1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Well-Known Member

You can easily find Allen Edmonds shoes for considerably less than $325. Look on the B&S forum and eBay for new and gently used AE shoes. Some people dread the thought of wearing gently used shoes, but I think buying a shoe that has been worn only a few times is fine. I have purchased AE shoes on eBay in near new condition for $100 and less. Allen Edmonds is good because they offer recrafting service where you can have the soles and uppers replaced for $100. If you are still looking for a step-down shoe, you could try the Florsheim Imperial line. I would stay away from Johnston & Murphy.

Why stay away from Johnston and Murphy? I find them very comfortable, but admittedly I haven't gotten into some of the nicer brands yet. Grenson, AE, and Alden are all on my list. But until then I've been eyeballing some more Johnston and Murphy shoes.

2. Yika

Yika Well-Known Member

I was wondering about the no-break on pants. When you start walking around, do your socks start showing?

3. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Well-Known Member

I was wondering about the no-break on pants. When you start walking around, do your socks start showing?
    yes

4. GTI388

GTI388 Well-Known Member

Recently purchased 2 double breasted blazers. Never really cared for double breasted jackets, but thought I give it a try. What is the best way to wear them, any particular details I need to be aware of? (i.e they should always be buttoned, or can be worn open.....khakis, jeans?)

Note, i'm about 5'8 and 165lbs. Thanks in advance!

5. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Member

I've got another super noob question for you guys.
    Basically, I'd like to start wearing sports coats more and don't have the foggiest idea of how to do it.
    I've done lots of googling and it just confuses and overwhelms me. I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction for figuring this info out. My goals are the following:
    1) Wear a sport coat with Khaki's and polo's or button down shirts
    2) Wear a sport coat with tailored wool pants and button down shirt (I have fitted shirts)
    3) Wear a sport coat with jeans occasionally (not as important as first two goals)

Also, I'm going to get fitted for a new one later this month (Hemranjani) and have been overwhelmed by the options. I know there's a lot of subjectivity to this but I was hoping someone could point me to some guidelines for what fabric/ # of buttons/ etc... I should select.

Thanks!

6. UncleCozy

UncleCozy Well-Known Member

19 year old student - should I bid on a dark navy blue Corneliani DB 70/30 wool/mohair, which is a tad bit small in the waist? I don't know if there's fabric to let out (should be), but I intend on losing a few pounds when the snow comes off the ground. It's at 16$ now, 25 minutes left. Quick answers! [​IMG]

7. wEstSidE

what do you have to lose, for $16?

i missed the student part - bro that's like 30 ramen meals.

8. UncleCozy

what do you have to lose, for $16?

i missed the student part - bro that's like 30 ramen meals.

Went up to 40 bucks in the end with shipping! Still a steal though..

Saving up for a trip to London with the missus in may, so every little bit matters!

9. wEstSidE

you're married in college? 99 problems...

10. UncleCozy

you're married in college? 99 problems...

Slang on my part, I'm no hillbilly! [​IMG] High school! Dentist school this fall though!

11. fungz0r

fungz0r Well-Known Member

Any reason I shouldn't get a BB Fitz suit as my first suit?

12. wEstSidE

Any reason I shouldn't get a BB Fitz suit as my first suit?
    did you try it on?

13. fungz0r

fungz0r Well-Known Member

Yes I have tried one on, but theres a local BB so I would just be going there to buy it so they can make it fit properly

14. wEstSidE

15. PipersSon

PipersSon Well-Known Member

I'm not certain about shirt sizing conventions, for example what does it mean - 16-34/35? I think 16-34 is the neck size range, but what is 35? See this

16. wEstSidE

16 is the neck size
    34/35 is the sleeve
    meaning if your sleeve length is between 34 and 35 this is shirt would work.

17. PipersSon

PipersSon Well-Known Member

18. BoomDiggs

BoomDiggs Well-Known Member

I have been desperate to get a cotton suit for the summer. My problem is that my size is such that I am typically relegated to buying suit separates, and I haven't yet found a place that sells cotton separates. Oh, also, I suppose I should mention that I want to spend very little on a cotton suit, so MTM is out of the question.

I did find that the LL Bean Signature, Twill Blazer would fit me in all dimensions but one. Specifically, I usually wear a 48XL and while the coat will fit my chest and arms, it is four or five inches shorter than my usual suit jacket.

How absurd would that look? I know the kids these days like their jackets short in the body, but am I running the risk of looking foolish. I would like to make the decision without having to order and send back, thereby avoiding shipping both ways.

19. pvrhye

pvrhye Well-Known Member

Newbie question: Does the jacket covering-your-butt rule really apply if you have short legs?

You can go a bit shorter, but I wouldn't recommend radically shorter.

Related. You may be able to go shorter, but I'm not sure. For all I know, you may wear your coats long to begin with. Safest bet is, does it cover your ass?

20. erk

erk Well-Known Member

C&J last for wide foot?

For comparison, I just took delivery of an AE Strand in 12-EEE. I think it is a bit wider than I need but it sure is comfy!

Looking for a nice plain black cap-toe oxford for my wedding but I have about 6 months to get something. I really like the look of the hallam and audley...