• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

jjjcking1

Reaction score
Just picked up a pair of AE Strands for $180 online from AAFES, but they were shipped from AE. Shoes have wrinkles in the leather and I
should be worried about?

Slickman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help me choose summer loafer:

Alden Suede Tassel Loafer...$450 new

SW1 Sloop Water Buffalo...$550 new

SW1 Sloop Dark Brown...$550 new

SW1 Sloop Brown Suede...$550 new

Vass Shell Penny Loafer F-Last...$8-900 i believe

Any other recommendations, perhaps in navy suede?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for an SF-approved tailor either in Utah or Nevada (roughly between SLC and Las Vegas). I've been having jackets nipped and tucked by fly-by-night "tailors" who proceed to butcher the lining while leaving me with a (still) poor fitting garment. As I read more on the subject through the stickies (thankyouSF) I realize there's far more to it than just opening the back seam and pulling in fabric. Any recommendations?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden Suede Tassel Loafer...$450 new

Vass Shell Penny Loafer F-Last...$8-900 i believe

You can pick up the C&J Cavendish from Shipton & Heneage for ~$350.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[/SPOILER]

I have never seen such a treatment of a camp moc design. It just looks strange- to me, they're boat shoe equivalents. The first is the strangest, the second two at least use leathers a little more suited to the design, but the last and structure still wierds me out.

This is what a camp moc is supposed to look like:
Bean+camp+mocs.jpg

That aside, buy 'em if you like them. But the europeans keep (IMO) butchering classic american shoe designs. The english did it to penny loafers, which I have seen before, and now the Italians are doing it to the camp moc. A similar version of the bean boot must be in the works...

Last edited:

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey all - I'm looking to make an investment in a versatile wool coat / jacket that will look good, keep me warm, and serve me well for several years. Something clean and classic would be nice. I'm more interested in value than concerned about actual cost (willing to lay down some dime for the right coat).
I'm looking for something that meets the following criteria:
-For casual city wear. Will only be worn with denim, usually with quality brown leather boots.
-Not a peacoat: I already have 2 nice old kersey wool peacoats
-Gray or navy
-button closure
-around 31-34" inches long or so (about the length of a size 40 Barbour Beaufort, or a bit longer, if that helps) that covers the rear but stops well short of the knees.
-don't want a cropped coat with a waistband
-don't want a long coat or top coat (too dressy, annoying to sit and drive in, generally not as utilitarian as I'm looking for with this jacket)
-preferably with vents
-will consider lined or unlined. My priority is to find a quality wool shell and the right cut
-by 'quality wool' I don't mean cashmere or anything with a fancy finish--i loved the tight-knit kersey wool of old peacoats
-I'm 5'9" and 185 lbs and wear a size 40 suit (but will never wear this jacket with a suit)
Years ago as an undergrad, I wore and loved the J. Crew University Jacket because it was warm, easy to wear, had generous pockets, and looked somewhat respectable. I'm essentially looking for an "adult" version of that coat, if such a thing exists. Better quality, better construction, but equally versatile and utilitarian.
Any suggestions or ideas where to start?

Filson?

sohwhat

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I found my way to this forum after an internet search for affordable quality dress shoes. Armed with information from SF, I bought a pair of AE Park Avenues. While this satisfies my need for black dress shoes, I still need some brown shoes. I may end up getting another pair from AE to fill the formal brown shoe void, but I came across these shoes from Profession Bottier and at their current price ($110 incl. shipping) appear to be a good deal for casual brown shoes? Although I don't completely believe in the "retail yoox price," a large European online shoe store (spartoo.eu) seems to corroborate their retail value. I did an internet search and the few thoughts on the internet seem 50/50 on the brand/quality (incl. a french clothing forum - thank you Google translate).

I know it's just a picture, but any thoughts on the brand Profession Bottier? overall quality? type of leather and construction? would you buy it?
I would appreciate thoughts and advice!
The original image can be found here and the product here.

smashwindow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Borrelli Navy Blue Sportcoat – Size: 42 US ($399) 91% Cotton, 9% Linen
Is this a good deal for a summer blazer? Yes or No? Its pretty much perfect size-wise for me.

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I found my way to this forum after an internet search for affordable quality dress shoes. Armed with information from SF, I bought a pair of AE Park Avenues. While this satisfies my need for black dress shoes, I still need some brown shoes. I may end up getting another pair from AE to fill the formal brown shoe void, but I came across these shoes from Profession Bottier and at their current price ($110 incl. shipping) appear to be a good deal for casual brown shoes? Although I don't completely believe in the "retail yoox price," a large European online shoe store (spartoo.eu) seems to corroborate their retail value. I did an internet search and the few thoughts on the internet seem 50/50 on the brand/quality (incl. a french clothing forum - thank you Google translate).

I know it's just a picture, but any thoughts on the brand Profession Bottier? overall quality? type of leather and construction? would you buy it?
I would appreciate thoughts and advice!
The original image can be found here and the product here.

I've never heard of Profession Bottier, so I can't comment on quality. However, those look really dark - almost black. A lighter shade of brown would be much more versatile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads