1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

i know there's an eyewear thread, but it's fairly dead so i'll post my question here.

can i do any better, from a price:quality ratio than the below two frames?

Maui Jim Red Sands:

[​IMG]

Ray Ban 4147 "Boyfriend"

[​IMG]

i definitely prefer the Red Sands from a perceived quality standpoint as i'm kind of against supporting Luxxotica

i have a large face so i'm hunting for some large, square-ish frames.

thanks!

2. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

Maybe not your style, but Kent Wang has some great polarized sunglasses for less than $75.

3. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

Probably. Neither Maui Jim, nor Ray Ban, is exactly the standard by which eyeglass frame quality is measured. They're of entirely adequate quality, I'm sure, just nothing extraordinary.

But if you like the frames, and you can afford them, then does it really matter if they represent the best price:quality ratio? You know, if you want to get technical, a pair of sunglasses costing 1/10 as much as the Maui Jims or Ray Bans, with 1/8 the quality, would actually have a better price:quality ratio than the frames you mention. 'Course, I'm not sure "Low quality, but way cheap!" is all that great a selling point. Then again, a billion Walmart shoppers can't be wrong.

Tell me, when you dine out, do you choose your meal based on which items on the menu offer the best price:calories ratio?

Me, I have a largish face (which seem fair, as I'm a larger than average sized man), like you. I'm quite happy with American Optical sunglasses. I'm well satisfied with their price:quality ratio, plus I figure if they were good enough for the likes of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin and a whole bunch of other astronauts, chances are they're good enough for me. But you indicate you want square-ish frames, and they're more of a classic aviator shape. Well, to each his own.

If you want faux tortoise frames, I've actually seen some Warby Parker frames which looked okay, and I understand they're not too dear. I don't know how trendy Warby Parker is, nowadays. A few years ago, they were all the rage.

I do agree with you about not supporting Luxottica, for what that's worth.

Below: Astronauts Pete Conrad (3rd man to walk on the moon) and Gordon Cooper (one of the original Mercury 7 astronauts), wearing their AO sunglasses. Conrad and Cooper were the flight crew for the Gemini 5 mission.

[​IMG]

Below: Buzz Aldrin (2nd man to walk on moon), with his AO Pilots in his left hand, as he places them into a sleeve pocket.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  4. thefastlife

quite funny you mention AO. i have 3 pairs. unfortunately all of them hurt my nose quite a bit. after only a few minutes of wear i have large red dimples on either side of the bridge of my nose.

if they fit me well, i would be perfectly happy with them. as-is, i can't stand to wear them much longer than 10 minutes or so. :(

5. 12345Michael54321

That's usually a pretty easy adjustment. The kind of thing an optician can fix in about a minute.

But if you've already gone to a competent optician, and she's tried valiantly to adjust the glasses so as to leave the sides of the bridge of your nose dimple-free, only to discover that it's a physical impossibility... well, then I guess you're right to give up on the AO frame and give something else a try. Such things can happen, I suppose.

Have you tried a larger size AO frame?

Or maybe your optician was incompetent, uncaring, or wanted to sell you some new frames.

6. thefastlife

i only went to one optician and what she did was adjust the arms, nothing with the nose pads.

maybe i'll try another...

7. 12345Michael54321

Yeah, probably worth considering.

Sort of how, if my car stalled every time I turned left, and when I brought it in to the dealer to have the problem fixed all the service technician did was check the air in my tires, I'd maybe be wise to try another service technician. :)

8. mrFurly

mrFurly Member

Anyone know anything about Hartmarx Brand Society?

Was it a lower level line of theirs?
    Its odd I cant find any info on it other than HSM bought them in the 50's.

9. thefastlife

so i went to another optician. she said the glasses look like they fit as they should. she added some kind of soft silicon gel sticker to the nosepads but i still have the issue,. after about 20 minutes they almost become unbearable.

i wonder if it's mainly due to the heft of the metal frame and glass lenses.

for those that also own the American Optical or Randolph Engineering Aviators with Glass Lenses: do you also find them to be uncomfortably heavy on the nose? maybe i just need to get used to them, but after 20 minutes i have big red imprints on either side of the bridge of my nose.

10. 12345Michael54321

So when you returned to the optician 20 minutes later, and showed her the big, red imprints on the sides of your nose, and explained that the glasses were almost unbearable, what did she do?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  11. muddy250

muddy250 Well-Known Member

Flannel over flannel?
    Will a flannel sport coat work over flannel trousers or is the lack of contrast in texture going to be an issue?

[​IMG]

I started of thinking of wool/tweed for this coat but flannel came up ...

I could always wear it over chinos instead of course :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  12. circumspice

circumspice Well-Known Member

Flannel over flannel works well

1 person likes this.
  13. muddy250

^ Thanks, I was hoping to hear that :)

14. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Mate, go for that all day :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  15. muddy250

Cheers Cleav, I was convinced I would get a tweed this time round but this flannel thing has it's hooks in me. I think I'll make an appointment at Steed and go see what they can do for me. I like the look of everything I've seen out of there.

16. CMBC

CMBC New Member

Hey everyone.
    I got a question regarding oxford casual shirts.
    Forgive my ignorance on this. I feel that (in respect to oxford shirts) I'm in that area where I know a little, but not enough, which is causing me confusion when I speak to so called "experts".
    My understanding is an oxford button down collar shirt is a casual shirt, and not a dress shirt. But when I go to places like Brooks Brothers, they classify them as "dress shirts".

What I am looking for is this: A casual shirt (untucked). Specifically:
    ------ Pinpoint Oxford
    ------ Button Down Collars
    ------ White.
    ------ Long Sleeve.
    ------ Slim fit.
    ------ Not completely transparent, but somewhat similar to white dress shirts and how they have a cloudy transparent look to them (this is where I believe the pinpoint oxford material comes in and makes the shirt look light weight, rather than the plain oxford which is a heavier thick fabric). The reason I want this is because it gives it a little more crisp look to it rather than the scrunchy plain oxford.
    ------ No pockets on the front if possible (again, to increase the dressy appearance, but this is not a requirement).
    ------ Hems "square" preferred (for being untucked), but can do short tails as well.

So there it is. I don't know if my little knowledge is taking me off the track of what is actually an oxford shirt. I currently own a plain oxford white shirt. So I know what those are. What I am trying to do is get one that is more dressy, but still a casual shirt. Almost as if I'm looking for a dress shirt that can be worn untucked with button down collars.

So I'm not here asking someone to give me a link directly to a shirt that meets that criteria (If you do have one, I'll take it), but I am rather trying to find out if I have taken an oxford pinpoint shirt, and am searching for something that doesn't really exist?

This shirt from Brooks Brothers appears to meet the criteria, but it'a a dress shirt, not a casual shirt. So it appears to be one to be tucked in, while I am looking for untucked. They say this is a pinpoint despite it not saying so in the description http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Regen...wn-Oxford-Dress-Shirt/ME02352,default,pd.html

17. Camilo

Camilo Well-Known Member

OCBDs can be worn with suits so what "casual" means may vary depending on who you're talking to. I think the classification of dress shirt vs casual for Brooks Brothers comes down to length of shirt. Do you have access to a Brooks Brothers store? Is that shirt too long to wear untucked? You could try Gitman Bros (not sure if they make pinpoint) or just order one from styleforum favorite Luxire. That said, I think a white one won't look casual.

18. CMBC

CMBC New Member

There is a brooks brothers store 3 hours from me and I plan to visit there in a month.

And yes, what I'm looking for may just be a dress shirt with a button down collar, and square hems so I can wear it untucked. This way it has a more crisp professional look than a typical oxford casual shirt.

With so few stores locally that sell anything to do with oxford, other than plain oxfords, it's difficult. And then when all the information tells me oxford shirts are supposed to be casual, not dress shirts, when I see Brooks Brothers and they market them all as dress shirts, it adds to the confusion.

19. CMBC

CMBC New Member

20. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

For shoe shining do you use a different horsehair brush for different colors (ie. one brush for black, one for red, one for browns)?

What about with chamois cotton cloth? different ones for each color blocks?