1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. --AH--

--AH-- Member

Looks like a shirt that should be tucked in, seeing that it tapers at the waist and then flares out at the hips. I'd prefer a straight cut if its to be tucked out. Yes, sleeves are too long.

Then another problem, looks too short to be comfortably tucked in? Or you are wearing your pants low.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Well-Known Member

I would wear it tucked in if at all possible. With jeans or something you could pull that off untucked though IMO. The sleeves look long and you can see some extra fabric folding up around your forearm.

3. OlenWeaver

OlenWeaver Member

I'm more comfortable that way in general and I work in a very casual office. Also, that shirt felt a little puffy around the waist when I tucked it in. But this is pretty much the first time in my life when I've started trying to think seriously about how my clothes fit, so maybe I'm being overly sensitive.

I'm not wearing my pants low, at least not intentionally.

4. dena

dena Member

thanks to the both of you, much appreciated

EDIT: So it seems a navy SC is the most versatile.

5. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

I'd say tucked in but I don't like them untucked.
    There has to be some cloth around your waist so you can make basic movements without it getting untucked all the time. The shirt seem to fit well except, as said, sleeves a little long.

6. red81

red81 Well-Known Member

great answer, thought this thread forgot about me.

it's in jamaica actually.

7. guayabera

guayabera Member

if jamaica, then what i said should be fine. you could also hedge your bets; pack a shirt you already have & see what the options are when you arrive there. good luck!

8. OhGunner

OhGunner New Member

Hi fellas

First post after all the confusion what to wear, how to style myself, etc...I spent an hour on google before a chance collision with style forum and joined instantly in hope your advice will make me look/feel good. I have an extensive wardrobe of branded items, some duplicates and sadly more than 75% is not being touched. With your input I will launch myself in...

Starting from tomorrow: I am thinking of blue stripe on white shirt to go with Dockers khaki pants. Cold snap is back in Britain - just a bit confused what kind/colour of overcoat do you wear with that combo? I have a pea coat navy blue, mid grey raincoat, and few other knee length coats.

Shoes and raincoat image links as under:

http://www.johnlewis.com/276467/Product.aspx?SearchTerm=RecentlyViewedList
    http://www.reiss.com/mens/coats-and-jackets/baker/mid-grey/?q=flaker+mid+grey

Look forward to your helpful hints and tips.

9. OlenWeaver

OlenWeaver Member

I have returned with more photos and silly questions.

Is this more acceptable? I always feel like I do a poor job tucking in and end up with some bunching and billowing.

As for the sleeves, I assume there's nothing I can do other than going to a tailor or rolling them up? That shirt is J. Crew Factory washed, medium slim fit. I didn't try a small on, but I doubt I could fit into one, so I'll have to find another store with sleeves for people with apparently slightly short arms. Any suggestions for a moderately priced option?

Thank you all for the help so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

Wear your pants higher.

11. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

Pull your shoes up, son.

12. OlenWeaver

OlenWeaver Member

Gosh, they already feel like they're squeezing my most unsqueezable parts. Is that normal? Does that mean I should be buying pants with higher rise?

13. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Well-Known Member

Hike them up. You either have a nonexistent ass or you are wearing them too low. The rise on those pants look standard.

14. OlenWeaver

OlenWeaver Member

I think it's probably a little of both. But I will hike them up as high as I can.

15. --AH--

--AH-- Member

Looks like lots of excess fabric at the waist and hips, you were just sweeping all those to the back, which looks very apparent. You shirt will come untucked too easily.

Maybe a side view would help, but I think you have a flat seat, leading to bunching of fabric behind your pants. Still looks low to me though, could be a photo illusion!

16. kevinardente

kevinardente Member

Can anyone comment on the quality of Paul Betenly?

17. jesPak

jesPak Active Member

Great deal on gilt for sebastien grey MTM suits (at least, seems to be). Anyone here with experience with the company, and, am I asking for trouble being fairly new to purchasing suits, in going for something like this? I would probably wait until I'd had a little more experience but seems to be a pretty good deal @ ~ $500 so I"m thinking of going for it.

18. rms340

rms340 Well-Known Member

Thoughts on these shoes?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I find it hard to come by good shoes in my size ( EU38, US 6) but these are my size. They are a brand called Massimo by Stemar. The only thing that has me feeling weary is that it seems the sole of the shoes are rubber. Should I kop, or should I pass?

19. OlenWeaver

OlenWeaver Member

OK, another attempt. I appreciate the patience you folks have shown with my foolish questions.

--AH--, you were exactly right that I swept the shirt fabric to the back before. I included a side shot this time for you. You're probably also right that I have a flat seat, although I think it looks a little less flat this time.

Seems like the pants are a little too short now that I pulled them up. Should I go an inch or two longer on the inseam?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

Good enough for me, it's an off the rack shirt, after all. I'll keep it.
    I won't wear pants that short but probably nice for SF.

P.S. I mean that the shirt looks fine, my comment above looks a little...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012