1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Well-Known Member

Any suggestions on where to look for decently priced wool trousers in NYC? I am looking for 5+ pairs for those "business casual" days when I am not wearing a suit.

2. Notreknip

Notreknip Well-Known Member

I'm having a heck of a time sourcing some thick (>2") contoured black plastic jacket/suit hangers.

The ones that Suitsupply provides would be a good example of what I'm after.

I'd be willing to spend up to $10 per, but I would assume I wouldn't need to spend much more than $2. I'm looking for 20, maybe 30.

I'm in Canada but desperate enough to consider a US proxy.

Any ideas?

3. dazedstate

dazedstate Well-Known Member

I have these and love them

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LI...uit+hangar&dpPl=1&dpID=41o2Mpw5+KL&ref=plSrch

4. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

No black please. And certainly not in the daytime. :fonz:

1 person likes this.
  5. patliean1

patliean1 Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I'm traveling to Dublin in a couple weeks and wondering are there any good shops in the city to pickup a nice wool overcoat. Preferably double breasted. Thanks

6. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

Contoured suit hangers are, of course, available from a myriad of sources. But the vast majority of the time, they're made of wood - not plastic.

Any particular reason why you want plastic ones? Wood arguably has some functional advantage as a hanger material, is easier to find with a pronounced contour (most plastic suit hangers are not all that thick), and will likely be regarded as more aesthetically pleasing my most people. And given how much the average suit costs, worrying about the comparatively trivial additional expense of a good wooden hanger over a plastic one seems a little silly.

Anyway, like I say, there are hundreds of choices if you'll accept wooden ones, with one of the more obvious choices available from Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/26132678?productRedirect=true They're 2" wide, cost $76/dozen, and I happen to own some, myself (same item, but not purchased from Walmart), and they do the job just fine.

A quick online search found a number of choices in plastic, if for whatever reason you're determined to go that way. Here's one - https://www.allendesigners.com/products/17_inch_contoured_black_plastic_suit_hangers#.Vd3et_TP3yo. Not as contoured as the wooden ones, but the plastic ones seldom are.

7. Notreknip

Thanks - and thanks to @dazedstate as well.

The rationale for plastic is purely economic. If I can spend $2 for something that functions the same as a $30 item, to me, it's a no brainer. (My closet is seen by my eyes only so esthetics don't matter.) I'd love to one day have a closet full of beautiful wooden hangers, but 30 jackets x $30 (+ the terrible CAD/USD exchange + duty + shipping) just isn't worth it.

I have a few wonderful, thick, sturdy, plastic hangers that I wish I could just replicate. Good ones do exist, but they are very difficult to source. 99% of my findings on Google aren't thick enough and/or are too narrow/wide; the 1% that looks good won't sell/ship to me. Perhaps if I were a retail store perhaps it wouldn't be so hard?

In the meantime, to all American SF members: PM me if you'd be willing to proxy the Walmart hangers (2 x 12 = 24) mentioned above.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  8. 12345Michael54321

The Walmart hangers are Proman Contoured Suit Hangers, which are sold by many retailers, Walmart simply being one of them. If nobody's interested in proxying them for you, I'm sure you could find them from various merchants willing to ship to Canada.

Wait, let me do a froogle.com check on it...

Okay, you could order them for Canadian delivery from Wayfair, Linens N Things, BeyondStores, and Barnes and Noble. Probably from other places, too, but I stopped checking after coming up with the aformentioned choices.

I could maybe understand you going for plastic if these wooden hangers were $30 each. But they're more like $6 each. Probably under $5 each, given the odd coupon or discount code. And I sort of doubt whether duty and shipping charges to Canada will add an additional $600 to the cost of the two dozen hangers.

1 person likes this.
  9. Notreknip

Wow, I'll fully investigate your suggestions when time allows, but for now all I can do is say thanks for going above and beyond!!

This thread really delivers; as a more senior member, I now feel the need to give back to it in some way. (I trust that is the point?)

Cheers!

10. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Well-Known Member

Black suit = no. Black chinos though? I think it's OK some days.

11. Churchill W

Churchill W Well-Known Member

In case you do want some nice hangers, Massdrop has the Hanger Project ones as part of a drop. $60 for three, but not sure how much the shipping to Canada will be.

12. Veremund

Whoever has 30 jackets in their closets most likely either has serious quantities of cash, or has a lot of crap jackets.

13. Veremund

Granted, I don't know your complexion (Black, brown, tan or pasty), but black clothing is rarely a good choice in the daytime. Countless shades of blue, grey or tan would be better.

14. Muscles

Muscles Member

I need help choosing which suit to wear or whether I should take the opportunity to get a new one.
    A friend is getting married in Summer (here in Australia) and has decided that the dress code will be "formal". It's in a country location and wedding will be at 4pm, reception at 6pm.
    When I questioned the dress code they said "no tuxedos / dinner suits / black tie".

The groom is wearing a navy suit with a bow tie, groomsmen will be wearing light grey suits also with bow ties.

I have 5 suits: navy, navy pinstripe, light grey, dark grey and charcoal - all in wool that are used for business purposes. Before hearing what the Groom was going to wear I had settled for the Navy but now I am not so sure. Which would you go with? Or would you take the opp. to add another suit to the wardrobe?

15. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with navy or charcoal.

16. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the groom's wearing navy. So it might be a little weird wearing navy or light gray, and you don't want to wear pinstripes to an afternoon wedding. I say either go with the dark gray or get a new one in a cobalt blue or something less businessy. Oh! Maybe a POW check.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  17. srtorlybankrupt

srtorlybankrupt New Member

I need help with shoes!

I'll be wearing a charcoal suit with a white and blue gingham shirt along with a dark red bowtie to a dressy but colorful event.

I found these amazing navy blue Gucci burnished oxfords. They are a slightly darker blue than the shirt.

Should I go for them or should I stick to a safe pair of black Allen Edmonds?

18. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

I've never heard of the groom wearing the most common suit color (navy) precluding any other visitors from wearing it as well.

19. 12345Michael54321

Well, your friend has decided that the dress code will be "Dress nicely, but less formally than a tuxedo." That's not the traditionally accepted definition of "formal," but at least you sought clarification and now understand what was meant.

It's like when a bride specifies "semi-formal," when what she means is "less dressy than a suit and tie, but no jeans or t-shirts." (Yes, I have encountered this. I really have.)

Okay. No conflict here with what your friend told you. You should wear a suit. Not a tuxedo. Not a sportcoat. A suit. Seems straight forward enough.

There's a general rule - not a law carved in stone, but not a completely obsolete guideline, either - that pinstripes are more for business, than for social events. As a wedding is a social event, and as you have several non-pinstripe suits, you should rule out wearing the navy pinstripe.

Charcoal usually tends to be a little more staid and conservative than navy or light/medium grey. This doesn't necessarily make it a wrong choice here, but given that it's a daytime summer country wedding, and the groomsmen will be in light grey (a suit color notably more casual than charcoal), I'd probably not go for the charcoal suit.

Again, I'm not saying it'd be a horrible mistake, just that I don't think it'd be the best choice.

Dark grey is a lot like charcoal. Just a little less so. If you follow me.

I'd recommend you wear the navy or the light grey. Either one would be fine. Assuming both fit you equally well, and you can't decide which to wear, toss a coin.

That the groom will wear a navy suit does not in any way preclude you from wearing a navy suit. It's not like a woman showing up at a wedding wearing a white dress of a sort which could easily be mistaken for the bride's wedding gown. (Which is just tacky. And yeah, I've seen this, too. And the woman in the white dress which closely resembled a wedding gown was the groom's mother. And the bride's mother got pretty upset about it. Don't ask.)

Hey, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a new suit, go ahead and let the wedding be your excuse. Why not? Maybe a nice tan suit. You don't already have one, and for a daytime country wedding, in the summer, and given what the groom and groomsmen are going to be wearing, I think a nice tan suit could be a fine choice.

'Course, this assumes you look good in tan. Some people do, and some people don't.

When all is said and done, so long as you're not dressed completely inappropriately, nobody will take much notice of what you're wearing. You're a male wedding guest, not even a groomsman - you're practically invisible. So no need to stress over this suit decision.

Now, the shirt/tie/pocket square/boutonniere/cuff link/belt/braces/undershirt/wristwatch/socks/shoes decisions are key. Utterly make or break. Agonize over them. :)

20. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

I agree with that, but I can still understand how it make someone feel uncomfortable.