1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Snaap

Snaap Member

Hi,

I've been lurking a lot and posting a little, mostly about my troubles finding decently fitting shirts.
    I feel like I finaly figured out what might cause my problem - I have very square shoulders apparently.

Now considering this new information, is there advice anyone could give me? (I'm sure I'm not the first person to "suffer" from that)
    Are there any brands that cut their shirts with a smaller slope than usual? Is this something that should make me look at MTM more strongly?

(btw. please keep in mind that I have a limited budget of 50-60€ per shirt, tops)

I'm really thankful for any adivce, I've been trying to deal with this issue for a while, so I would be very relieved if I could find a way to fix that.

Snaap

2. 1up

1up Well-Known Member

That is Sean Connery and I am Dutch.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  3. justbrowsingchi

justbrowsingchi Member

Hey guys,

I've seen I think at least 5 ads on Facebook for different "custom" clothing options.

http://fashionista.com/2014/07/8-tech-startups-tackling-clothing-fit
    http://www.inc.com/christina-desmarais/startups-custom-clothing-for-masses.html
    http://blog.fashionmetric.com/the-re-evolution-of-custom-clothing/
    https://creator.wework.com/wework-c...ar-entrepreneurs-its-us-against-the-big-guys/
    and I see Proper Cloth, Black Lapel, etc on Facebook.

Has anyone had any experience with these? Is there a thread comparing all of these different startups?

4. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

I'd say you could give us more input on wooden shoes than anyone then.

5. Snaap

Snaap Member

To make it more concrete, I was able to try some shirts (and a suit) on today, here are some pictures ( I did not tuck in, assuming that would make it easier to judge the sizing):

1. Charles Tyrwhitt 40,5 Extra Slim Fit
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

-> some rolling/pulling in the back, between the darts -> how bad? , cuffs too big?
    -> disregarding the cufs, how is the fit?

2. Charles Tyrwhitt 40,5 Slim Fit
    -> upper part of the shirt looks fine to me, should I consider keeping that and having the sides taken in?
    -> Should I try a size 39 or is it unlikely that it will fit?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  6. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

If that's OTR, bring it back.

7. nttdocomo

nttdocomo Well-Known Member

Yes, it's off the rack. I think I'll have to return it.

1 person likes this.
  8. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

Your jacket is far too tight all over, definite return.

9. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

So, my feeling is go with www.KentWang.com for online MTM. They're going to give you the best product/price ratio.

I believe Oliver Wicks finishes their suits by hand and has a full canvas option, but if you pay up for that option, you might as well go with Kent Wang. You can see his work all over this site. He is sort of a product of StyleForum, and active community member, and many of the best dressed people on the forum wear his clothing. You get full canvased, hand made suits and jackets for less than $800 (at the opening fabric grade). Can't be beat, in my opinion.

10. breakaway01

breakaway01 Well-Known Member

I like the Kent Wang jackets that I've seen posted so far, but I have to say, I don't think I've seen a pair of KW trousers that fit properly in the seat and rear thighs. Happy to be proven wrong, though.

11. justbrowsingchi

justbrowsingchi Member

How about for a younger feel? The shirts there are pretty blah, and not particularly "stylish" in my mind. They seem like a much better option for someone needing to wear a suit and tie to work everyday, but it doesn't look particularly great for my style.

12. BrooksLauren77

Define younger feel.

1 person likes this.
  13. justbrowsingchi

justbrowsingchi Member

Slim/X-Slim fit, something where I can wear it with a casual-er feeling pair of dress pants, with jeans, or with a tie and regular slacks.

The shirts that come to mind are a couple I have from the Original Penguin. Sleek Dark Blue, can be dressed up for a wedding or can be worn out for a night on the town without any issues.

The problem with the shirts on Kent Wang are that I'd simply never feel comfortable wearing that outside of a stuffy office. Even in my own office, I would look weird. It definitely doesn't look like anything that makes a statement that says "I know how to dress," it just feels like the same thing every 40-year-old office dad has worn, except it fits better.

14. Churchill W

It sounds like you are looking for "louder" shirting patterns, which I don't feel are appropriate for at least corporate office settings. Not that it's not done though.

I think shirts like that are more appropriate for creative settings such as marketing, design, etc.

I also feel like the "I know how to dress" impression is subjective. While one person may think someone is dressed well, another could be thinking the guy is peacocking.

15. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

Please provide an example of a shirt that says "I know how to dress."

16. Churchill W

17. BrooksLauren77

18. BrooksLauren77

3 people like this.
  19. Cossack

Cossack Member

That's the problem. I plan to wear at work with suits and everywhere else with jeans, khaki/chinos...

I believe the second is better with suits.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015