1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Well-Known Member

Nice idea. I like it.

2. Slickman

Slickman Well-Known Member

I want to upgrade my black suit to a proper tux for black tie parties, but can't justify the expense of a bespoke one at this time so was thinking to get a mtm one from TaT, any other suggestions in the sub 1k range? I prefer a shawl db but understand that isnt going to happen at this price point, so I will just go with a classic sb shawl.

3. althanis

althanis Well-Known Member

Ask in the Epaulet thread, they'll know.

4. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

Jeez. You can wear it either way (as long as you're wearing a cummerbund or waistcoat... if not, leave it buttoned).

5. jian

jian New Member

6. godel

godel New Member

Can you please let me know how this shirt fits me? Thanks.

[​IMG]

7. Kensington

Kensington Well-Known Member

Does anyone know any brands, preferably Hanes level, where I can get a t shirt with a deep crew neck? I don't like v necks and I feel like this would be the best option for an undershirt after reading about this style in "Gentlemen".

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  8. althanis

What I usually do is look at their Trader Feedback, post count and join date. Chance are the person's been around for over a year, has sold a few items and has a few posts to his name, I feel comfortable.

Edit: Also if you feel uncomfortable, in the Paypal transaction pay the extra 4% as insurance. If you send as a purchase and pay the 4%, you have buyer protection. If you send as gift you don't.

I don't know where you can get a "deep crew neck" tshirt from sorry; I don't even recall seeing any before. I'm curious as to why you hate v-necks so much, I personally find them to be pretty awesome to wear as an undershirt.

9. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

Good barracuda style coat, preferably in a more or less natural fabric and not too pricey?

Those that know me: could I pull one off or am I just kidding myself?

10. althanis

I got a custom shirt made from an online MTM company. Can someone explain what measurements I need adjusted to fix this pulling here when my arms are relaxed? Or is it normal? Looking at the photo it looks like the shoulders could be taken in half an inch?

[​IMG]

11. hpreston

hpreston Well-Known Member

Whats wrong with a genuine Barracuta? Either the classic G9, or if you can find one, a G4.

And, yes, I think you can pull it off.

12. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

chiefly that I thought the brand was defunct, in all likelihood because I'd spelled it wrong, thank you :)

13. CDHagg

CDHagg Well-Known Member

14. Kensington

Kensington Well-Known Member

I feel like V-necks have a certain vibe I don't want to give off about myself. I guess in certain areas I like to be very traditional. This SNL skit kind of reenforced the feelings I had about it:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/287085/saturday-night-live-digital-short-v-necks

Also, here is a pic of the section on undergarments from the book "Gentlemen" in case anyone is curious.

[​IMG]

15. Peter1

Peter1 Well-Known Member

Mastai Ferretti: yay or nay?

I almost bought a tattersall off B&S but the sleeves on a 15.5 measured out at 26.5" -- too long for me, and I wear a 15 or 15.5 x 34 in Brooks Brothers slim fit.(sleeves are about 25.5" from shoulder seam to end of cuff.)

But I really liked the shirt and seems like it would be a nice alternative in perhaps more of a European style. However, I haven't seen any feedback on the brand. So...any good? And do they size by sleeve or just neck?

Thanks for any help.

Peter

16. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

can always tailor the sleeves shorter

17. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

assuming you want it as an under-layer that will not show around the neck ya? I have many cheap t-shirts like this... bought them all in Asia... Taiwan and Hong Kong specifically. Internet search in that direction and you should find something.

18. Doughnuts

Doughnuts Member

Brioni Trousers are on eHabedasher for $195.

I know nothing about the company and so I ask: what fit are their trousers?

19. conceited

conceited Member

Hello, I'm new here as you can see, and have a few questions:

What determines a pants' fly length (or the length of the crotch area)?

I ordered some working pants that fit my waist and legs (a tight fit, how I like it), but the inseam is an inch or two too short. More importantly, the crotch area is too tight *lengthwise* and doesn't fit my tadger.

So what I would like to know is:

If I buy the same pants but with a longer inseam, will the length of the crotch area on those pants be extended (even just a little)?

And for future reference, does the waist size affect that length?

Thanks for your time, whoever answers.

If I'm being too formal, posting the wrong place, or doing something wrong or that you don't like, please let me know. Thanks again.

20. tmckendry

tmckendry Member

Update: I just finished my shopping spree in China. I got what my friend and I believe are medium quality fabrics and tailoring from the Fabric market in Shanghai. I am a cheap ass and bargained extremely hard. Played stalls off each other and low-balled/walked away if I didn't think I was getting a great deal. Took a couple hours of shopping and negotiating. It was worth it, I have a strong sense of accomplishment now.

($1USD=6.25RMB)
    Leather shoes (good brand name in China): $60
    2 tailored dress pants, fairly thin (95% wool): $41.60
    5 tailored dress shirts (no fancy designs or pockets): $83.20
    1 tailored full suit: $107.20
    1 leather bag(poor quality): $23 (starting price was $69.. lol)
    1 double sided leather belt: $20
    1 custom-tailored jeans: $24

Total cost came in at $359 + 1 day of researching/shopping/negotiating.

I'll need to purchase some black socks, underwear, and a couple ties. I should come in right at my $400 budget. <3 China