1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Well-Known Member

what do you mean no, that's beckham if I'm not mistaken, and I have seen almost that exact jacket in the windows on 5th avenue so... ya.

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

What is the best knot to tie a 7 fold with? I can't get the half windsor to knot or dimple properly. I don't have this problem with other ties, thicker non 7 folds included.

3. JBMarce21

JBMarce21 Well-Known Member

just go 4 in hand, you'll have a lot more ease of dimple. 4 in hand is really my go-to I never tie anything other than that

4. Nickolas

Nickolas Member

I have attempted to post this as a new topic but after searching around on the forums, this would appear the more fitting location for this. Also, the new topic requires moderation approval and as I am in a bit of a hurry then this might be quicker anyway. So moderators, feel free to delete either/or as you see fit.

The question is which tie would be most appropriate for an interview with this grey pinstripe suit and a white shirt? This is in the financial services industry and the position is strategy and execution analyst, so the look needs to be very professional. In the picture with the three ties I have already eliminated the middle one. The suit is the same one in both pictures and in the picture with the suit and white shirt, that is not a vest, it is the same yellow tie as in the other picture only not tied. Someone advised that I go with the yellow one because it shows energy, however, I'm afraid it might not be quite professional enough. I am also concerned that the small dark squares on it do not match since they are navy blue.

Also, would very dark brown shoes/belt or black be more appropriate?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

5. Claghorn

The first picture doesn't really give a good idea of the colors you are working with; can you post another?

(and I like the yellow, but it might, as you said, not feel professional enough)

6. Nickolas

Nickolas Member

That picture was taken with a relatively poor quality camera, my apologies, are these better?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would not have trouble picking up another tie if neither seem to match the suit of course...

7. Nickolas

Nickolas Member

Just tried to post additional pictures but I get a message reading that the post is being held for moderator approval. Is this because of the number of pictures in the the reply or possibly the time between posts?

Maybe this will work...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  8. Septimus

Septimus Well-Known Member

When cloth is cut on the bias, as I understand it, the "grain" is diagonal rather than than vertical. So, a pinstripe would be diagonal, not vertical. Most ties are cut on the bias, if that helps you visualize it. In the top picture you posted, the piping is cut ont he bias, which you can see because the stripes are diagonal, not vertical.

9. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Guess this qualifies as a quick question:

I've been gifted an OCBD shirt. The neck, chest and shoulders fit well, and I really like the cloth; but the waist is really blousy. My tailor charges €5 for putting darts on the back, but the problem is that this shirt has a center box pleat. I believe darts would look weird with such a pleat, am I right? I don't really like box pleats anyways, so is it possible to undo the yoke and turn them into side pleats? though that would be more expensive.

Since it was a gift from someone I appreciate, I want to keep it...

Thank you!

10. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Well-Known Member

the easy trick is to run the box pleat all the way down like a band of outsiders shirt.

it is not hard to turn a box pleat into side pleats.

11. Claghorn

The gray will probably give you a washed out look. Definite downsides to both ties. Don't suppose borrowing/buying another tie is an option?

I like the collar on the white shirt.

12. Nickolas

Nickolas Member

Buying another tie is absolutely an option, buying another suit on the other hand is not as easy... what would you suggest?

13. rms340

rms340 Well-Known Member

14. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

A solid navy tie will do the trick.

1 person likes this.
  15. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Have it taken in from the sides. Not quite as easy and cheap as darts, but the better option for anything beyond a minor adjustment, and works perfectly fine with any pleats.

16. gooter

gooter Well-Known Member

Anyone here use metal collar stays? If so, where did you get them?

edit: I should mention I'm in Canada :)

17. jmills

jmills Well-Known Member

Metal gives a good look generally, but might not be ideal for shirts worn casually (without a tie). I know some people that bend them a bit. Not sure where you are from, but you could try TM Lewin, Charles Tyrwhitt, Brooks Brothers, or eHaberdasher (linked on the right side of the page).

18. rms340

rms340 Well-Known Member

I use Wurkin Stiffs. Metal collar stays with magnets to hold your collars down. Here's a link: http://www.wurkinstiffs.com

19. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

I bought mine from Gilt Group and they are from Jan Leslie. They are about $20 for 6 pairs and are made of brass or stainless steel depending on which ones you get.

http://www.janleslie.com/taxonomy/term/19

20. Nickolas

Nickolas Member

I know this camera takes pretty bad quality pictures but how do these options look?
    That is NOT the same suit as before but the other pinstripe suit I will be wearing is at the tailor. I thought this suit jacket was closer to the other grey suit when I put it in the picture but now that I compare the other picture it looks much lighter. So I apologize for throwing it off with that light grey, try to imagine the darker suit from before...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]