1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. IsteRed

IsteRed Well-Known Member

Who makes this cufflinks?
    [​IMG]

2. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Thanks!

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

I think I read you need to be a member for 45 days before you can.

4. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Well-Known Member

Got a new shirt in the mail today. TM Lewin St. James collar. What do you all think of the fit? Fresh out of the box, I starched it after I tried it on.

[​IMG]

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

As a fellow skinny-necked fellow, I would suggest that dramatic spreads only draw more attention to an area guys like us might not want to emphasize.

6. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

A wise choice for a long thin neck is a tall collar band with rather long points? No?

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

A taller collar can be nice, but a lean fellow with a long lean face may not benefit from long points, if the effect is to emphasize the vertical element. So it depends on face shape and collar shape, in addition to neck length.

I like a moderate spread, myself.

8. Stone34

Stone34 Active Member

Thanks. I'm hardly Ermenegildo Zegna but I know this suit does NOT fit me at all. Everywhere is wrong. I'm NOT posting photos but suffice to say as soon as I tried it on I knew it didn't fit and NOT by a little. It was way off. So I went to a tailor with it afterwards and even the Tailor said unwearable and unfixable because everything is too tight and too short and not enough fabric to fix.

I'm NOT even mentioning who made the suit, but I'm just curious if anyone else had that same problem I had????
    I'm curious to know does the person / company who made the suit make you another one for FREE??
    Or would they expect me to pay full price for another one since this suit can NOT be fixed??

I'm waiting to hear from them but I was hoping to get some feedback so I could have realistic expectations???

Thanks

9. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

If it's that bad why did you walk out of the shop with it?

You might want to give a full run down. Type of shop. Type of purchase. Most of us are too lazy to check all the messages to see if you already have :embar:

10. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Well-Known Member

What are the advantages, if any, of low-cut armholes?

11. Stone34

Stone34 Active Member

Nicola,
    I am being a little vague because I do NOT want to name names. It was a Made to Measure suit. Measurements were taken and then it was mailed to me. So there was no shop so to speak. So I'm just wondering if anyone has been through that before where they did this and the suit didn't fit. If suit was too big you can salvage it and alter to it to fit. But when too small and tight there just is NOT enough fabric to make things bigger and longer.

I'm curious to know in such a situation... does the person / company who made the suit make you another one for FREE??
    Or would they expect me to pay full price for another one since this suit can NOT be fixed??

I'm waiting to hear from them but I was hoping to get some feedback so I could have realistic expectations???

Thanks

12. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

I think they're Duchamp.

13. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

You don't need to name names but it would help to fully understand exactly what happened.

Who measured you? The maker? Some third party? Self?

Is the suit made to the measurements?

If the maker took the measurements it's their suit and their problem. The less involved they were the less it's their problem.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  14. Ultraconvoy

Ultraconvoy New Member

Where can I find Paul smith Starr uk7 today????
    Ebay has nothing:(

15. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

The only one I can think of is that it is easier to get the jacket on.

1 person likes this.
  16. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

Right. If the OP or OP's friend, i.e., not the company, took the measurements than he's SOL.

17. Merovius

Merovius Active Member

18. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

I would guess that the stitching on the sole is concealed in channels. Ask. My experience with AS is with their shoes made for Brooks Brothers, and those are of excellent quality.

19. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Absolutely not glued. Nails in soles are mostly decorative. AS exclusive is supposed to have excellent quality all around and is on par if not better than C&J handgrade.

20. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Alfred Sargent Exclusive Collection is a very good quality shoe. I have a pair from recent production and they are not far from full on Northhampton Hand Grade quality. They certainly exceed a C&J benchgrade. No worries about quality

Goodyear welted, closed channel stitching is why you don't see any stitching in the sole.