1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. onix

onix Well-Known Member

The tie is horrendous (looks 1980s from a thrift store). Also, learn to tie with a dimple. Both shirt & jacket have small stripes which is a big no. For those who are new with pattern coordination, the safe bet is to have a solid pattern on one garment.

2. Tailor Dan

Tailor Dan Well-Known Member

If suit is a little brown then an off white (or cream) solid shirt will work and maybe a brown textured tie, or rust.

Knot of tie: try the old school boy knot called a four in hand rather than half windsor. Can get a dimple by pinching as you narrowing towards the neck when doing up.

3. guayabera

guayabera Member

sounds like just "summer outdoor wear". where in the caribbean is this?

depending on the answer, a guayabera would be the traditional (local) choice :D
    white, long-sleeved, don't tuck it in, button almost all the buttons, and please wear an undershirt!
    get linen if you can, to avoid being see-through. avoid the cheap cotton/poly blends. color details on the embroidery are fine (some really nice ones have small flowers), but keep it simple. you should be able to easily get one in-country for under $50. if you don't want to go this route, then a white/pale shirt is sufficient.
    jacket is optional if guayabera, but otherwise something light/mid grey, light blue, or cream/tan (in no particular order).

as it's casual, you have some room to play with on the trouser front: chinos, or mid-grey cotton are pretty standard; whatever goes with the jacket. linen would be great except most linen trousers are too baggy gringo-on-holiday casual & not sharp enough. for shoes, sounds like regular office-dress shoes, fancy casual, or a nice pair of loafers, probably in brown though nothing wrong with black or cordovan if it goes with the trousers.

if outdoors in summer, consider a panama hat.

4. clotheshound

clotheshound Active Member

[​IMG]

Guys,
    Honest opinion please. Does my beloved Canali DB 6X2 look a bit dated? Specifically the lapel width. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

No, it does not!

6. guayabera

guayabera Member

Color for pair of 2nd shoes?

I've got basic black office/work/nice shoes. I'm about to buy a second pair of 'good' shoes, specifically the strap Jodphurs from Dehner (
    http://dehner.com/customshoes_paddock.html ) which look like this in their "tan" (mid-brown):
    [​IMG]

I'm in both engineering academia and the PNW, so anything that can't be worn to the pub would stand out overly much from my peers (it is assumed I am interviewing for jobs elsewhere on days I wear a jacket), and I need to actually be able to walk a few miles per day in my shoes.

What color to get? Mid-brown, dark brown, or #23 cordovan?
    Here are the 3 leathers, though not in the style i want:
    mid-brown:
    [​IMG]
    dark-brown:
    [​IMG]
    cordovan:
    [​IMG]

Things I'll be wearing with the shoes:
    My trousers tend towards grey, very dark jeans, and sometimes chinos/khakis. Never black, nor navy, though maybe I should get some navy wool ones this winter.
    Shirts: lots of blue (light&dark); some pink/lavender are my main non-white colors.
    Jackets: mid-grey, tan.
    Jumpers: grey, claret, blue.

I am leaning towards the mid-brown (boy, are there some pretty ones posted in the Tan Shoe thread), but I worry it would stand out too much against the dark trousers & jeans? From talking to the sales rep at Dehner, the mid-brown will not darken much over time.

Dark brown seems too boring, and cordovan is pretty, but I've never owned cordovan before so I worry that I'll screw up the care.

yer advices, please?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  7. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

No. It may not represent cutting edge fashion trendiness, but I see that as more of a virtue, than a problem.

8. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  9. clotheshound

clotheshound Active Member

OK, thanks for the vote of confidence. It fits me like no other jacket I have, and it feels so regal, for lack of a better term. I love wearing it, but I see newer pieces with slightly less wide peaked lapels on DB's.
    To hell with the trends ! I am not fashion, I am style !
    Thanks guys !!
    [​IMG]

10. onix

onix Well-Known Member

For my eyes, it looks dated, from both the style and the color. Though the lapel width is not necessary the indicator (Tom Ford has a bunch of huge lapel designs last winter). I would be interested to see how you can pull it off.

11. emc894

emc894 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  12. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

14. adamt

adamt Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have been giving the following Diesel jeans:

[​IMG]

But am unsure what footwear would go best wit them?

Im a 27 year old man and usually were mid-blue denim jeans with dark brown boat shoes, but not too sure they will go well with thee jeans?
    if not, what other footwear could i use?

i will be wearing these jeans with casual shirts, maybe a plain (gray/navy/black) sweater/cardigan too

will be fore evening and weekend casual wear, to the shops, to the pub/cinema/out with friends

15. bitesize

bitesize Member

I'm buying some Wolverine 1000 Miles in Brown and I want to get my first legit pair of denim to go with the boots and be usable in a wide variety of looks. I like a slimmer leg fit, living in Brooklyn and all, as long as it's not too extreme (and my slightly more muscular build makes it easy to go extreme there). Any suggestions? Either on brands/styles, or on NYC stores to visit?

16. Tailor Dan

Nope. Hard to tell just on hanger. Crisp white shirt, looks brilliant.

17. Tailor Dan

Wear a great pair of suedes. C&j's Belgrave in Polo Bown suede are beautiful and a great differing look on your feet than boat shoes. http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Belgrave-Polobrown

18. yywwyy

yywwyy Well-Known Member

19. jabs88

jabs88 New Member

My dad's older Ferragamo's (Studio Line, so theyre the cheaper ones.) I know theres a lot of hate for square toed shoes, but are these passable?

I'm deciding whether I should keep them, or just sell them to the nearest thrift shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  20. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Well-Known Member

Seconded. as long as it's trim, you'll be looking great.