1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    am i limited to wearing these ties in the winter?

2. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    am i limited to wearing these ties in the winter?

Unless your other ties feature gigantic clowns, I can't see why you would be...

3. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

Unless your other ties feature gigantic clowns, I can't see why you would be...

they're wool ties... wasn't sure if wool ties are winter-only thing or what

4. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Member

5. landshark

landshark Well-Known Member

They may be harder to wear in the summer because of the heat, especially since you are in LA. Pattern and color wise you are OK.

6. Rankiz

Rankiz Well-Known Member

Seen similar jackets from D&G and Kalvin Klein.

7. Rankiz

Rankiz Well-Known Member

In Norway we have Ralph Lauren with classic fit, custom fit and slim fit. I want the slimmest one, what is this compared to when ordering from Ralph Lauren online?

8. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

Not that substantial. You're only talking about cutting open the lapel, cutting it down, and resewing it. Possibly redoing some padstitching.

If the coat is fully canvassed, then it is not quite that simple. You would probably want to put some basting in to hold everything in place before taking it apart. You'll also have to redo the edge-tape along the edge of the lapel, which is slip-stitched to both the canvas and the front-part seam-allowance, and after slip-stitching the edge closed again you'll need to redo the prick-stitching along the edge.

If you're slimming it enough that you're cutting through the pad-stitching then I expect you would also need to re-pad-stitch the entire lapel, as cutting it will leave the rest loose and no longer able to help the lapel to hold its shape.

9. phailing101

phailing101 Well-Known Member

Hi guys- just wearing a new suit (Coppley- medium grey) and I'm trying to determine if my AE Strands in Walnut are too light of a colour......I should clarify that I'm cursed with colour blindness as well which can cause delusional colour matching choices at times!

I think they look OK but I'm thinking I'll wear a darker shade of brown shoes next time.

What do you think? Do the colours work?

Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. RyanAnderson

RyanAnderson Well-Known Member

Was just at Macy's and saw a gray Lauren by Ralph Lauren silver label sport coat. I don't have one in gray and was thinking it could work to fill out my wardrobe at a good price (with multiple discounts, it'll be around $175).

I've seen minimal references to the brand on the site, but apparently it's not owned by RL anymore and people think the clothes are crap.

can someone give me a reason why the clothes are crap quality and explain why I shouldn't go for it at such a low price?

Bump for some advice please?

11. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Hi guys- just wearing a new suit (Coppley- medium grey) and I'm trying to determine if my AE Strands in Walnut are too light of a colour......I should clarify that I'm cursed with colour blindness as well which can cause delusional colour matching choices at times!

I think they look OK but I'm thinking I'll wear a darker shade of brown shoes next time.

What do you think? Do the colours work?

Thanks!

I think they are a tad light for those trousers. I would probably give that look a shot in the spring, though - with a similar belt, light blue shirt and camel jacket it ought to work fine.

12. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Bump for some advice please?

Not really much specific knowledge on that line, so the best guesses I have are:

1. The fabric will show wear in a few seasons
    2. If it's a thin/flat fabric, you may notice bubbling as the glue-basting starts to give
    3. The fit will require a lot of tailoring to get right.

That said, if the color's right and the fit is spot-on, then you might not have a bad deal on your hands. But I'd still check B&S first.

13. iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Can I wear a suit jacket by itself? With jeans I mean.

14. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

Can I wear a suit jacket by itself? With jeans I mean.

The rules say 'no', but you can get away with it in certain cases; it depends what colour/pattern the jacket is. It must not be pin-striped.

15. kungapa

kungapa Well-Known Member

Crockett & Jones lasts -

Does anyone know where to find a guide to C&J bench-grade lasts? More specifically I am looking for something slightly less elongated than the 348 last.

16. chenzhongbi

chenzhongbi Well-Known Member

I'm interested in this BB suit as my first suit. My only concern is that the fabric is flannel. I saw the suit in a B&M store, the flannel was not heavy-weighted though. So is it acceptable for a first suit? Or I'd better find other suits with more conventional fabrics?

17. onix

onix Well-Known Member

Crockett & Jones lasts -

Does anyone know where to find a guide to C&J bench-grade lasts? More specifically I am looking for something slightly less elongated than the 348 last.

Just look through their catalog. This is a 2008-2009 catalog: http://plal.com/main/uploads/images/cj/cj2008-9.pdf

18. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

I'm interested in this BB suit as my first suit.
    My only concern is that the fabric is flannel. I saw the suit in a B&M store, the flannel was not heavy-weighted though. So is it acceptable for a first suit? Or I'd better find other suits with more conventional fabrics?

Flannel (iirc) only covers how the wool is woven into fabric, so I don't think that would be a concern. As for weight, I don't really call that a concern since you should wear something over it in the winter. Summertime may be another issue, though.

The issue, to me at least, concerns where you're going to wear this suit. The slim cut and narrow lapels may not play well in some workplaces (banks, law firms, etc), so I would take your intended use into consideration.

19. kungapa

kungapa Well-Known Member

20. chenzhongbi

chenzhongbi Well-Known Member

Flannel (iirc) only covers how the wool is woven into fabric, so I don't think that would be a concern. As for weight, I don't really call that a concern since you should wear something over it in the winter. Summertime may be another issue, though.

The issue, to me at least, concerns where you're going to wear this suit. The slim cut and narrow lapels may not play well in some workplaces (banks, law firms, etc), so I would take your intended use into consideration.

Thanks a lot for the reply.
    I'm still a graduate student, so the occasions when I need a suit are mainly academic conferences. Maybe I could take a look at their Fitz cut (whose lapels are slightly wider).