1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. thisisfun

thisisfun Active Member

Can anybody help identify the tie used in all the top shelf apparel photos? I quite like it and seek one for myself.

[​IMG]

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

You may be correct.

If anyone would like to buy the Brooks Brothers version, just LMK your size and I can make one for you in about 15 minutes. You must prepay, no returns, and it will be vaaaaaaaary spensive. I am a temperamental genius.

3. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

This is indeed a great Wreak To Order service you are offering here. I would be greatly interested in seeing what can be done to trousers...

4. snowboardpunk

snowboardpunk Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I just bought my first suit after losing about 50 pounds. And im in a dilemna. I bought two pants for the suit since I got it online but size 32 fits perfect on my waist but is way too tight on my legs and below (got muscular legs) but the 34 fits perfect on the leg but way too big on the waist. When I wear a belt, it kind of folds over. And my butt kinda sags. Would you guys recommend making the 32 slightly wider throughout the leg or take in the waist/whatever else I have too with the 34?

5. snowboardpunk

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Get the 34 and have the waist and/or seat taken in. It's an easy operation. I've got big legs as well and the best solution I've found is sizing up and having it taken in.

7. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

Since taking in pants at the waist by no more than 2 inches is usually relatively easy to accomplish without major problems, my guess would be to start with the size 34, and reduce it down to size as needed.

8. snowboardpunk

hmmm ok thanks for the help guys! ill probably go with the 34 then. Although right now Im 170 and i want to lose 10-15 more pounds, how do you think that will affect my lower half? I run about 30 miles a week for weight loss.

9. snowboardpunk

*edit sorry double posted.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  10. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

Around how much does it cost to undo cuffs from a trouser? I just got a trouser hemmed and cuffed and I'm not sure if I like cuffs. I don't think they will undo the cuffs free of charge, right? If it costs too much I might just stick with cuffs.

Also to consider, if I undo the cuffs they will need to change the hem to more of a slant finish?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  11. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Generally it's a few dollars more than getting it hemmed in the first place...which shouldn't have cost very much.

As far as the slant...I think that requires a bit more expertise, so probably more money.

12. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Hard to say without knowing your fat distribution and genetics. If you tend to store fat in your lower body, you could drop another couple inches. Could be hips, thighs, waist, wherever you tend to hold fat. Some guys get the gut and losing weight doesn't affect their pant size much (if they're wearing lower rise pants anyway).

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I would always choose an Alden over an AE.

14. khe86

khe86 Well-Known Member

Anyone in NY can repair this small hole left sleeve? My pants need to be rehemmed (it's too long) so there will be extra fabric to reweave the jacket:

[​IMG]

15. jbernard

jbernard Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a jacket very similar to this. Anyone have any leads?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Well-Known Member

17. JesseJB

JesseJB Well-Known Member

So I'm looking for a car coat or a topcoat. My only long jacket is a trench and I'd like to have something to wear out at night to dinner and to work on on cold, dry days. I can't really decide if either of the following would be versatile for both. (Like would either of them look stupid at night?) I tend to wear a lot of charcoal trousers and my suits are generally charcoal.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/NewArrivals/outerwear/PRDOVR~99484/99484.jsp
    http://www.billyreid.com/product/astor-coat-brown.html

Thanks!

18. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

Why would you think that?

Personally I'd like the first better but neither is going to look stupid

19. JesseJB

JesseJB Well-Known Member

Light colored coat at night- I would think it would stick out too much. But I get a bit neurotic about crap like that so it's good to be told that it works fine. Thanks!

20. Josiah Robinson

Josiah Robinson New Member