• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

robert in LA

Reaction score

What UK size / width am I?

I measured my feet on a Footjoy-branded Brannock Device.
Measurements came back as US11 Wide, which I think translates to a US 11EE.

However, based on conflicting advice from various websites, I'm unsure if I'm supposed to downsize 1 or 1/2?
So far the values I have come up with are UK10G or UK10.5F.  

I know that there is a margin of error based on specific lasts shapes, etc, but I'm thinking of ordering Loake shoes online and need a general rule of thumb.

With Loakes, I would definitely go with the 10.5 UK for a US 11.

The Thin Man

Reaction score

Where would one find crockett and jones shoes for decent prices online? Also, because i highly doubt I can try them on in michigan, how does a 10.5e/11d match up in c&j shoes based upon my sizing in AEs? Thanks for any insight, new to the shoe game!

Any alternatives out there in regard to a oxford toe cap dress shoe in the same price an quality range as the:
Loake 1880 - Aldwych and Allen Edmonds - Park Avenue ? 

What UK size / width am I?

I measured my feet on a Footjoy-branded Brannock Device.
Measurements came back as US11 Wide, which I think translates to a US 11EE.

However, based on conflicting advice from various websites, I'm unsure if I'm supposed to downsize 1 or 1/2?
So far the values I have come up with are UK10G or UK10.5F.  

I know that there is a margin of error based on specific lasts shapes, etc, but I'm thinking of ordering Loake shoes online and need a general rule of thumb.

You shouldn't buy shoes that you aren't trying on in person, unless you are prepared to return them if they don't fit. And don't use wishful thinking that something fits "somewhat." Many times on this forum, people work themselves into a weird state where they focus on the shoes as objects instead of something that needs to fit on their feet.

That being said, some of the Brooks Brothers Peal shoes are C&J -- generally they're the ones that come in both standard and nonstandard widths. Bodileys and Pediwear offer the best online C&J selection and prices. A 10.5E in Allen Edmonds would be (roughly) an 9.5F in C&J (when translating from US to UK, generally subtract one to the length and add one letter to the width, although Edward Green is usually just a half-size lower).

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I had a tailor taper a pair of my pants. They really messed up the fit, but fortunately just folded the fabric over on the inside. Is it more work for another tailor to open the pants back up and fix them than the original job? I asked one place and they tried to charge me way more saying that it was more work to open up the new seam, but it seems like the first person had to do that too...

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dear styleforum, I'm not as rich as I once was. With style that some may call "questionable", I call "doing the best I can with whatever i find from goodwill". That being said, please don't hate too much.
I'm trying to go for more of a clean look, with springy colors. Not going for super-flashy. Also - no laughing at the belt, I quite like it.
I'm looking for advice, suggestions, thoughts, etc.
Shirt, tie, jacket, shoes - goodwill. Belt - ebay. Pants - Kindly donated to me by the fine Rugby fellows on Bleecker St.
iNrXi.jpg

SwDNL.jpg

jEtfR.jpg

ycjE4.jpg

I think it works, but it's pretty dang flashy. I would tone down the shirt- try a white oxford instead.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what the hell is that? pocket square of the month club?

Essentially. There are several SF members who've joined up, and they've all been happy with the squares they've received.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rebuilding wardrobe. Need suggestions. I need these to be:
A) available second hand on ebay or B&S
B) inexpensive (second hand), but not garbage
C) cuts that will work on me, if I can afford anything I probably can't afford to tailor it too.

Shirts
3 medium/heavy weight Casual OCBD’s in solid or conservative checks (have maybe 2) +1-2

Sweaters
2 Solid sweater vests, 1 grey, 1 navy (have grey) +1

Pants
1 pair good heavy grey flannels (have mediocre)
1 pair jeans (need good pair apparently) +1

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a tailor taper a pair of my pants. They really messed up the fit, but fortunately just folded the fabric over on the inside. Is it more work for another tailor to open the pants back up and fix them than the original job? I asked one place and they tried to charge me way more saying that it was more work to open up the new seam, but it seems like the first person had to do that too...

My tailor tapers many of my trousers, it should not be more difficult than the norm. Unless your other tailor added more stitching or something similar.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It should be more or less the same operation in reverse, I don't see why it should cost any more to let out than it did to take in.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

My tailor tapers many of my trousers, it should not be more difficult than the norm. Unless your other tailor added more stitching or something similar.

It should be more or less the same operation in reverse, I don't see why it should cost any more to let out than it did to take in.

Thanks guys. That was my thought, so I walked.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Dear styleforum, I'm not as rich as I once was. With style that some may call "questionable", I call "doing the best I can with whatever i find from goodwill". That being said, please don't hate too much.
I'm trying to go for more of a clean look, with springy colors. Not going for super-flashy. Also - no laughing at the belt, I quite like it.
I'm looking for advice, suggestions, thoughts, etc.

If you question your own style decisions, and are going for not-super-flashy, avoid matching loud patterns and anything lime green.

Layered Player

Reaction score
Have a job interview tomorrow and am wondering what the consensus here is on pocket squares in that context.

It's a fairly relaxed company but I'm still wearing a traditional navy suit, etc.

Would it be distracting to the interviewer? I want them concentrating on ME, not what I'm wearing other than "he sure dresses well".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads