• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could be a lot of things. If you dab the cloth with a very little bit of water you don't need to dab back in wax if you have already applied the wax. Also, give the wax a minute or so to dry a bit.

Sorry, I meant that I dab the cloth in wax only once for each layer, not twice.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tried to get a mirror shine on my Alden burgundy captoes yesterday and gave up after an hour. Here was my routine:
1. Put on conditioner/cleaner and buff with horsehair brush.
2. Put base layer of Sapphir wax over shoe with cloth.
3. Wrapped cloth around my finger, dabbed in water, dabbed in wax, and applied to toe cap in fast circle rubbing motion.
4. Apply hot breath to toe cap and rub again.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4.
I did not pause between any of the steps. Maybe this was my mistake? I think I was using too much water as well, judging by how people stress how little water should be used. After about an hour, I got a slight shine near the seam of the toe cap area, but I could still see the microbumps on the rest of the toe cap. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to remove the wax buildup if I want to start again?
Also, could someone link me to a good mirror shine guide? I've searched the forum and the two most commonly referenced guides (Sysdoc's and Saint Crispin's) are both dead. Thank you.

A quick an dirty way:
1. thin layer of wax, spread evenly without buffing.
2. 1 drop of water, circular rubbing using cloth, light to moderate pressure
3. repeat 2 until get shine

At first, you may need to do step 2 many times (5-10 times), but after you are familiar with the process and can feel how much pressure you need when rubbing, then it would take very little of water.

Last edited:

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about this vintage light blue 3 piece? I have just purchased it couple days ago. While it is on its way I feel as if the maybe color might be a bit too much, I'm not sure whether to keep it or return it once it arrives.
Here is the photo of the jacket. Inputs welcome.
$(KGrHqF,!jUE65jdWOSEBO8qLlKvgw~~60_3.JPG

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A quick an dirty way:
1. thin layer of wax, spread evenly without buffing.
2. 1 drop of water, circular rubbing using cloth, light to moderate pressure
3. repeat 2 until get shine
At first, you may need to do step 2 many times (5-10 times), but after you are familiar with the process and can feel how much pressure you need when rubbing, then it would take very little of water.

I thought you need multiple layers of wax to cover up the uneven surface of the leather?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

How do you guys feel about this vintage light blue 3 piece? I have just purchased it couple days ago. While it is on its way I feel as if the maybe color might be a bit too much, I'm not sure whether to keep it or return it once it arrives.

The color looks a bit dated.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The color looks a bit dated.

My thoughts as well, I'll wait to see what others think before confirming on the return. Thank you sir.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought you need multiple layers of wax to cover up the uneven surface of the leather?

You only need enough wax to cover the leather pores, which are too small anyway, so any amount of wax you use is enough. The more wax you use, the harder it is to get the shine.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are good pocket square colors paired with a purple shirt? Yellow?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In my mind I see something olive, or something with olive in it.

Last edited:

Antatra

Reaction score
Anyone offering UK proxy services?

I see the old thread is archived, so is this the place to ask now?

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If it fit me, I would totally rock it (as a two-piece). No guts, no glory.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Whut he sez.

Only, that's some killer waist supression. Can you button it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads