• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Opinions on these CJs? Do they look blobby?
Nope. Lovely, classic derby style. That color's going to be perfect for spring/summer.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipersSon
Question on Lobb shoes. There are apparently two Lobb s out there, quoting from link at bottom of this post:

So which Lobb shoes are regarded as teh **** on this forum? The Hermes version or the ones made by the family-owned shoes shop?

Or both?

Linky

Both are considered excellent in this forum, but you'll see John Lobb Paris (the one own by Hermes) much more often since they have a RTW division. While John Lobb St. James in London is a bespoke-only shop.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another question - I now understand the concept of brands that size small or large.

With those caveats in mind what are the general rules for sizing fit on sweaters? I'm a 44 R in suits. does that mean I size down one (42) for sweaters?

Trying to see if I should buy a couple Adriano and Sons sweaters from Yoox.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
What site do most people use here to host their personal pictures for the WAYWRN and other threads? I haven't done that in the past but would like to start posting...thanks.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hannerhan
What site do most people use here to host their personal pictures for the WAYWRN and other threads? I haven't done that in the past but would like to start posting...thanks.

Photobucket.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Nope. Lovely, classic derby style. That color's going to be perfect for spring/summer.

Maybe it's the side view that looks blobby to me. The high vamp?

shei.jpg

juliank

Reaction score
Is there a reason why you don't just buy Ferragamo? Their shoes are excellent.

Actually, I want Ferragamo chelseas (Nigel or Flavio) but they are 800 plus. Out of my price point unfortunately. I am willing to buy some used in good condition and have been checking the bay every day now for the last month but none have come up in my size 7.5 or 8 US. I went and tried on some RM Williams due to the recs of this board and they were not sleek enough imo; am open to some C&J or JM Weston's but again price is too high or no used ones in my size have come up on the bay. That's why I was hoping someone from the board could recommend something in a similar vein to the Ferragamos new but between 300-500 dollars.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

shei.jpg

Shoes generally don't like wide angle lenses. These certainly don't.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

shei.jpg

Yep, it does look blobby. However, as NOBD said, it maybe because of the camera position. Stand far away from the object, zoom in, then take a picture, that will be more accurate proportionally.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Yep, it does look blobby. However, as NOBD said, it maybe because of the camera position. Stand far away from the object, zoom in, then take a picture, that will be more accurate proportionally.
Even if it is a blobby shoe, it looks right. It's a suede derby with a rubber sole, I'm not sure I'd want it to be too sleek. I have some black shell Alden plain-toe oxfords that are blobby as hell, and I wouldn't have them any other way!
bigstar[1].gif

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if it is a blobby shoe, it looks right. It's a suede derby with a rubber sole, I'm not sure I'd want it to be too sleek.

I have some black shell Alden plain-toe oxfords that are blobby as hell, and I wouldn't have them any other way!
bigstar[1].gif

Oh of course, blobby doesn't mean "not looking good".

nakame

Reaction score
I just got a vintage knit tie, and the overall length is really short, if tied to a normal length the short end only comes to a few inches long from the knot. Is this a certain style, or reason for this?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nakame
I just got a vintage knit tie, and the overall length is really short, if tied to a normal length the short end only comes to a few inches long from the knot. Is this a certain style, or reason for this?
The knit ties I've seen tend to be shorter in the first place. Also, vintage ties are shorter as a whole due to several factors- one, people weren't such fatasses. You didn't need the extra length to fit around a 19" neck and drape over a spare tire. Second, the rise on trousers was higher, so you needed less tie to come to the right length right at the waistband.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipersSon
Question on Lobb shoes. There are apparently two Lobb s out there, quoting from link at bottom of this post:

So which Lobb shoes are regarded as teh **** on this forum? The Hermes version or the ones made by the family-owned shoes shop?

Or both?

Linky

Originally Posted by onix
Both are considered excellent in this forum, but you'll see John Lobb Paris (the one own by Hermes) much more often since they have a RTW division. While John Lobb St. James in London is a bespoke-only shop.

Both are great shoes but I thought JLP was a bit more stylish

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads