• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try 12+. Or 3+. Or 0+

Seriously, argyle socks are classic for all ages. Just because you associate them with your hated uncle doesn't mean they have to be out of bounds for the rest of us.

:) Okay: 0-10 and 50+. But for the rest of you: wear whatever you want, by all means.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been a member here for a while. Used to only really visit the streetwear section but stopped visiting the site for a few months until now. I am now browsing the men's clothing section more and I recall in streetwear there was a lot of hate for the men's clothing section. I'm guessing there are difference of opinions regarding style. What are these differences? Just wondering, thought I'd ask here because quite frankly I found most people to be douches in the streetwear section when answering questions.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey everyone, I've been a member here for a while. Used to only really visit the streetwear section but stopped visiting the site for a few months until now. I am now browsing the men's clothing section more and I recall in streetwear there was a lot of hate for the men's clothing section. I'm guessing there are difference of opinions regarding style. What are these differences? Just wondering, thought I'd ask here because quite frankly I found most people to be douches in the streetwear section when answering questions.

I think you'll find we are more sophisticated douches here :bigstar: I have never thought of visiting the streetwear section really, i figure most people are over saturated with information on streetwear style in modern society. For me, this forum served to elevate my new found love for sartorial style. I suppose it is 2 different worlds, i can't imagine what things are obsessed about over there, since clearly we obsess about plenty over hear. Especially shoes... :bounce2:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to avoid chinos like the plague, but I just got two pair from a friend. Both are too long for me by about 2". One of them has a top stitched hem. I probably need them hemmed exactly to where the stitching is right now. Is that going to cause a problem? The other has a blind stitched plain hem. Is it appropriate to do a cuff hem on chinos? I haven't noticed it too much around here.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

I used to avoid chinos like the plague, but I just got two pair from a friend. Both are too long for me by about 2". One of them has a top stitched hem. I probably need them hemmed exactly to where the stitching is right now. Is that going to cause a problem? The other has a blind stitched plain hem. Is it appropriate to do a cuff hem on chinos? I haven't noticed it too much around here.

With regards to the cuff hem, I don't know of any rules with chinos, but it kind of breaks a main purpose of the cuff,which is to add a little extra weight to lighter wool pants and enable the legs to fall a little better. Personally, I would avoid the cuff on chinos.

lektrix

Reaction score
I'm killing myself for not buying a pair of shoes in Barcelona this past Spring.

What's a good store in Toronto for nice, trendy, relatively inexpensive, genuine leather dress shoes?

I am in my early mid 20s. Budget of $100-$150.

diniro

Reaction score

I'm killing myself for not buying a pair of shoes in Barcelona this past Spring.

What's a good store in Toronto for nice, trendy, relatively inexpensive, genuine leather dress shoes?

I am in my early mid 20s. Budget of $100-$150.

Don't buy trendy. Scour ebay for used Allen Edmonds or Aldens if that's your budget. I copped a nice AE burgundy wingtip recently for $20 on ebay. Still in good condition. Also check SF marketplace.

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

have you ever thought that maybe your questions are too dumb ie. can be answered if you look hard enough?

good luck browsing MC with your clarks db budget..

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't buy trendy. Scour ebay for used Allen Edmonds or Aldens if that's your budget. I copped a nice AE burgundy wingtip recently for $20 on ebay. Still in good condition. Also check SF marketplace.

+1. I love AE restoration program. You can basically get a solid shoe for around $150.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

+1. I love AE restoration program. You can basically get a solid shoe for around $150.

You know - I thought about this as well. It seems like new AE's are floating around for around $225-$250. These are already such a good value. Why bother finding a used shoe and having it restored (assuming it's in restoration condition), when you can do your own wearing on the shoe without the wait for just a few bucks more. These are staple shoes anyways so it's not like you won't get your use out of them.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I agree dude, and that's what I would do, but for someone who's budget is around the $150 range like Lektrix (bless his heart), the restoration program would be their ideal way of getting a good shoe at a reasonable price.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do other shoe makers offer restoration for about the same price as AE?
if so, buying a used AE + restoration might not make sense...
but buying higher end shoes + restoration does?

shoes are something i try to buy new since i don't like the idea of someone with sweaty nasty feet having worn the shoes for months.. maybe even years

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Alden offers restoration as well.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: What is a good source for inexpensive decent quality long, full size umbrellas. I like to keep a couple in by the door in the umbrella rack for quick trips out, to offer to guests if it's raining, for the kids to use, etc. Something that will hold up, but I won't be devastated if it gets lost. They should be black or tan or a subtle plaid (black watch good). No logos or loud patterns. I have used Land's End in the past, but was not really happy with the quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads