1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

can you please send it to me. i'm not american, so i can wear it with pride.

ps: honestly, i would keep it as a beater.

2. Kieran26

Kieran26 New Member

I'm buying an overcoat online. The seller (Korean) lists the coat as having a 20-inch wide chest (he says he measured it by laying it on the floor and taking the width of one side of the chest).

I did the same to my well-fitting suit jacket and it was around 19.5 inches. Should I buy the 20-inch overcoat, leaving 0.5 inches of room over my suit jacket?

~Kieran

3. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

is black hi-shine leather just as durable as black calf?
    It depends on what you mean by "hi-shine." If you're referring to corrected grain leather with a shiny finish, the answer is no. If you're referring to patent leather, the answer is probably not. There are different qualities of patent leather, but I don't think any of them are as durable as a quality full-grain calf leather.

4. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

Is it weird to wear a tie with a shirt with a monogram or logo? IE: Polo
    Yes, it is weird.

5. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Well-Known Member

6. acridsheep

acridsheep Well-Known Member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    http://www.landsend.com/pp/BlucherSh...&origin=search
    Anybody have any experience with these, are they worth buying for $50 to serve as a cheap pair of wingtips? (because I can't afford a nice pair)

Get a nice(r) used pair on eBay. I wish I'd learned my lesson with shoes earlier.

7. bleachboy

bleachboy Well-Known Member

This may seem like an odd question coming from a shoe horse such as myself, but what is the "ultimate" black dress shoe? Like, the shoe you would wear to a funeral or court appearance. Plain toe? Cap toe? Wholecut?

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

This may seem like an odd question coming from a shoe horse such as myself, but what is the "ultimate" black dress shoe? Like, the shoe you would wear to a funeral or court appearance. Plain toe? Cap toe? Wholecut?

Gaziano & Girling "Oxford"

9. onix

onix Well-Known Member

Plain cap toe bals.

10. onix

onix Well-Known Member

I'm buying an overcoat online. The seller (Korean) lists the coat as having a 20-inch wide chest (he says he measured it by laying it on the floor and taking the width of one side of the chest).

I did the same to my well-fitting suit jacket and it was around 19.5 inches. Should I buy the 20-inch overcoat, leaving 0.5 inches of room over my suit jacket?

~Kieran

To buy overcoat, it is more than just chest measurement. One thing that is often overlooked is the armhole measurement (at pit). You also need to check the shoulder size, especially when the overcoat shoulders are padded. Even if it has appropriate chest measurement but the armholes are higher than your suit jacket, then it will not work. Otherwise, 0.5 is fine.

11. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

in europe it is plain toe - either derby/blucher or bal/oxford, no wholecuts

in the U.S. it seems a bal cap toe.

12. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

RB overcoat
    BR scarf
    Gates gloves
    LP sweater
    Kiton pant
    BJ belt
    PS socks
    testoni slip-ons
    Kiton cologne
    Patek watch

13. zbelden00

zbelden00 Member

14. Troilus

Troilus Well-Known Member

My briefcase has a little scuff on one corner due to wear. Can I use a little shoe polish to touch it up, or is a bad idea?

15. bleachboy

Gaziano & Girling "Oxford"

Plain cap toe bals.

in europe it is plain toe - either derby/blucher or bal/oxford, no wholecuts

in the U.S. it seems a bal cap toe.

Sounds like a consensus. Thanks, fellows.

16. bleachboy

My briefcase has a little scuff on one corner due to wear. Can I use a little shoe polish to touch it up, or is a bad idea?

If it's black, go for it. I have touched up my wife's black purses in this way. I used shoe cream, though, not wax polish.

17. cromulated

cromulated Well-Known Member

It depends on what you mean by "hi-shine." If you're referring to corrected grain leather with a shiny finish, the answer is no. If you're referring to patent leather, the answer is probably not. There are different qualities of patent leather, but I don't think any of them are as durable as a quality full-grain calf leather.

ah, thanks. i mean "hi-shine" as on, say, the barker dermot (http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/1516.php) vs. the black calf barker flynn (http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/1520.php)

18. JamesX

JamesX Well-Known Member

Plain Toe without any embellishment is the most formal.

Not sure where Whole Cut fits in, my gut feels it is a casual shoe.

19. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

20. retozimmermann

retozimmermann Well-Known Member

Plain Toe without any embellishment is the most formal.

Not sure where Whole Cut fits in, my gut feels it is a casual shoe.

I disagree. It may depend on type of formality. If you're talking work-environment, a cap-toe Oxford is as formal as it gets. If you're talking festive occasion, then a wholecut beats the cap-toe. This doesn't mean it cannot be worn casually but it isn't a casual shoe as such.

In my view it is comparable to a dinner jacket: fewer buttons, no pocket flaps, generally cleaner lines. But I don't think one could say which is more formal: a dinner jacket or a blue navy two-button suit. It depends on the occasion.