. Such being the case, I don't see how it's a mistake to buy such a jacket, assuming you've been provided with multiple, high quality photos of the jacket, and with various measurements from the jacket.

I've done so on occasion (not always for bespoke or tweed), and I've been quite pleased with most of my purchases. As for the ones which just didn't work out... well, given what I paid, even 1 winner in 4 would have been well worth the gamble, and I average several times better than 1 in 4.

17. joehawrng

joehawrng Active Member

Hi,

Is there any recourse for a purchase I did and didn't get the item and now the seller doesn't answer emails? I've bought more than 20 items through SF and NEVER had a problem before this one.

Thanks

18. onix

onix Well-Known Member

Credit card chargeback.

19. russ257

russ257 Member

I am thinking about getting a Brooks Brothers 1818 madison suit on ebay or in the B&S. I haven't been able to get to a brooks brothers store. We have an outlet near here so I was able to try on one of their 346 suits. How the fit compare between the two? I am going to try to make it to Philly this weekend so I can try one on in person but that may not happen.

20. Owen Meany

Owen Meany Well-Known Member

Is this as noticeable to you as it is to me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or do you even see what I am talking about?