• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I have ordered a bespoke shirt from Proper Cloth, and I'm willing to do a review of the whole experience, complete with high-quality photos and stuff.  Is there a thread for this already, or should I just start my own?

MTM? :eh:

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CD check the cologne thread for some suggestions.... it can be arduous b/c every scent will smell relatively different per the individual's unique body chemistry...plus you can really only "test drive" so many scents at once before you run out of real estate and your nose becomes fatigued. You may have to try a couple then let them settle in to see how it smells and hour or two after application. And consider you target audience. My father continually complains he doesn't like one of my favorite scents (Shadha from Abu Dhabi) and I always respond "good, because I'm not trying to pick up middle-aged white men!" I've not met a single woman who doesn't adore the fragrance... exactly!
nod[1].gif

I brought home a couple of samples from Saks, but niether of them have really clicked. I'd like to find a scent that is sexy, bold, and refined, but I'm not even certain if my own preferences should, well, take preference. After all, the cologne is for the benefit of other people (women, primarily), so I'm not sure if a fragrance that appeals to me would appeal to them.

+1 on the point about body chemistry.

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure what the correct term is. I measured myself across the chest, biceps, forearms, waist, hips, shoulders, etc. I then specified the exact measurement of each dimension of the actual shirt, so I assume the correct term is "bespoke." If I had submitted fewer measurements, and then simply specified that I wanted a "slim" shirt instead of specifying each measurement of the shirt, I believe that would be a MTM shirt.

Honestly, though, I don't really know. It's a MTM Bespoke shirt.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]Not sure what the correct term is. I measured myself across the chest, biceps, forearms, waist, hips, shoulders, etc. I then specified the exact measurement of each dimension of the actual shirt, so I assume the correct term is "bespoke." If I had submitted fewer measurements, and then simply specified that I wanted a "slim" shirt instead of specifying each measurement of the shirt, I believe that would be a MTM shirt.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]Honestly, though, I don't really know. It's a MTM Bespoke shirt.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

MTM = made to MEASURE. Meaning there are measurements involved, not just some vague thing like "slim".

Read and learn...

mdhen

Reaction score
Tino Cosma scarf
So I picked up this 100% cashmere scarf a couple days ago. I can't find any price points for their scarves on line, so I was wondering maybe any of you had any idea. I got it for $250 (less $100 for a groupon to the botique I bought it from). Also what do you guys think of this as a scarf to go along with my suit and charcoal grey overcoat?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]Not sure what the correct term is. I measured myself across the chest, biceps, forearms, waist, hips, shoulders, etc. I then specified the exact measurement of each dimension of the actual shirt, so I assume the correct term is "bespoke." If I had submitted fewer measurements, and then simply specified that I wanted a "slim" shirt instead of specifying each measurement of the shirt, I believe that would be a MTM shirt.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]Honestly, though, I don't really know. It's a MTM Bespoke shirt.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Bespoke = require multiple actual/physical fittings. So there is no such thing as "online bespoke".

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by WiseMenOfGotham View Post
Merry Christmas SF! (December 26 - January 4)
Men:
- All Cotton Dress Shirts (Cotton, Non-iron, Classic, Choose your Collar, Pinpoint, Polo button-down Supima Oxford), Non-iron Dress Shirts, Sport Shirts (except Country Club)- 3 for $159
- Luxury All Cotton Dress Shirts, Country Club Sport Shirts- 2 for $159
- All Ties- 40% off
- 1818 Suits, Suiting Separates, Blazers, Sport Coats- 30% off
- Dress Trousers- 30% off
- Casual Pants (cords, cotton)- 40% off
- Non-iron Advantage Chinos- 2 for $119
- Knits- 40% off
- Overcoats- 30% off
- Casual Outerwear- 40% off
- Boxers- Buy 3, 25% off; buy 6, 40% off
- Underwear- 25% off
- Nightwear (Pajamas, etc)- 25% off
- Cordovan Shoes- $50 off
- Peal & Co Shoes, Men’s Boots- 25% off
- Socks- 3 pairs, get 25% off; 6 pairs, get 40% off
- Bags, Leather goods, Accessories (including outerwear), Fragrances- 25% off
- Stationery- Buy one, get one free
- All Sweaters (Cashmere, Merino, etc)- 40% off
Boys/Girls- 40% off
Women:
- Shirts, Blouses, Suiting, Skirts, Pants, Dresses, Coats, Outerwear, Sweaters, Apparel, Handbags- 40% off
- Non-iron Miracle Shirt, Classic Essentials,- Up to 40% off
- Accessories, Cold Weather, Fragrances- 25% off
You might want to check this thread:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/243159/when-is-the-next-brooks-brothers-sale

Wow. Being Master Card's *****: priceless.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I brought home a couple of samples from Saks, but niether of them have really clicked.  I'd like to find a scent that is sexy, bold, and refined, but I'm not even certain if my own preferences should, well, take preference.  After all, the cologne is for the benefit of other people (women, primarily), so I'm not sure if a fragrance that appeals to me would appeal to them.

+1 on the point about body chemistry.

:lurk: hmmm...

Gorpomon

Reaction score
Been asked to death I'm sure, but I would appreciate anyone who can help so I don't have to wade through hundreds of posts.

1. Can you wear a pea coat over jacket/tie? Or do you need a topcoat over jacket/tie? Is it common to wear pea coat / top coat with shirt and tie, and skip the suit jacket?

2. What neckwear is the classic neckwear to go with a blazer (navy, gold buttons, pretty standard)

3. Should you wear a pocket square with a blazer?

Thanks!

Last edited:

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Can you wear a pea coat over jacket/tie?

A pea coat is a relatively casual coat, and ideally should be worn with casual clothing. I won't claim that you'll never see someone wear a pea coat over a sport coat and tie, or even a suit, but it's not really the right choice.

Is it common to wear pea coat / top coat with shirt and tie, and skip the suit jacket?
I can't say how common it is, although I'm sure some men do it. As the general, traditional rule is that an adult man should not go out in public wearing a shirt and tie without also wearing a sport coat/blazer/suit jacket, technically the answer to your question is no, you should not skip the jacket.

I suspect someone will tell you that it's perfectly fine to wear a shirt and tie, without a jacket. Well, it's perfectly fine in the sense that you won't go to jail for it, and people won't even point at you and laugh, but technically it's not how one is supposed to dress. If you want to follow such rules, do so. If you want to ignore them, do that. Your choice.

2. What neckwear is the classic neckwear to go with a blazer (navy, gold buttons, pretty standard)
I'm not quite sure I understand... The classic neckwear would typically be either a "regular" necktie (ie. the standard sort of tie one knots with a windsor or half-windsor or four-in-hand or whatever, and which then hangs down to somewhere around one's belt buckle), or a bow tie (which is much less common, and in some situations arguably ill advised, but still a perfectly fine choice for many social occasions).

The preferred color, pattern, even fabric, and so on, of the tie depends on too many factors to address in this post. These factors, but are not limited to, your shirt color, pants color, the season, where you are geographically, business vs. social, whether the blazer's double breasted, etc.

I suppose if you wanted to know what's the one tie that would most often be a safe (not necessarily best) choice, I'd recommend a silk necktie, repp, stripe, conservative colors, etc. But it's not like there aren't plenty of other excellent choices, so if the next guy prefers pin dots to stripes, or a solid Grenadine, or whatever, that's fine with me.

3. Should you wear a pocket square with a blazer?
I usually do.

Since a blazer is less formal than a suit, I tend to go with a less formal pocket square. For example, while I might wear a white linen pocket square in a precise tv fold with a charcoal pinstripe business suit, with a blazer I'm much more likely to casually stuff some colorful, perhaps patterned, silk square into my pocket.
--
Michael

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was the name of that thread in which old JL bespoke three-eyelet derbys were beautifully and awesomely restored?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads