1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Disaster waiting to happen. Though it's almost impossible to do with 100% certainty online, it should always be remembered to rank the following factors in order when purchasing a jacket: the shoulders, the length, the sleeve length (only if functioning buttons), the collar stance. That's just the beginning guide, but most everything on a jacket can be easily tailored (or at least inexpensively so) other than those things.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

+1 with Gdot. Also, almost all of RLPL's offerings instruct you to have them dry cleaned. This is due to the high quality of the fabrics used in most of the garments. You wouldn't want to spend $500 on pants only to have the delicate material shrivel on a line.

3. Abstraktmind

Abstraktmind Well-Known Member

Ebay it is.. :-(

4. viator

viator Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess I figured that linen pants could be treated just like cotton pants, but it seems I figured wrong.

5. RicPac

RicPac Well-Known Member

where can i get nice leather watch straps?? my father left me a movado but it has a woven strap and i would like to change it.

6. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Well-Known Member

If you order something in store at BB, do they charge shipping? I'm hoping they're like Nordstrom, and they don't...:slayer:

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Jewelers that sell nice watches usually sell them.

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. There's no difference between the two other than the fabrics and patterns used. If you find that it's impossible to determine, then it's more than fine to wear it as a sportcoat. There are a few things that are pretty much certain tells in either direction, but that jacket has none of them, so it could be either.

9. tim_horton

tim_horton Well-Known Member

What is the definition of a "silk neat" tie? I see this term floating around but never knew what it meant, other than that the tie looks nifty. :D And the term is too vague for Google.

10. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Silk knit?

11. tim_horton

No, silk NEAT. Ed is using the term in the latest Panta thread.

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Well is it? A neat tie?

13. tim_horton

You are dead to me.

14. Filipe

Filipe Well-Known Member

I'm looking around for my first pair of wingtips. I live in Portugal so Allen Edmonds shoes are out of the picture. What european brands/models should I choose in the 200€ range?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  15. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Okay. I have no idea.

16. antikantian

antikantian Well-Known Member

Is anyone willing to help me price these shoes for B&S? They are Aberdeen lasted Alden's in cordovan. I haven't worn this pair since 2002, so I think it's time they go to someone who might actually wear them. The Aberdeen last just doesn't look right on my foot. How do they look in terms of condition? This is my only pair of shoes in cordovan - they have a few tiny little raised dots or bubbles near the toe crease - is this normal? They are indeed quite small, and only noticeable upon very close inspection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I'll give you $20 for them. Cold hard cash! :smarmy:

18. eobet

eobet Member

I know that nice suit jackets have canvas under their lining, but this strange thing which I just got seems to have the lining hanging out... it's a name designer jacket, but surely this can't be done on purpose?

Is it like this because they want you to alter it before wearing it for the first time?

Going to take it to a tailor tomorrow, but unfortunately I'm stuck in the middle of southern Sweden right now, and I'm afraid the tailors around here aren't exactly Savile Row... (though this might be a silly assumption, I'm fairly sure there doesn't exist a jacket in this price range in this town and never has).

Please excuse the shoddy picture quality:

[​IMG]

19. NaTionS

NaTionS Well-Known Member

Where would be the best and cheapest place to buy a plain white pocket square?

20. zerostyle

zerostyle Well-Known Member

Dumb question:

I have a linen shirt that fits me like a blouse.

Is it worth having a linen shirt taken in at the waist/chest a bit, or linen not really a good fabric to bother doing this?