1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Tailor Dan

Tailor Dan Well-Known Member

Bit too much of an open question as individuality will make the style so not many definates.

2 button is safer then 3 or double breasted. Trim or wide lapels are trendy but normal width will make it look like a suit jacket. Tweeds help give a real traditional twist but be careful with not picking an old man brown if you're not young enough to pull it off as it will age you.

Also casual jackets are normally a tad shorter then suit jackets to split you in half better. Only by 1/2" unless trendy shop then may be more.

Features like patch pockets on lower and upper outside pockets can give the casual touch too.

Hope helps.

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Maybe we should begin with your wide use of the term "blazer". A blazer is a type of stand alone jacket of military origin, usually navy with metal buttons. A sports coat is an odd jacket, usually with texture or patterns. A suit should not be confused as either a blazer or sports coat.

Now, which are you referring to in your post?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  3. myfriendgoo

myfriendgoo Member

[​IMG]
    I'd love to be able to wear this Alexander McQueen tie in the office but can't think of a shirt to wear with it that wont leave me (a redhead) completely washed out looking. There's no way I can get away with wearing this in work is there?

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

What is more versatile for a suit - mid-grey or dark grey?

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Yes.

Charcoal is more formal, but there are very, very few contexts where that's gonna make a difference. Mid gray is fine for just about anything, interviews included. Maybe some of the more stuck up finance firms in NYC might have a problem if you interviewed in one, but outside of that, it's not an issue. I would also want to wear something darker to a funeral- charcoal, navy or black. But outside of that, either color should do ya.

You're gonna be a 36S, and I would stick with charcoal or navy. More versatile than black in other contexts. You wouldn't want to wear black to a wedding, for example. Many here will tell you it shouldn't be worn for business either. I think that's a whole lot of crap, as long as it's not awful for your complexion (if you're low contrast- fair skinned and blonde, for example, you'll look really bad in one). But still, not what I would recommend for a first suit.

6. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

Thanks, man. I already have a navy, black and a mid-grey pinstripe. I think mid-grey it is then!

7. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

cleaning up in the basement I found an Austin Reed suit that must be 30 years old and fits so suspiciously well it almost looks like I had it tailored.

Austin reed any good? I kind of like it...

8. yjeezle

yjeezle Well-Known Member

i would say you might be even smaller than a 36s depending on how you want to suit to fit... regardless you're going to need to do some alterations.
    you can get really nice suits for < $800 easily if you're willing to go off brand (it doesn't matter what brand, just how it looks)
    also, any reason why you're not getting a tux for prom? it'd be weird if you were the only guy not wearing a tux if it's that kind of occasion.

my personal advice: try not to shop online until you know your measurements or how it'll fit. you have wiggle room with your casuals but i think something that requires a significant investment like suits or whatnot require you to try them on.

9. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Well-Known Member

I'm looking to buy a pair of quality balmoral/oxford shoes in a dark blue calf. Does anyone know of any RTW options out there? I haven't seen much, and lack the patience for MTO.

10. wizards11

wizards11 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

where to get custom initial cufflinks like this? thanks

11. rohde88

rohde88 Well-Known Member

You can buy blank links and any jeweler or arts/crafts store will be able to engrave it.

12. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Well-Known Member

Wait... it fits, you like it, and you already own it. And you need the Internet's opinion before wearing it?

13. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

needs SOME work. Wondering whether its worth it as I already have another glen plaid suit... I really don't feel I can justify owning two nearly indistinguishable suits, and I'm trying to figure out which to axe.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Be like me when I was in college. I had an entire closet full of black suits.

15. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

pB, I can't wear black. I look enough like a gay vampire cop in my "normal" clothes. I'm too pale, too skinny, and too stuck up to wear a black suit without looking like an anorectic Secret Service agent.

16. patrickBOOTH

I never would recommend anybody wear black. I knew nothing then. I am just saying, that my wardrobe had slightly less variability than my current. :laugh:

17. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

OOH meant to tell you. I bought a tie. Its actually nice. You'd wear it, if it wasn't brown.

18. patrickBOOTH

:plain: I'm not amused, funny guy!

19. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

Daniel Cremieux or however the f you spell his last name. Grenadine. Chocoalte brown. I thought you only wore city colors?