1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Well-Known Member

Obviously there's nothing wrong with having lots of shirts, but if you need closet space then I think getting rid of some of them is pretty appropriate.

2. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Well-Known Member

I just spent 100 dollars on a pair of burgundy Bass loafers. It's my first pair of burgundy shoes. I already have black and brown belts to match my (nicer) black and brown shoes. Should I buy a burgundy belt now?

3. yesssir

yesssir Well-Known Member

Can dirty bucks and saddle shoes be worn year round or are they seasonal?

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I just spent 100 dollars on a pair of burgundy Bass loafers. It's my first pair of burgundy shoes. I already have black and brown belts to match my (nicer) black and brown shoes. Should I buy a burgundy belt now?

Ideally, yes a burgundy belt, however depending on the shade of burgundy most people can get away with a brown, or black belt if the color is close. If the burgundy is more red, then I think you have to get the burgundy belt.

5. boston_bred

boston_bred Well-Known Member

quick question: What are the most common/popular/affordable shoe trees? I'm looking to get a new, decent enough pair (cedar) but am not particicularly looking to pay out the ass for them.

6. zcaad9

zcaad9 Member

as a 21 year old, I have had a hard time upgrading my wardrobe with more professional dress.

Where is a good place to start looking for 33x36 dress pants (multiple colors), and a 38L slim navy suit.....on the cheap

7. yesssir

yesssir Well-Known Member

quick question: What are the most common/popular/affordable shoe trees? I'm looking to get a new, decent enough pair (cedar) but am not particicularly looking to pay out the ass for them.

I get my shoe trees from Jos A Banks. They are always on sale for less than $15.

8. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Nordstrom Rack has good quality shoe trees for $12.99 a pair.

9. fungz0r

fungz0r Well-Known Member

Good pair of versatile dress shoes for a 20 year old starting a more professional wardrobe?

10. pstoller

pstoller Well-Known Member

Can dirty bucks and saddle shoes be worn year round or are they seasonal?

There are certainly people who consider them to be seasonal. I think it depends partly on where you live and partly on how beholden you are to such traditions. I live in Los Angeles, and I dress for the weather rather than the season: if it's 70+ degrees out, I'll wear white bucks even if it's February.

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Good pair of versatile dress shoes for a 20 year old starting a more professional wardrobe?

A black captoe oxford. Look for Alden, Church, Crockett & Jones, Allen-Edmonds, Cheaney, Alfred Sargent...

12. Mudhiker

Mudhiker Well-Known Member

13. alvinkim14

alvinkim14 Member

Looking for a classy casual brown leather watch - budget is up to $3k
    (Blue hands or dial are a major plus)
    Any suggestions?

Also, I really like Paul Smith but I hate paying retail. Where can I find some good deals/sales?

14. Dinhilion

Dinhilion Well-Known Member

Since I am told that The Tie Bar ties suck total ass... anybody have some recommendations for moderately priced solid ties, say, $30 or less? I'm wanting to add some wool ones to my collection. (Not knit ties though. Don't have any use for those.)
    You are not going to find anything better then tie bar at that price unless you go thrifting or b and s. Does anyone have any details on lauren by Ralph lauren? I'm assuming that it is their bargain brand.

15. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

You are not going to find anything better then tie bar at that price bless you go thrifting or b and s.

Does anyone have any details on lauren by Ralph lauren? I'm assuming that it is their bargain brand.

AFAIK Lauren with the dark green label is a budget brand with outsourced manufacturing, aimed at warehous stores, TJmaxx etc. It's not well regarded on here. Someone did a breakdown of all the RL sub labels on here if you can be bothered to search, and I think that was bottom of the list. I got a decent summer cotton sports jacket in LRL for less than $100.

16. Dinhilion

Dinhilion Well-Known Member

AFAIK Lauren with the dark green label is a budget brand with outsourced manufacturing, aimed at warehous stores, TJmaxx etc. It's not well regarded on here. Someone did a breakdown of all the RL sub labels on here if you can be bothered to search, and I think that was bottom of the list. I got a decent summer cotton sports jacket in LRL for less than $100.

That's what I thought, thanks.

17. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Well-Known Member

If I'm ordering a shirt with french cuff from Moderntailor, and given that I currently do not own any french cuff style shirts, how am I suppose to know what size fits base on my wrist size. Or is it the same as regular button style?

Also, what is a convertible cuff? Both regular and french?

18. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

If I'm ordering a shirt with french cuff from Moderntailor, and given that I currently do not own any french cuff style shirts, how am I suppose to know what size fits base on my wrist size. Or is it the same as regular button style?

Also, what is a convertible cuff? Both regular and french?

Convertible - imagine a single button barrel cuff like you see on most traditional shirts. Now add a button hole behind the button so you have the choice to close your cuff with either a button or a link. I suggest you don't go this route. Get off the fence and choose either barrel cuff with button or double French cuff with link.

19. Kslim

Kslim Well-Known Member

I found this really nice navy Dior suit but I have no idea about their suits. What's everyone's opinions?

20. either/or

either/or Well-Known Member

Now add a button hole behind the button so you have the choice to close your cuff with either a button or a link. I suggest you don't go this route. Get off the fence and choose either barrel cuff with button or double French cuff with link.

ahhh thought so, but you just confirmed my suspicion (first mtm recently arrived).

[​IMG]

-I agree on the single-french-semi-hybrid-whatever-cuff looking weird, don't remember asking for it... [​IMG]

edit: probably thought "convertible" (in the local tongue [​IMG]) ment two buttons... [​IMG]