1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Rrd0084

Rrd0084 Member

Is there some definitive answer to how low the lowest button should be on an overcoat?

I have one with 3 buttons single breasted with a fourth button at the stop to close up the lapels but is normally hidden.

What is the lowest the button should go that would be acceptable?

2. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

Honestly haven't seen the discussions regarding The Tie Bar before on SF. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I do feel like my more expensive ties are nicer. But then again maybe it's a placebo affect. I received the Tie Bar one as a gift.

3. AdductorMagnus

AdductorMagnus Well-Known Member

I have an event tonight with the ambiguous dresscode (at least in this day and age) "cocktail attire". I checked with the student committee arranging the event, and at least a shirt with a collar is expected (duh), so attire will likely range from jeans with untucked shirts to suit and tie. As this is a medical student event, there will be copious amounts of ethyl alcohol consumed. I'm going to opening night of Swan Lake tomorrow, and as my black-tie rig is not yet ready for action, I want to preserve my suit and good shirt for that, not risking spillage tonight.
    My options are thus nice dark blue jeans or black chinos with a black SC, shirt and tie/no tie. I need a new shirt anyway, what color would work with this? As I've learned on this forum, a black coat is hardly versatile, but it's what I've got. Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  4. SimonC

SimonC Well-Known Member

Despite the fancy language in the invite, it's a drunken party. Go with the jeans, shirt and a black coat if you have one (e.g. don't go out and buy anything). No tie. If I had a knit tie, I'd wear one just to show effort. I'd probably not buy one at short notice for a drinking party though.

Black chinos and black coat will be a bad look; especially if you're wearing a light shirt since it'll look like you've tried to do evening wear on the cheap without appreciating how far from the mark you've fallen.

Shirt-wise though, and this is a personal preference, I'd stick with light colours with either a small-scale or no pattern. Probably light blue to pull out the colour in the jeans.

1 person likes this.
  5. Churchill W

If this wasn't a university event and you hadn't already gotten direction from the student committee, I would say that cocktail attire would be suit and tie or nice dress if you were a woman.

6. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

are these pants way too casual in a business casual work environment where jeans aren't forbidden?

could you even tuck in an OCBD without looking ridiculous with these?

thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and while i'm at it, has anyone heard of the brand "Siviglia"?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  7. Churchill W

They look like chinos to me. If you got the fit fixed I think it should be fine. As pictured they look sloppy.

8. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

agree on the sloppy look but that could just be Yoox photography. lol.

9. AdductorMagnus

AdductorMagnus Well-Known Member

Update: Range is from jeans and untucked shirt via suits to DJs with jeans(!)
    I feel I'm better dressed than many.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

10. Kimistry

Kimistry Well-Known Member

I just got my SuitSupply jacket back from the tailor after getting the sleeves shortened. The jacket comes with surgeon cuffs and I needed it shorted by about an inch. My tailor recommended getting it shortened at the sleeve end because 1) it's cheaper and 2) she said that shortening at the shoulder would cause the arm hole to be smaller. What I didn't expect is that in the process of shortening at the cuff, she would fold the extra length into the inside of the sleeve, which then covered the bottom-most button hole. She then decided to stitch it shut. Is this normal? Should she have shortened the excess instead to keep the surgeon cuffs?

Thanks in advance!

11. thejoker

thejoker Well-Known Member

I would have thought that shortening from the shoulder would have been more appropriate. I have not experienced narrowing of the arm hole from that

12. xiaopigu

xiaopigu Active Member

Are there any shoe brands you would recommend for men with a high instep? I tried AE Lexingtons (65 last) but they killed my instep. I know Vass has oxfords suitable for a high instep, but I would like to keep the price lower than $400.

Thanks,

X

13. SimonC

SimonC Well-Known Member

Your alterations tailor does not do good work. Find another.

14. VirgilVerne

VirgilVerne Well-Known Member

15. pravda

pravda Well-Known Member

What point are you trying to prove? By wearing white, you obviously are trying to make a statement. You should post on "The State of Black Tie" thread as well.

Wearing indigo instead of white would make that statement better, or wear a white dinner jacket with black tuxedo pants imo

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  16. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

White dinner jackets are perfectly acceptable in certain circumstances: Summer evening events, evening events in year round warm climate locations, cruises in the summer time. Do you see the theme? White is a warm weather color when in this context. Of note: The jacket you linked to is awful. If you are going to wear a white dinner jacket, go as traditional as possible. Even in warm climates nearly everyone will be wearing black to black tie events anyway. Although acceptable, white jackets will still be fairly rare. Stand out for having good taste, not bad.

And yes, a full white tux would not be appropriate. White dinner jackets call for black formal trousers.

2 people like this.
  17. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

I second everything above.

18. RaggedyDandy

RaggedyDandy Well-Known Member

I second his second.

Also, arguments can be made that off-white/ivory is preferred over pure white, and shawl over peaks for white/ivory single-breasted. Both of these points are probably venturing into angels-and-pins territory, though.

19. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

I know this to be true, because on "I Dream of Jeannie," Maj. Nelson often wore white dinner jackets when attending various nighttime social functions. He lived in Cocoa Beach, FL, after all. Year 'round warm climate.

I figure if it's good enough for a genii-possessing 1960's astronaut who walked on the moon, dated Miss Galaxy, could've had a movie contract for his work as a technical advisor on a big Hollywood film, was offered the throne of Basenji, gave a piano recital at Carnegie Hall, etc., it's good enough for me.

P.S. - And since he was an astronaut, he presumably wore American Optical sunglasses. Yet another way in which Major Nelson was one hoopy frood, who really knew where his towel was.

3 people like this.
  20. breakaway01

breakaway01 Well-Known Member

Shortening from the shoulder is definitely more expensive but the right thing to do if you need to shorten by an inch.
    If you shorten too much from the shoulder then it is true that there might not be enough material left in the sleeve to fit into the armhole, since the sleeve diameter gets smaller as you go down the sleeve. But an inch is not too much.

1 person likes this.