1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

I am going to be attending a Chinese day wedding at the beginning of June and bought a chino suit from Brooks Brothers last week.

I think I am going to plan on wearing a white shirt (barrel cuffs, pointed collar), but haven't decided yet on footwear or tie.

One of these is the suit, don't remember what color it is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I recall correctly it is the lighter, so probably the latter one. Does anyone have recommendations for ties or shoes? I was thinking either a navy silk knit or raw silk tie and possibly my AE MacNeils , but they may be a bit to casual.

[​IMG]
    I also have a green silk tie with white dots that I could consider wearing.

Alternatively, I could consider a cotton bow tie (think I have a blue/white gingham) with a white OCBD.

Thanks for any opinions in advance.

2. Ashlandleather

Ashlandleather Member

Depends on the Alden last mostly -- the Trubalance last (indy boots) fit 1/2 size larger.

3. viator

viator Well-Known Member

Bump.

I found these online at Macy's. Obviously not the highest quality, but I am not looking to spend a fortune on this type of item. Is there anything better out there in the sub-$100 price range?

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

You're going to have to look really hard to find linen pants under $100. Linen is expensive. I think my girlfriend got a pair of pleated linen pants from American Apparel. See if you can squeeze in them.

5. Henkie

Henkie Active Member

6. viator

viator Well-Known Member

I thank you for the kind offer, but I will have to pass. :blush:

7. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Why do you want him to get into your girlfriend's pants? [​IMG]

8. mekato1

mekato1 Well-Known Member

deets on shoes? TIA

[​IMG]

9. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

I'm not particularly interested in the shoes, but I do like the socks.

10. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Well-Known Member

Is there any brands that make suits/blazers in 34S? I am a pretty small person, and cant find anything that fits me right.

11. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

12. dgonsh

dgonsh Well-Known Member

I have a beautiful Dark Navy micro herringbone brooks brother fitzgerald suit I just got off the forum brand new unfinished. Im having it altered this week. I purchased it as I will be attending a wedding next month and didnt have a suit that fit well.

I have my shirt (a white golden fleece spread collar french cuff), my cufflinks, my pocket square (white linen), but I just can't figure out what tie to wear. I have a brown (almost grey) Drakes tie (its brown and gray dots but looks like solid brown) but I dont know if a dark brown tie goes with a navy suit. I have a red Brooks Brother Makers Repp solid tie thats really nice but I feel it comes off too "political" for a wedding.

I'd love to go a little monochrome and wear a navy tie, maybe a navy with white pindots tie. But Im afraid it'll come off too matchy.

Any tips? Id like to stay within the solid/stripes/pindot realm of ties and away from patterns or paisleys.

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Wear something more cheerful. Dark and sober suit, plain white shirt, and conservative tie would be more suited to a funeral than a wedding. Wear a pink gingham shirt and that brown tie (which does go with the suit- just about anything goes with navy, and brown and navy generally pair well), or the proposed navy one. Or something. It's a happy occasion, have at least one happy element in your attire. You could also try a more interesting tie; a louder stripe could be fun. Navy, green and orange or the like. Or a loud paisley. Or a striped knit.

14. dgonsh

dgonsh Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  15. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    how/when/where do you wear a satin tie?

16. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

I like this one best. Yeah, that's the idea.

With a shirt like that one. Plain satin ties are usually too boring for me, but a solid tie, or something close to it, can really anchor a shirt with a bolder pattern.

dgonsh, no comment on your tie since the photo being so far off makes it difficult to tell. Plain navy would certainly work as a fallback if you're uncertain about the tie.

17. dgonsh

dgonsh Well-Known Member

You think lavender check can go well with a navy suit? the suit is almost solid navy but there is a subtle ultrafine herringbone. i dont want to be too printy...

would i be best to go with something like this for a tie: http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-garza-fina-solid-ties/navy-grenadine-fina-silk-tie-11.html
    [​IMG]

18. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Well-Known Member

Why do you never see a man wear dots like this girl on Guido's tumblr?
    [​IMG]

19. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

It's a girl's pattern.

20. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

i disagree.