• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick an dirty way:
1. thin layer of wax, spread evenly without buffing.
2. 1 drop of water, circular rubbing using cloth, light to moderate pressure
3. repeat 2 until get shine
At first, you may need to do step 2 many times (5-10 times), but after you are familiar with the process and can feel how much pressure you need when rubbing, then it would take very little of water.

It can't be right to be so excited about finding a new (to me) way to get a mirror shine!
biggrin.gif
I'm going to give this a try later.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While searching through topics about John Smedley, I ran across a post in 2008 where there was a 20% off code across all items for special customers. Are there still such sales today?

sonofdracula

Reaction score
Hello, i'm new here. I am in the process of throwing out/giving away things that don't fit me etc. Currently I just have 1 pair of brown shoes (from Jeep)

I want to start with 2 decent pairs of shoes. 1 black (was thinking some nice penny loafers) and 1 some other color (clark's desert boots?). I don't have much to spend now since i'm a student. Please suggest which 2 kinds of shoes I should get. Nothing dressy, just 2 go to shoes i can wear daily. Thanks.

netsua

Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of purchasing a pair of RL Darltons as my oneshoe. I'm a little concerned about the sizing. I hear they fit about a half size too big? I usually wear a size 10 US in most shoes. Does size 9.5 sound right? 2nd question: I'm having the same problem with a pair of shoes(See pic below), does anyone know the cause of this?
I found this thread and have a question about the fit. Should the shoes bow out around the opening like this?
img2733dq1.jpg

brarjag

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the board and had a quick question. What is the style name of the shirts where you roll the cuff/sleeve back and it is a different pattern than the shirt itself. Also is that still in style right now. Thanks for your time.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi,

New to the board and had a quick question.  What is the style name of the shirts where you roll the cuff/sleeve back and it is a different pattern than the shirt itself.  Also is that still in style right now.  Thanks for your time.

I applaud you for coming to this thread to ask this question and sincerely hope you find an acceptable answer tho I don't have it for you at this time.

Welcome!

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, I'm thinking of purchasing a pair of RL Darltons as my oneshoe. I'm a little concerned about the sizing. I hear they fit about a half size too big? I usually wear a size 10 US in most shoes. Does size 9.5 sound right?
2nd question:
I'm having the same problem with a pair of shoes(See pic below), does anyone know the cause of this?

Low instep.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello, i'm new here. I am in the process of throwing out/giving away things that don't fit me etc. Currently I just have 1 pair of brown shoes (from Jeep)

I want to start with 2 decent pairs of shoes. 1 black (was thinking some nice penny loafers) and 1 some other color (clark's desert boots?). I don't have much to spend now since i'm a student. Please suggest which 2 kinds of shoes I should get. Nothing dressy, just 2 go to shoes i can wear daily. Thanks.

You'd have to tell us what else you wear on a daily. I would suggest looking thru the Rider deals and steals section of Ron Rider's site to find some good deals on shoes.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I want to start with 2 decent pairs of shoes. 1 black (was thinking some nice penny loafers) and 1 some other color (clark's desert boots?).

I like loafers a great deal, but find that black loafers tend to be less versatile than brown, burgundy, etc. ones.

A loafer is, by it's nature, a somewhat casual shoe. Sure, some are much more formal than others, but in general loafers are less formal than most lace-up dress shoes.

Black, typically being used as a more formal, business-like shoe color, is directly opposed to this casual character.

Plus, you indicate these shoes shouldn't be too dressy and should be suitable for daily wear. At least for me, casual daily wear pants are often khaki colored chinos. And I don't really like the look of black shoes with light colored chinos.

So get a good pair of loafers, sure. Great idea. Just not in black. Well, not unless you invariably wear grey pants, I suppose. And even then, grey pants and burgundy loafers are a good combination, too.

Sebago sells some decent (not great, but decent) loafers, like the Cayman II, priced under $100. Bass Wejuns are arguably the classic penny loafer, but today's wejuns aren't really all that great quality. They're perhaps not quite as awful as some would have you believe, but the Sebagos really are better. Depending on your shoe size, it may be possible to find a pair of nearly new Allen Edmonds loafers on eBay, for a very low price. AE offers several different types of loafers, and they tend to be of good quality.

Anyway, if you're going to have two pairs of shoes, and one pair will be loafers (a perfectly fine choice), make the second pair something a little more mainstream than desert boots. (And I have nothing against desert boots. If you were looking to buy 4 or 5 pairs of shoes, I wouldn't have any problem with one pair being desert boots.) A great choice would be something as close as possible to, say, the Allen Edmonds Strand. Maybe not the AE Strand itself, if you're on a tight budget. But a pair of Strands, in walnut, would be extremely versatile - suitable for wearing with anything from nice jeans up to wool pants and a blazer. Not ideal for wearing with a suit (due to both the color and the brogueing), but far from awful, even there.
--
Michael

atruedsgb

Reaction score
I am going to a semi-formal NYE hotel party. I was thinking of wearing the below suit, instead of a traditional blue or black suit to the party. Thoughts?? The suit would be paired with a darker purple/white checked dress shirt, with a collar strong enough to stand on its own (no tie).

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

New to the board and had a quick question. What is the style name of the shirts where you roll the cuff/sleeve back and it is a different pattern than the shirt itself. Also is that still in style right now. Thanks for your time.

I don't think this is a particular style of shirt, but a manufacturing detail. I believe they're usually described as "contrast cuffs," and the interior of the collar is often lined with the same fabric. Though they're often fabrics that wouldn't be suitable for an entire shirt, that doesn't have to be the case.

As far as in style, it's my impression that they're neither trending nor actively disparaged. But I think it depends on the fabric and patterns. White oxford cloth button-down with blue oxford cloth contrast collars and cuffs? Subtle visual interest. Personally, I think that subtle contrast cuffs, either solid colors or relatively classic patterns (like stripes of some kind), are nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads