1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. josh1492

josh1492 Member

gonna throuw out a comment instead of a question...finally got a pair of jeans to fit me right. had my grandmaw tailor them for me haha. gotta love grandmaw's

2. josh1492

josh1492 Member

i really like plaid sports jackets...but the colors have to be right. i am not a fan of yellow on clothing haha...and not a fan of red and blue together either...unless its blue jeans and a red shirt.

3. bullswin

bullswin Well-Known Member

I should probably already know the answer to this, but don't...

If I'm buying a sport coat with working buttonholes -- and the sleeves are about 0.75 inches too long, is that something my tailor can alter (i.e., shorten the sleeves), or is it a definite no go?

Thanks!

4. zerostyle

zerostyle Well-Known Member

Anyone know how Allen Edmonds loafers fit?

I fit a 9D in the Strand pretty well. Would I also be a 9D in the Kenwood?

It apparently uses the "Handsewn 800 last"

5. Yorsch

Yorsch Well-Known Member

Can someone please tell me what are these things going through buttonholes?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks cool, but can't figure out what it is.
    Thank you

6. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Tether for glasses. I can't remember what they're actually called.

7. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

8. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

A competent tailor can do the alteration

9. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

In my experience, eyeglass tethers look much cooler in those photos than they do in real life. (Not that I've seen them all that often in real life, but on those few occasions when I have seen them, they've been "meh," at best.)
    --
    Michael

10. HSThaberdasher

HSThaberdasher New Member

What are your thoughts on pairing seersucker with gingham? Is that too much going on?

11. Jeff Costello

Jeff Costello Well-Known Member

Thanks. Are chelsea boots considered acceptable to wear with a suit? Since it seems to suit my low-budget situation, I'm thinking that they could make for decent minimalist boots to wear with dress and casual clothes.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  12. CDHagg

CDHagg Well-Known Member

@bullswin

A jacket sleeve with functioning button cuffs usually has to be shortened by detaching the sleeve from the Scye (arm hole) and removing fabric. This is expensive - my tailor charges $120 for the alteration.

13. Peter1

Peter1 Well-Known Member

Shirt collar question: I usually wear BB button downs with sport coats with "traditional" lapels - not too wide, not too narrow. In other words, something that anyone can pull off...

As an experiment to see if I like a narrower look, I bought a J.Crew Ludlow jacket with narrow lapels, (2.5 inches) and a narrow tie, but of course my BB button down collars are too large (they look a little like mushrooms around my neck...). What is the best collar to wear with narrow lapels? spread? forward point? button-down, but with a lower collar?

I'm fine with BB shirting, but is there a particular brand of shirts (around $100 or under) that work particularly well with narrower lapels?

I think I like the narrower look but don't want to spend a fortune finding out.

Thanks!

14. bullswin

bullswin Well-Known Member

hmm... If it's just shortening it by 0.5 or 0.75 inches, is this the case? I've had another jacket (but with fake sewn buttonholes, instead of functioning) where the tailor made a similar size adjustment -- but he shortened it from the end of the sleeve. In that case, the end result was the buttons are just a little closer to the end of the sleeve, but it looks totally fine.

Just wasn't sure if it'd be the same tailoring operation in this case (working buttonholes)...

15. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Well-Known Member

WHITE COTTON SHIRTS GONE YELLOW

Have numerous high end white business shirts that are slowly turning a light yellow colour. They are all beautiful cotton and with a lot of life left, just noticing a very slight discolouration.

Any suggestions for returning them to white white.

Thanks

16. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

From Wiki: Bluing, laundry blue, or washing blue is a household product used to improve the appearance of textiles, especially white fabrics. Used during laundering, it adds a trace of blue dye (often synthetic ultramarine, sometimes Prussian blue) to the fabric.

Also good for wasp stings.

17. breidmiller

breidmiller New Member

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

19. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

I'm sure he could do a lot worse for the price. The style at least is pretty inoffensive, even if the quality is poor.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  20. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Well-Known Member