1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Sharkb8

Sharkb8 Member

This may just be my own opinion or experience, but investment banker attire is most definitely not equivalent to attorney attire (sorry for the alliteration, I couldn't help myself). Attorneys on the whole tend to be more conservative, or even perhaps the most conservative, dressers as a profession. I would not transpose the advice about attorney ... garb onto the banker profession; they're apples and oranges (or maybe tangelos and navels?). Just my two cents.

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Sorry, but if he can afford the AEs at least I'm not going to give him permission to wear Cole Haans. If he's destitute then he's gotta wear whatever he's gotta wear, but that was the point of my post.

I would also be surprised if a firm that is prejudiced against well dressed applicants could tell the difference on sight between AEs and Cole Haans.

1 person likes this.
  3. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

please digress some more
    i want to hear your theories

4. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

I get AE's second hand in rough-but-fixable shape (fucked up soles, minor scratches, people who don't know how polish works) for dirt cheap on the bay or at second hand stores, and get my cobbler to fix them up better than new for 15-20 bucks. The most I ever paid for a pair is a pair of brogued monkstraps I think I paid about 60 for, with shipping.

Not that I'm endorsing the florsheims, I'm just pointing out that a lot of us are thrifters by necessity, and any nice things we own were thrown away by someone more affluent.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    2 people like this.
  5. Citan1145

Citan1145 Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me any information about the Polo Ralph Lauren sport coat cut Russell Pa, thats what the interior tag calls it ? Appears to be mainline by Corneliani, center vent, 3/8s lined. Any information on fit, shoulders etc? Very nice on ebay but the seller doesn't seem to know jack about clothing. Thanks in advance for anyones help!

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Member Superfluous might know.

1 person likes this.
  7. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

Mate of mine is starting his own company, and wants a versatile suit for meeting with clients. He's not remotely stylish or fashionably inclined. I told him a 3 roll 2 navy hopsack was his best bet for a nigh-on-universally appropriate suit (he's as likely to be on a construction site overseeing things as he is to be meeting with clients in a boardroom). He's very CBD when it comes to clothing.

so

A) Was my suggestion warranted?

B) He's an odd shape (a bit short and built like an ox) so I'm thinking MTM is the best route. For online MTM, with a budget of 6-800USD, whats his best option for a hard wearing, simple, hopsack suit?

Thanks for fielding this one, gents.

Liam

8. patrickBOOTH

Why are you suggesting hopsack? I would just suggest getting a navy Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suit on sale.

9. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

Send him to Nick Hilton on Witherspoon. He'll get him squared away.

10. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

Hopsack is about as boring CBD as you can get, I thought. This is a guy who thinks black pepper is adventurous.

How much does the fitzgerald usually run?

Also, thank you for taking time out of your work day to respond so quickly ;)

Myself and everyone I know who has had dealings with him (other than yourself, apparently) had nothing good to say about the man.

11. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

With the clothes or with Nick?

12. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  13. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

ya me too.... :lurk:

14. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

A bit of both. I work in sales, so I understand that you have to upsell to make money, but he doesn't seem to get the concept of boiling the pot slowly. I came in telling him that I needed a standard cuff, white cotton dress shirt for a job interview the next day for under 150, that I had no additional money as I'm a broke college student, and that I like shopping locally so I'd be back for more stuff if I liked it. He tried to sell me a french cuff, MTM 250$ shirt (that could be had anywhere else, not even online, for maybe 175) that had a two week turnaround time. When I repeated what I needed (and I'm much more polite in real life than on here) he basically said "suit yourself" and wandered off. Everyone else I know had similar experiences, they either bought what he recommended at an obscene markup (he doesn't do his own work, but charges bespoke prices) or he just ignored them until they left after they didn't.

thank you! sent him a link!

15. about11oclock

about11oclock Well-Known Member

Hi, sorry for newb-posting this in its own thread. Im a refugee from SWD. Thanks for any help: A buddy who knows of my interest in Men's clothing passed this suit on to me to sell, but other than knowing that its brooks brothers, and in mint condition, im not sure of the model. The fabric seems to me to be high quality, and as you can see from pics of the tags, its union made in the USA. I've browsed BB website and cannot match it. It's a two button single breasted navy suit with wide charcoal stripes. If anyone can help I would be most appreciative!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  16. patrickBOOTH

It is probably a Martin Greenfield made BB suit.

17. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

That was not my experience at all. I went in looking to get an interview suit and left with a 1/2 canvas MTM Copley for $750 and two MTM white pinpoint shirts for $125 a piece. He isn't the most polite guy in the world but that doesn't bother me because neither am I.

18. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Well-Known Member

Just got a pair of Bill's Khakis corduroys that need to be hemmed...question...straight hem or have "cuffed hem"?...I am leaning towards a straight hem, but wanted to float the question out there....thanks.

19. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

I'm curious about this too. I just got a pair of Bill's cords from the Clad sale and haven't been to the tailor yet. SF-approved 2" cuff or straight? Not sure of the protocol for cords.
    Fred

20. Liam O

Liam O Well-Known Member

Strange. Glad you made out okay though. I really wish I could have done okay over there, but it just did not work out. I'd really prefer to be getting my stuff from a local guy, even at a slight premium.