1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Jurgis

Jurgis Well-Known Member

2. 2slowt67

2slowt67 New Member

good after noon I'm in a big dilemma i want to buy my first pair of Alden indy boots but not sure if u should get the 403 or 405 anyone?

3. breakaway01

breakaway01 Well-Known Member

My understanding is that size 23 in this system is a short 46EU (46 divided by 2) or US 36S
    Conversely, US 40L would be a long 50EU or size 100.

4. positivenote

positivenote Member

anyone any suggestions for a tie to go with the shoes-suit combo I posted earlier in the thread? thanks

5. R125S

R125S Member

Which blazer for this combo?

Navy and dark brown (same shade as shoes and belt) are safe choices, but I'm thinking about something more attractive (striking, don't know is it right word, sorry :D ). Dark brown seems too casual, and with navy/blue there will be too much of blue tone. What about beige or something in-between beige and brown? And what about pocket square on those colors?

[​IMG]

6. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

It's quite rare that any blazer or sport coat is too casual to be paired with a pair of blue jeans. Much more typically, it's the opposite which is the case.

Dressing well needn't involve such fine-grained distinctions as shades darker than dark beige, but lighter than light brown. If you need a spectrophotometer to choose the right color blazer, you're trying way too hard. :)

Anyway, if you don't want beige, and you don't want brown, and you don't want blue, how about a casual grey jacket?

[/quote]And what about pocket square on those colors?[/quote]
    Okay, purely a matter of personal preference on my part, but here goes -

I don't like to wear jeans and a blazer. I know that there are men who like this combination, but it doesn't appeal to me. Although, in fairness, I'm not a big fan of jeans to begin with, unless I'm engaged in some activity where jeans make obvious sense (like horseback riding, for example - not that I'd normally wear a blazer while horseback riding). And admittedly, I'm 50+ years old, so what I like and what a hypothetical 20-something might like, will often be totally different things. Still, now you at least have some idea where I'm coming from.

But to whatever extent I can accept the jeans + blazer pairing, I'd regard tossing a pocket square into the mix as a mistake. It often tends to up the formality of the blazer, when the contrast in formality between jeans and blazer is already quite high - unpleasantly high, in my opinion.

If you're going for a "classic" look (and this is the Classic Menswear forum), I just think there are almost always better types of pants to wear with a blazer, than blue jeans. Even chinos - while themselves pretty casual pants - rank way ahead of jeans, for pairing with a blazer or sport coat.

If you're trying for some sort of look of youthful insouciance, fine. So be it. But it seems to me that for such a look to be honest, it shouldn't be the result of carefully studied color graduations and pocket square selection. Just grab whatever jacket you have resting on the back of the chair, pull it on, slip your feet into whatever pair of athletic shoes are sitting on the floor by your bed, and be done with it. And thereby exhibit a genuinely carefree and casual look, as opposed to a meticulously crafted and not entirely convincing facsimile of the look.

But again, that's just my take on it.

1 person likes this.
  7. R125S

R125S Member

I didn't said that I don't want beige, just asking about opinion if that color matches these on picture or it is too bright for this combination? Sorry for bad English

this is something what I said in between dark brown and beige, I already decided to go with above combination, but still don't know which color for blazer

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. cakv

cakv Well-Known Member

That coat had so much potential to be great looking...

9. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

If you crop the picture to just below the second button it looks great.

10. R125S

R125S Member

It's not about this picture, but color of blazer :)

11. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Both of those are super fake.

12. climbergray

climbergray New Member

Making a venture to Spain and would like to make additional contact for custom shoes. any travels or connections to Madrid, Sevilla, or Spain?

13. deadAngle

deadAngle Well-Known Member

No love for bellows pockets?

14. thesftailor

thesftailor Active Member

Bellows pockets for a more casual look... safari nostalgia, perhaps.

15. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

When they finish above the crotch, yeah.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  16. R125S

R125S Member

Me again. :) I've decided to go with something different to event because I found this suit for good price. I'm not sure about shirt because of color and paisley detailing, maybe this one is more safe choice with same pocket square?

http://static.zara.net/photos//2015.../6887406403_1_1_1.jpg?timestamp=1426180148097

http://static.zara.net/photos//2015.../6887406403_2_3_1.jpg?timestamp=1426180126893

I'm new to suits, this is my first one, what do you think about overall look, fitment?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picture quality is terrible, I'm sorry, suit is linen, really light beige.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  17. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

I had something like that happen to a pair of AE shoes. I took it to a cobbler and he said it's unrepairable? My mistake was I applied saphir but instead of wiping it off I left it on overnight thinking it would somehow make it extra nice (dumb of me). Instead when I came back the next day I had those horrible spots on my merlot colored shoes.

18. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

Far too tight, return.

19. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

Dark green tie to compliment your hair. Try Kent Wang and Brooks Brothers for ties under $100.
    Second pair looks much better than the first.

1 person likes this.
  20. theh00d

theh00d Well-Known Member

Looking for places I can get some nice wool dresser trousers/flannel pants in size 28 around/under $200 range.
    I know of Epaulet and Howard Yount, but I need some alternatives.

Also J.Crew Ludlow Suit Pants (Classic) in Italian Chino though fits me well. Anything similar?

Thanks.