• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cardguy

Reaction score

So if I "had" to get a suit from Macy's could someone please rank the top 2 or 3 brands they carry. Thanks

For a slimmer fit, the Calvin Klein Body, Alfani Red, and Tommy Hilfiger lines are okay. They're 100% wool, can be had at a cheap price, and are reasonably slim fitting. The shoulders are probably a little more built up than the normal preferred SF aesthetic, but if you buy your size and take it to a competent alterations tailor, you can likely have a decent looking suit for under $400 total if you buy during a Macy's sale.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

is there some sort of higher-end wrangler out there? I see some European friends wearing some that appear to be of nicer quality (in terms of wash, etc.) but not here.

The good ones can be found (probably- not really a place I frequent) at western wear stores, or online. Wrangler sells them, I bought mine from Drysdales (western wear outlet) The pair I have (slim cowboy cut) have nice heavy denim and are well constructed, with rivets everywhere. But be warned- in authentically western fashion, they come with creases.

bigbish

Reaction score
What kind of pants ,other than jeans, would go well with a brown corduroy sport jacket?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks nice to me. That kind of jacket can just skate right on by while fashions change and change back around it. Sold though, hopefully to you if you were planning on wearing it.
What kind of pants ,other than jeans, would go well with a brown corduroy sport jacket?
Flannel, tweed, any other wool with texture, khakis.

jjahshiekk

Reaction score
Hey, quick question about dress shirt fitting.

I'm in need to some quality dress shirts and I was pointed towards Charles Tyrwhitt for their 4 for 100GBP sale. Turns out to be 4 for ~$160 with free shipping to US.

I'm 5'11 165lbs. My shirt size I usually get are 15.5 -35, and for reference, Banana Republic Slim-Fit Mediums fit perfectly on me.

What type of Charles Tyrwhitt shirts would fit well with my size?? Slim fit or Tailored fit?? Thanks.

Pawz

Reaction score
A. Given that it has pocket flaps and is only two-button, I'd say it's stand-alone. Best bet is to ask the seller.

Q. How does SF feel about Valentino clothing (i.e., what is the general consensus)?

Thanx!

GHo

Reaction score

Hey, quick question about dress shirt fitting.I'm in need to some quality dress shirts and I was pointed towards Charles Tyrwhitt for their 4 for 100GBP sale. Turns out to be 4 for ~$160 with free shipping to US.

I'm 5'11 165lbs. My shirt size I usually get are 15.5 -35, and for reference, Banana Republic Slim-Fit Mediums fit perfectly on me.

What type of Charles Tyrwhitt shirts would fit well with my size?? Slim fit or Tailored fit?? Thanks.
I've had both tailed and slim CT shirts, and didn't see that much difference. My shirts seemed to be all over the board in fit, so it's tough to say.

likeaboss

Reaction score
Gearing up for a cold winter here in Canada and came across this jacket ($250) from Gsus International. Don't know much about them other than what I found on their website.

Thoughts on this coat for a warm casual jacket this winter? I tried it on in the dark blue and liked it. Personally don't think the picture here does it justice.

[URL=http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/832522/width/350/height/350] [/url]

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on a leather jacket worn over a blazer (with some jeans and a tee or shirt)? Has anyone ever tried rocking the look?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads