1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. facet

facet Well-Known Member

@accordian

To be honest, I think that jacket is way too short for you. Taking in the waist will, IMO, just end up accentuating your hips more, giving you a more hour glass shape. If you can, I'd recommend returning it and starting over.

2. Andrew Ryan

Andrew Ryan Well-Known Member

+1. He speaks the truth. Also, both those shirt collars are simply too small and look out of proportion with everything else. Try a higher collar band and definitely more spread with longer points.

3. doomx

doomx Well-Known Member

I am looking to pick a summer sportscoat. I already have a navy hopsack, a blue tropical wool (part of a Havana suit), a navy cotton pique and a navy linen (this last one fits terribly). This will be worn in the office (I am a physician so my work environment is not strict at all) with light gray, mid gray, tan, olive , off white and navy trousers. Which of the below would work better color-wise with the things I mentioned? I am afraid the brown one will clash with my mid gray trousers (I wear mid gray pants 2-3 days per week). The lighter colored one will be worn in a northern lights scheme most of the times, but I don't plan to wear this SC more than 2-3 times per month, and it's a classic summer color. Thoughts?

[​IMG]
    OR
    [​IMG]

4. dragon8

dragon8 Well-Known Member

The bottom one.

5. VirgilVerne

VirgilVerne Well-Known Member

how do people feel about Brogue Loafers? I feel like this isn't quite traditional and I'm not familiar with whether this is a fashion item or perfectly fine as classic wear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specifically I'm getting my first pair of loafer and it's coming down between these two.

I prefer the colour of the second one, they're both Herrings with the exact same specifications except for the last

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. pravda

pravda Well-Known Member

Those tan ones have awesome detail on the toe. They're my pick

1 person likes this.
  7. Steven Cash

Steven Cash Well-Known Member

They seem an uncomfortable mix of styles for me but if you like them go for them.

It would be very dull if we all liked the same things.

8. doomx

doomx Well-Known Member

@VirgilVerne I would get the top ones especially since this would be your first loafer. The bottom pair is too wonky for my taste.

1 person likes this.
  9. Slh

Slh Well-Known Member

I really like longwing blucher shoes and I stumbled on these meermin longwing:
    1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4635#

I would like to know: are longwing versatile enough to be worn with casual clothes like jeans and chinos but also with tailored clothes like flannell trousers, odd jackets?
    What would be the most versatile colour between the two. I honestly like the dark brown better.
    Also is there a better option instead of longwings for bridging the gap between "formal" and casual wear? I already own a pair of penny loafers, a pair of suede chukka and other casual shoes like sneakers, boat shoes,etc..

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  10. Steven Cash

Both of those are quite versatile though I would give the darker one the edge.

As regards bridging formal and casual wear no, not really. Brogueing is inherently less formal than a clean edge/seam but that does not necessarily make them casual - just a bit more countrified or rustic if you will.

Maybe look towards a semi-brogue adelaide; I find those to be quite versatile and about as formal as a shoe with brogueing can be however, I don't see anything wrong with your choices

1 person likes this.
  11. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

An open-laced plain toe or cap toe might be good.

1 person likes this.
  12. Slh

Slh Well-Known Member

ok, I'm looking for shoes I could wear with jeans and chinos but also with odd jackets, flannel trousers, something as versatile as my suede chukka which I wear with basically everything ( other than suits). I thought longwings could be similar. I see people wearing longwing with jeans ( http://images.thesartorialist.com/thumbnails/2011/12/121810AldenDetail_9215Web12.jpg and other examples ), doesn't mean it's correct, but still.

13. Steven Cash

Yes, I understood. Both shoes you have picked will work fine but I think the darker of the two would work better (as per your link).

You asked for suggestions of other styles will similar versatility and I find semi-brogue adelaides to be slightly smarter than the longwing bluchers you posted so would go better with suits whilst still being at home with jeans.

To be fair most shoes will go with the outfits you describe so the world is your oyster.

1 person likes this.
  14. volcanotristate

volcanotristate Active Member

Good afternoon, can black wingtips be worn with this? Thank you.[​IMG][/IMG]

15. Slh

Slh Well-Known Member

ok sorry I believe I misunderstood your post, with
    "As regards bridging formal and casual wear no, not really. Brogueing is inherently less formal than a clean edge/seam but that does not necessarily make them casual - just a bit more countrified or rustic if you will."
    I thought you were saying the longwings I posted were more casual than let's say a balmoral but still not casual enough to be worn with jeans. Ok I will go with the darker brown, as I said I like it more

16. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Well-Known Member

i'm sure it's been discussed on the forum before but it's very difficult to search for this because it brings up so many random hits

any recommendation for an iron? to iron clothes

17. volcanotristate

volcanotristate Active Member

Rowenta is an excellent brand
    G

18. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

19. accordion

accordion Well-Known Member

Question about tie width, I've read that the widest part of the tie should match with the widest part of the lapel, but I've also read that the tie shape should depend on your body shape. Which is preferred? Thanks.

20. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

Tie width and lapel width should typically be in general agreement. That means, for example, that a narrow lapel with a wide tie will tend to look wrong.

It does NOT mean that any great precision is required. There is absolutely no need to measure things and match them up. A general agreement is all that is needed.

It's also true that as a general thing, a wide tie will tend to look better on a man with a broad torso, than on a stick figure. And vice verse - a narrow tie will tend to look better on a man of more modest size, than on someone who weighs 340 lbs. and wears a size 54R (US) suit.

And for that matter, I'd maintain that there's also some correlation between the size of the wearer, and the best lapel width. In that narrow lapels will be more likely to flatter a slender wearer, than an overweight wearer. And vice versa.

So, in general, your build will influence your choice of lapel width and your choice of tie. The three things are all somewhat connected.

None of the above are laws carved in stone. They're merely guidelines, based on general observations. Exceptions exist.