1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

I've got an appointment at lenscrafters tomorrow and I'll have to get some new eyeglasses. I've been wearing the same pair of thin-framed D&G glasses for like two years, so it's time for new ones.

I'm leaning towards these, but would like a few recommendations. Or should I just go with contacts?

Pic is what I usually dress like...except I'm not wearing glasses. (Yes, I know my hair is awful in this pic but I didn't take the time to fix it)

[​IMG]

Nice watch. Those D&Gs will work well. The logo seems a little big to me, but I like the shape of the frames.A little different.

2. SirGrotius

How does one rock suede derby shoes? I'm considering this pair by Lanvin (reasonably priced <$500):

[​IMG]

These are black. I'm assuming I can wear with nice denim, but what about dress pants and dress shirt? This particular pair is modeled with suits on the website, but I'm assuming that's a SF no no?

I have standard black leather loafers, oxfords, etc. I figure this might mix things up, but don't want a $400+ shoe sitting in my closet collecting dust.

3. Kenneth Cole Haan

Kenneth Cole Haan Well-Known Member

Where can I buy a good quality Ivory 100% linen sportcoat?

4. Knisse

Knisse Well-Known Member

Hi

Anyone that have experience with Charles Tyrwhitt sizing? - i am looking at their Chukka model, but other models would be helpful as well.

The reason i am asking is because i have found a pair of UK7 (US8) which has a outta sole measurement of 28cm - which is the same as my shoes, but that is kind of strange since i am a US7.

So, does Tyrwhitt run small?

5. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Well-Known Member

I saw this, Hickey Freeman Fancy Suit - Worsted Wool Item #3576T, at STP:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...l-For-Men.html

Any idea what line of suit it is? Madison? LTD? Other?

I have already asked STP staff to find out, but they can't do this till Monday, and the one day sale on it is over today.

Thanks.

6. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

How does one rock suede derby shoes? I'm considering this pair by Lanvin (reasonably priced <$500):

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee437/dndicicco/300363_mrp_fr_l.jpg[/IMG

These are black. I'm assuming I can wear with nice denim, but what about dress pants and dress shirt? This particular pair is modeled with suits on the website, but I'm assuming that's a SF no no?

I have standard black leather loafers, oxfords, etc. I figure this might mix things up, but don't want a $400+ shoe sitting in my closet collecting dust.[/I]

It's the exposed eyelets that would make me hesitate about wearing those with anything nicer than khakis and a nice shirt, not the black suede aspect. And the weird pattern, unless that's a photo artifact.

Jeans, khakis would be the realm where I would put those. Something without the shiny eyelets would probably be much more versatile in terms of dressing up.

7. SirGrotius

It's the exposed eyelets that would make me hesitate about wearing those with anything nicer than khakis and a nice shirt, not the black suede aspect. And the weird pattern, unless that's a photo artifact.

Jeans, khakis would be the realm where I would put those. Something without the shiny eyelets would probably be much more versatile in terms of dressing up.

Very good call.

8. JMSBNSN

JMSBNSN Well-Known Member

Anyone know what kind of jacket this is called?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have been trying to find a pair of quality dress shoes for work. Black ones.

A lot of the shoes at typical retailers are Made in China & sold under a particular brand. Frankly speaking, some of them tear apart in months, some actually hurt my feet. Is there something of quality, that lasts long and most of all has the comfort? I remember shoes use to be made of quality and the leather/material would hold up well.

I don't really care for brands, but I care about comfort, looks, and quality. Does anyone know of a place I could start? I'm in the USA.

Thanks.

10. SirGrotius

Hello,

I have been trying to find a pair of quality dress shoes for work. Black ones.

A lot of the shoes at typical retailers are Made in China & sold under a particular brand. Frankly speaking, some of them tear apart in months, some actually hurt my feet. Is there something of quality, that lasts long and most of all has the comfort? I remember shoes use to be made of quality and the leather/material would hold up well.

I don't really care for brands, but I care about comfort, looks, and quality. Does anyone know of a place I could start? I'm in the USA.

Thanks.

What kind of price range are you looking at? Keep in mind good shoes are a must in a work environment. Check out Allen Edmonds as a start. You can find them on sale here & there. They're good quality, made in usa, and have a variety of styles.

11. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

I've got an appointment at lenscrafters tomorrow and I'll have to get some new eyeglasses. I've been wearing the same pair of thin-framed D&G glasses for like two years, so it's time for new ones.

I'm leaning towards these, but would like a few recommendations. Or should I just go with contacts?

Pic is what I usually dress like...except I'm not wearing glasses. (Yes, I know my hair is awful in this pic but I didn't take the time to fix it)

[​IMG]

I think the frames will work well with your face.

12. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

so I had an 'accident' at lunch where I managed to get mustard all over my shirt and wool pants. Will the cleaners be able to remove said stains [​IMG]

Yes. Happened to me in the past but take them over the same day and tell them wher the stains are .

13. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Well-Known Member

Brother of a bride, Black suit, white shirt, what type of tie should I wear (no bow ties at this wedding). I was thinking a solid black, is that too boring?

14. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

Brother of a bride, Black suit, white shirt, what type of tie should I wear (no bow ties at this wedding). I was thinking a solid black, is that too boring?

You're supposed to be happy at a wedding. I'd keep the shirt .

15. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

Can't tell, is this a 50L? I guess I just am not sure how to read it:

[​IMG]

Looks like a 40S.

Taglia 40. Stature Cor

16. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

Did you mean a funeral? If so go ahead. Do NOT wear a black tie to a wedding.

17. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

What kind of price range are you looking at? Keep in mind good shoes are a must in a work environment. Check out Allen Edmonds as a start. You can find them on sale here & there. They're good quality, made in usa, and have a variety of styles.

Honestly, something just comfortable. Because I need the comfort for my feet. I want to feel/see a difference, as opposed to paying a premium for a brand.

I'll look around. there. I just dont want to keep replacing shoes that have the sole fall off, or catch scuffs really easy. Most of all, I want the comfort.

18. dasai

dasai Well-Known Member

Too sombre. Unless your sister is also deceased, ditch the black (both suit and tie). Go for a charcoal or navy suit and a tastefully-patterned tie.

I'll look around. there. I just dont want to keep replacing shoes that have the sole fall off, or catch scuffs really easy. Most of all, I want the comfort.
    The advantage of good quality dress shoes is that soles can be replaced and most scuffs will polish out. There is a break-in period, but the shoes last longer when taken care of, and will feel just fine as long as the fit is good. [​IMG]

19. Hornswaggler

Hornswaggler Well-Known Member

Any recommendations on a decent navy suit (possibly w/a subtle pinstripe) for under $400? I'm trying to fix my wardrobe, and am planning on getting a suit made in a couple months, but need something to be able to wear in two weeks. Since I'm not that excited about navy as a color, I figure that would be something to buy off the rack. (I have a couple 38Rs I bought back in the day that I swim in now -- I've started running marathons, and what were already a bit big before look thoroughly ridiculous now.)

Here's where things get tricky -- I'm 6', have short arms (I have a BB blazer that fits me well and is a 36S), and a 31 x 30 trouser size.

Thanks!

20. LaymanX

LaymanX Well-Known Member

Can someone give me a quick reply as to what the fuss is about Mabitex/Incotex?

Do they have superior fit/construction/feel? I've yet to see a pair IRL, so not sure whether to jump onto the hype bandwagon yet. [​IMG]

Thx