1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Gilmour

Gilmour Well-Known Member

Which size shoe tree to get.

I have a size 8UK shoe.

The Allen Edmonds shoe trees I am looking at come in 6-8 or 8-10 ( US sizes ?? ) are Allen Edmonds USA made.

I am thinking I should get the 8-10 size am I right or wrong.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

Get the 8-10 size Your UK 8 equates to a US 8.5.

3. Gilmour

Gilmour Well-Known Member

Thanks for advice, I will look at your links now.

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Thanks. Will stick with the shirts from Uniqlo right now as I like them. With added darts the fit on me is impeccable. And the reason why I want to stray away from OCBD is that when I get them darted, the middle darting typical of OCBD shirts causes upper blousing of my back. As far as collar stays I just want to minimize the "flying away" of spread collars as that is the only collar I enjoy wearing when I do sport a tie. So, here is to ordering a few collar stays and see how that goes.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

You should wait for sales on Charles Tywhitt shirts. they are decent and can usually be gotten at around $30 on sale. They have constant sales too.

6. amathew

amathew Well-Known Member

Agree, but CT shirts are like a semi-tent, even their slimmed fit (tailored fit). I know the guy didn't mention what he was looking for in terms of fit, but CT shirts are not so slim.

7. amathew

I have another question:

How do you folks take care of your sweaters so that they don't get any moth holes in them?

I've just had all my sweater destroyed after not taking good care of them. Thankfully, none of it was expensive.

And second, do you hang or fold your merino wool cardigans? I fold all my v-neck and crew neck sweaters and hang my cardigans? I wonder if I should fold them instead.

8. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

The tailored fit are quite slim, moreso than Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit, at least for neck sizes 16" and above. Below that, Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit are slimmer than CT.

Here is a link to get shirts for $40 each: http://www.ctshirts.com/Default.aspx?q=aw008|||||||||||||||

9. canstyleace

canstyleace Well-Known Member

To each their own....

Nobody said to smother them, in fact I didn't say anything about the amount to use,,,, I put just a little bit on my dress shoes and it works great for me and I don't re-apply for a long while, on my work/casual shoes I put a decent amount and they hold up for ages under most conditions and lots of abuse, so personally I can't say anything bad about the stuff but ymmv,,,, I do agree that you shouldnt use a lot of this stuff and it isn't the best shoe care product for high end dress shoes.

10. Swimfan92

Swimfan92 New Member

11. LilTimmy

LilTimmy Member

New here...

I will be having my first "formal" job interview in 2 weeks time.

I have never dressed up and I never really cared about style until now. (jeans and tshirts type of guy) [​IMG]

I'm a male, 22 years old, 5'3", 135lbs, short dark hair.

What should I wear? Where can I purchase it? What size am I?
    What color tie? Shoul I even wear a tie? shoes, what type of shoes?

Thanks

You can include images etc.

12. amathew

Your best bet is to go to a Brooks Brothers or a fine mens retailer and have them take your measurements.

What's your budget?

13. LilTimmy

LilTimmy Member

My budget is no more than $100

I should also note that I'm moving away and my budget is pretty tight at the moment.

Can $100-$150 at the most, get me a decent suit?

It's for a teaching job, if that matters.

Thank you very much

14. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

You can get a ~$100 linen suit from H&M.

White or light blue dress shirt. My preference is a burgundy tie. White linen pocket square if you really wanna look nice.

15. bluedove

bluedove Well-Known Member

Does anyone know - who makes and where can i purchase this boot?

16. wesny

wesny Active Member

I have 100 dollars to Ralph Lauren that I need to spend before it expires. What should I buy? I was looking at various pants and wondering which cut was their slimmest. All of them look gigantic on the site. Is Rugby slimmer? What pair out right now is my best bet?

17. wesny

wesny Active Member

The new Gap slim fit that someone else mentioned is actually quite good. A better fit than J. Crew or Brooks. Nothing fits me all that well from Gap but these are great out of the box. And cheap at 30% off when they run a sale, which is often.

18. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

Attending a wedding soon. "theme" colour (urgh) is purple (grape shade, not violet). I have a repo stripe that will look like I am participating without taking me into the cheese zone.

Silver gray suit, white shirt .... black shoes or burgundy shells?

19. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Well-Known Member

Just got this Borrelli shirt. It is a nice fine fabric but somewhat see . I don't wear jackets usually. What should I do? If I wear a white under shirt it will surely be visible underneath. Fit is OK. I'm planning on slimming it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

It's been recommended on here to wear grey shirts under shirts that are thin as they don't reflect light as much as white.